Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bad luck with bike shop repairs?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-18, 02:55 PM
BazookaFro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Am I the only one that seems to never have a generally good experience with bike shop repairs? Now I'm a stickler, and I try to repair things to my own standard, but sometimes I feel alittle in over my head and the real world experience of a bicycle mechanic can be invaluable. But for anything outside of basic tune ups, I have always had bad luck with shop repair, whether it was my crappy huffy hardtail from my childhood, to my roadbikes today, something always seems to slip through the cracks. Im curious if anyone else feels the same.

Last edited by BazookaFro; 07-19-18 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-19-18, 03:06 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7033 Post(s)
Liked 11,068 Times in 4,729 Posts
No, I don't feel that way.
Old 07-19-18, 03:19 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2609 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 1,221 Posts
Probably not the only one, but it's been more than 10 years since I had a problem with a bike shop repair.
Old 07-19-18, 04:32 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I do most of my own repairs/maintenance,

and have been generally dissatisfied with work done by bike shops.
Old 07-19-18, 04:45 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2136 Post(s)
Liked 1,649 Times in 830 Posts
I do most of my own stuff. On the few occasions I have used bike shops I have been generally satisfied. I just had a great experience with The Alpineer in Crested Butte CO. I had a disc brake dragging and didn't have time or tools to deal with it. I pedaled into the store at about 3 pm, figuring they would need to keep it until the next day. The technician was apologetic that he couldn't do it on the spot. He told me it would be ready by 5. It was done correctly at 430.

OP, what specific issues are you having and did you discuss your dissatisfaction with the shop?
Old 07-19-18, 05:02 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,002 Times in 1,929 Posts
90% of the shops locally have dropped the ball in some way when ever i've taken my bike in for them to service.
the 10% that have done me well, they make up for the dissatisfaction with the repair bill.

I do as much as I can before taking it in.
Old 07-19-18, 05:35 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I’ve been doing my own wrenching for the last three years but have been dealing with the same shop for the last eight. On everything they have done for me, they have gone above and beyond what other shops in the area do. I recommend it to every cyclist I know that lives in this area.
Old 07-19-18, 08:05 PM
Karman321

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve had many bad expierences with bike shops. It seems if you aren’t willing to purchase a bike from them they are going to charge up the ass for simple repairs. Not only this, but they make it seem like it’s so complicated and that you will die if their recommended list of work isn’t done. Ex. Changing tires when I just bought new ones 8 months ago and the slight rubbing on the frame took off the lettering on the side of the tire. The shop calls me to tell me that the tires ‘almost blew out on them’ how do tires ALMOST blow out...
Old 07-19-18, 08:27 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,359 Posts
I don't think I have ever had a repair done in a bike shop. Everything is done at home.

And, yes, I also make some mistakes... well, I have those "Learning Experiences".

I have observed shops, and shop work, and I tend to have a different approach to many things than a shop, and have to wonder how thorough they are with things like a tune-up. Or, perhaps I define a bike tune-up differently than the typical shop.

Perhaps one of the most important things is simply learning about your bike. Fix it or not, learn to observe when things are working right, and when they aren't before it becomes a critical failure.
Old 07-19-18, 08:35 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Basically 2 types of customers. The ones that can't fix a flat and hire the LBS to do that. Those people will be impressed by whatever the "gods behind the counter" do.
Then the people that can wrench and use the internet, they will never be happy with the LBS.

Knowing how to do it right (even just from watching youtube and never actually doing) is a curse, you will never be satisfied by what someone else does.
Old 07-20-18, 12:06 AM
. Cranky .
Idiot Pro Tempore

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 23 Posts
I once took a bike in for a full clean and lube package, and upon being called five days later and told they were finished, came in and found my bike cable locked to a rack of dirty kids' bikes in front of the shop and coated in a fine layer of windblown desert dust.
Old 07-20-18, 02:12 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,002 Times in 1,929 Posts
back when i purchased a bike from the lbs that came with a "warranty" from the lbs as well as oem, the experience from exercising the "warranty" really made situations worse for looking up to a lbs.

The parts were covered by both warranties, however, neither covered the labor. however, only the oem warranty clearly stated it would only cover the parts, whereas the lbs warranty did not address specifically how limited the coverage was. Since the lbs was not willing to work out a deal on labor, I received my new parts in hand & replaced them myself.
*The oem warranty only required an authorized dealer to determine which bicycle parts were at fault not requiring an authorized shop to complete the installation.
Sadly, the "free" tune-up service provided by the lbs from the initial purchases could not been used either. The only thing "free" was detailed in there documentation, & that was basically seat adjustment, cable checking (not clearly stated to mean adjustment), handlebar adjustment, tire psi checking, chain wear inspection, gear inspection... All that points to is digging for work.
Old 07-20-18, 02:27 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
No, I don't feel that way.
Neither do I. I had a great old-timer mechanic and always left happy and satisfied.
Old 07-20-18, 04:45 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
I have used two shops in Gainesville for assistance a couple times. One is trail side on my commute, the other is the coop where I also occasionally volunteer. In each case more than fairly treated and done right.
Old 07-20-18, 05:06 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18446 Post(s)
Liked 15,679 Times in 7,370 Posts
Originally Posted by BazookaFro
Am I the only one that seems to never have a generally good experience with bike shop repairs?
Yes.
Old 07-20-18, 05:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
Basically 2 types of customers. The ones that can't fix a flat and hire the LBS to do that. Those people will be impressed by whatever the "gods behind the counter" do.
Then the people that can wrench and use the internet, they will never be happy with the LBS.

Knowing how to do it right (even just from watching youtube and never actually doing) is a curse, you will never be satisfied by what someone else does.
I think there's a big middle category which I happen to be in. I'm comfortable changing tires, installing some stuff, doing basic maintenance, but I hate dealing with cables and deraillieurs. We want to leave the time consuming stuff to a pro. That's generally working out well for me, but I have two good repair shops in town. I think the competition makes them both sharp.
Old 07-20-18, 05:11 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
That's 3 by my count. And it doesn't include people like myself who choose not to do most of their own work, visit only shops that provide great service and will take issue when someone makes a mistake or doesn't do something perfectly, always remembering that people are human and thus imperfect. You also left out people who tour and are sometimes forced to pay a visit to a LBS despite their level of competence with tools.
Old 07-20-18, 05:16 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
As well as those that only want to use the restroom.

It's a tough business trying to run a bike shop these days, I doubt it has ever been tougher, so I don't fault them for doing what they need to survive. But I'm at a point where I know as much or more than they do, so unless they have a tool I need, they never touch my bikes.

When I was at a level where they knew more than I did, I was always happy with the work done, just not happy having to pay for it.
Old 07-20-18, 05:30 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
My area's excellent, decades-old shop closed down a few years ago, and the others seem to charge a butt-load of money to do anything. I don't know how the quality of their work is, but their prices have completely run me to my tools and You-tube videos.
So far, so good.
Old 07-20-18, 05:34 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think there's a big middle category which I happen to be in. I'm comfortable changing tires, installing some stuff, doing basic maintenance, but I hate dealing with cables and deraillieurs. We want to leave the time consuming stuff to a pro. That's generally working out well for me, but I have two good repair shops in town. I think the competition makes them both sharp.
Exactly. See my post directly below yours.
Old 07-20-18, 09:47 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Sadly, the "free" tune-up service provided by the lbs from the initial purchases could not been used either. The only thing "free" was detailed in there documentation, & that was basically seat adjustment, cable checking (not clearly stated to mean adjustment), handlebar adjustment, tire psi checking, chain wear inspection, gear inspection... All that points to is digging for work.
In other words, all the stuff a cyclist should be able to do at home.
Old 07-20-18, 05:58 PM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
My opinion is that the bike shop doesn't care about my bike as much as I do, so I do my own work.

Working on a bike is not difficult especially given youtube. So the only time a bike shop sees my bike is for warranty work or to cut the steering tube. I'll pay them to cut the tube just as an insurance policy in case something goes wrong - I'm a little afraid of making that kind of mistake.

In addition, we all know time is money. I can normally do maintenance on my bike faster than the travel time to/from the LBS. Bikes just aren't complicated to work on.
Old 07-20-18, 06:57 PM
tclune

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
When I moved here a few years ago, there were four bicycle shops within about five miles. I tried them all, and only one did a competent job on repairs. That one is excellent. Henry Ford once said that 90% of everything is crap. I think that's probably true of lbses. I might add that word of mouth is a terrible indicator of the competence of bike shops IME. All of the shops had people who would rave about them. Go figure.
Old 07-22-18, 04:31 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by tclune
When I moved here a few years ago, there were four bicycle shops within about five miles. I tried them all, and only one did a competent job on repairs. That one is excellent. Henry Ford once said that 90% of everything is crap. I think that's probably true of lbses. I might add that word of mouth is a terrible indicator of the competence of bike shops IME. All of the shops had people who would rave about them. Go figure.
90% of attributions on the internet are wrong. Henry Ford never said that, Theodore Sturgeon did.
I've never had a LBS botch a repair or charge me unreasonably. Overall, I have had much better luck with bike mechanics than car mechanics. The worst thing anyone of them has done is to try to sell me on stuff I don't want, and I can't blame them for trying.
Old 07-22-18, 05:22 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
I do most work myself, but for some jobs like wheel truing, cottered bottom bracket servicing, I'm very happy to pay a trusted LBS.

Note the word trusted - I've got several shops in the town I live in but take my bikes to a shop in a village 10 miles away. I've always had good service there, they're not fazed at all by a 40 year old French bike, take the time to talk to their customers, don't try to charge for extra parts (had a local shop try and charge me once for new brake pads in place of the ones I'd fitted a couple of weeks earlier), and the standard of their work means I feel safe riding a bike they've worked on. Cost is comparable to the shops in town, although factoring in the cost of fuel for a 20 mile round trip makes it more expensive. Money well spent though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.