Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New Build - RestoMod Schwinn

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-20, 06:00 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts

Some sort of late 80s/early 90s LeTour sporting 3x7 Accushift. This is for a friend of my daughter's, for that girl's fiancee for Christmas.

It'll be upgraded to MicroShift STI, with new consumables throughout.

QUESTION: Will a Deore LX FD-M550 (front triple) shift with a road STI shifter? I'm thinking yes. Tell me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 09-24-20 at 08:13 PM.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 09-24-20, 08:16 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

I will keep the Blaze calipers on it.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 09-24-20, 08:18 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

The Accushift stuff will go into the parts bin. It apoears to be indexing correctly, though.
Old 09-24-20, 10:35 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Unless Microshift makes a road shifter for MTB front derailleurs, you'll need a road triple front. Shimano index-compatible road and MTB front derailleurs have different actuation ratios.

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 09-24-20, 11:03 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Some sort of late 80s/early 90s LeTour sporting 3x7 Accushift. This is for a friend of my daughter's, for that girl's fiancee for Christmas.

It'll be upgraded to MicroShift STI, with new consumables throughout.

QUESTION: Will a Deore LX FD-M550 (front triple) shift with a road STI shifter? I'm thinking yes. Tell me if I'm wrong. Thanks.
No. Shimano mountain triple front shifters pull more cable than their road triple shifters. You need a road triple front derailleur. A 105 or Ultegra would work.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 09-25-20, 06:37 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I did vaguely recall something like this. I've gone with a MicroShift branded front road triple that will work with the shifters. Phil
Old 09-25-20, 08:16 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
I have a "newer" (late 90s) Schwinn LeTour and it's one of my favorite bike to ride! Mine is 2 x 7 with the Blaze / Accushift group. Mine seems to work fine and I have no intention of upgrading any components. I usually have it switched to the "friction" mode but the indexing does work!
Your daughter's friend's fiancé will be getting a nice bike!
Old 09-26-20, 10:39 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 858 Posts
I would have used 7s Command shifters on this one I think, but not everyone likes the old aero brake levers and the Command shifters are few and far between these days.

Believe it or not, I have used road triple STI levers with old Deore triple front derailers (resto-modding a couple of 1980's Trek aluminum bikes), but it required that the cable be anchored differently at the pinch bolt. I don't recommend it though, because on one of the bikes there was a pronounced tendency for the downshift from the big ring to drop straight to the granny ring as the internal ratchet apparently couldn't move fast enough to catch the middle-ring position with the added tension caused by the re-wired cable attachment. Perhaps the one bike had too smooth of a cable/housing to moderate the aggressive return force of the re-wired Deore mech, or perhaps the faulty one somehow incurred more return-spring force(?).
Levers were RSX STI 7s in all cases, one setup worked well enough and the other one didn't. I lubed the heck out of the afflicted bike's shifter, even replaced it eventually, but to no avail.

Last edited by dddd; 09-26-20 at 10:51 AM.