Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

When drivers aren't paying attention

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 10-28-11, 07:12 PM
b_twill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

On my way home yesterday I was keeping an eye on traffic behind me and noticed a pickup truck coming up behind me and not moving over. I don't think the driver saw me till he got rather close. Any idea how to get drivers attention if they are coming up behind you and not moving over? This guy did move over and gave a long honk as he passed, but it was close enough that I was checking how much room I had to my right. Would waving my left arm have helped? I had two red blinkies going (probably not much help during the day) and wearing a bright yellow/green jacket and riding near the right wheel track.
Old 10-28-11, 07:23 PM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 437 Posts
You did your part. Idiots will be idiots. There's only so much one can do. Was this at night? I use lights fore and aft, day or night. If you use panniers, do they have reflective material on all sides? Presenting a larger profile could help.
Old 10-28-11, 07:38 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by b_twill
On my way home yesterday I was keeping an eye on traffic behind me and noticed a pickup truck coming up behind me and not moving over. I don't think the driver saw me till he got rather close. Any idea how to get drivers attention if they are coming up behind you and not moving over? This guy did move over and gave a long honk as he passed, but it was close enough that I was checking how much room I had to my right. Would waving my left arm have helped? I had two red blinkies going (probably not much help during the day) and wearing a bright yellow/green jacket and riding near the right wheel track.
Make sure you are taking enough of the lane so that he doesn't try to pass you in your lane. That is actually the worst... I try to stay right in the middle of the lane. I used to go for the right tire groove, but I found that even there it will let some cars think I'm yielding the lane.

If you want to retaliate for the honking, you could consider an Airzounds, but a thick skin is what you really need. Just try to ignore it.
Old 10-28-11, 07:42 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
What kind of blinkies? Some I've come up on aren't visible till you are too close. A good blinkie (I use Planet Bike Superflash Turbos) can be seen from a good distance even in brighjt sunlight. But nothing will work every time.
Old 10-28-11, 07:44 PM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by CACycling
What kind of blinkies? Some I've come up on aren't visible till you are too close. A good blinkie (I use Planet Bike Superflash Turbos) can be seen from a good distance even in brighjt sunlight. But nothing will work every time.
Good points. Also make sure they are mounted properly. I.e. High enough...on the seatpost would be best. Also aimed well...not clipped onto a bag that's sagging thereby flashing more towards the ground.
Old 10-28-11, 09:11 PM
jsdavis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by skijor
Good points. Also make sure they are mounted properly. I.e. High enough...on the seatpost would be best. Also aimed well...not clipped onto a bag that's sagging thereby flashing more towards the ground.
Neither should they be pointed towards the sky. LEDs have a narrow visible angle; sometimes as little as 30 off center axis and you lose most of the light.
Old 10-28-11, 10:08 PM
Easy Peasy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also put a blinky on the back of my helmet which is closer to a truck driver's level than on a rear rack or seat post.
Old 10-28-11, 10:13 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I don't think even airport landing lights wouldn't have made this motorist move over, sounds like a deliberate action taken by this particular motorist, and the horn honk was just an exclamation point to his statement.

Old 10-28-11, 10:19 PM
Ratchet
stupid after seven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skijor
Presenting a larger profile could help.
AWESOME!!!! An excuse to eat more pie
Old 10-29-11, 12:09 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
I don't think even airport landing lights wouldn't have made this motorist move over, sounds like a deliberate action taken by this particular motorist, and the horn honk was just an exclamation point to his statement.
I agree, this driver probably seen you just fine but wanted to "teach you a lesson" or "show you who's boss". When I see this behind me I move even farther left. Then as the JAM is just about to overtake me I'll move right into my buffer zone. Pedal On!
Old 10-29-11, 12:23 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by b_twill
If you haven't already, you can mount a powerful light on your helmet and
as you look back - doing a check; you could light up the offender(I mean
motorist) directly in the face to get their attention.
Old 10-29-11, 05:32 AM
b_twill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two blinkies, one on the seat post (Mars 3.0), and one on my backpack (Nathan clip on 'runners' light). They work good in the dark, even had coworkers comment how well they could see me. I'm planning on updating all my lights here soon. I also agree that one could be towing a carbon arc search light and someone would still claim they didn't see you!
Old 10-29-11, 08:24 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
Plus One on this and the comment from AlmostTrick, this guy knew you were there and wanted to teach you a lesson. The horn honk is the biggest clue.
Old 10-29-11, 08:31 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my 2 cents....

The best you can do is wear hi-vis clothing, have a daytime visible tail light and ride defensively. If you haven't caught the driver's attention with that equipment and he isn't giving you room, be ready to bail.
Old 10-29-11, 08:39 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by daredevil
my 2 cents....

The best you can do is wear hi-vis clothing, have a daytime visible tail light and ride defensively. If you haven't caught the driver's attention with that equipment and he isn't giving you room, be ready to bail.
Agreed. I would have been looking for driveway entrances/sidewalks etc. One thing this story brings out is the need for excellent mirrors so we can monitor drivers coming up behind us - Don't have a mirror? Go get one
Old 10-29-11, 08:42 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
The best you can do is use a mirror and a Dinotte tail light.
It is well worth the $120.

https://store.dinottelighting.com/din...-mount-p5.aspx

Old 10-29-11, 08:43 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Reflective triangle on your bike and a safety vest should help. That's about as visible as it gets, if a driver can't see that then they shouldn't have a drivers licence and be operating a vehicle.
Old 10-29-11, 10:17 AM
John_1961
LOVE TO BIKE

Bikes: GIANT OCR 3 / Jamis Renegade Expert

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If he didn't see you then he wasn't looking far enough ahead I had that same thing happen to me a few times I have also had them cut in front of me just to make a right or left hand turn.
Old 10-29-11, 12:56 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Reflective triangle on your bike and a safety vest should help. That's about as visible as it gets, if a driver can't see that then they shouldn't have a drivers licence and be operating a vehicle.
Agreed, last December as I was riding home I had a gal pull up alongside me in the left turn lane and say to me "You know you're hard to see, right?" The irony is that I was wearing a reflective vest and had two Cateye 3-LED blinkies going.

I'd like to know how I was "hard to see." But as has been noted we could be towing a carbon arc spotlight and motorists would still claim not to see us.
Old 10-29-11, 12:58 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by John_1961
If he didn't see you then he wasn't looking far enough ahead I had that same thing happen to me a few times I have also had them cut in front of me just to make a right or left hand turn.
The move that they make that I don't understand is when they have to swoop around us and "race" us to the stop sign/red light.
Old 10-29-11, 02:59 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
The best you can do is use a mirror and a Dinotte tail light.
It is well worth the $120.
+1. Dinotte tail lights are expensive, but worth it. They are very visible from far away, even in bright sunlight.
Old 10-29-11, 03:03 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe a paintball gun mounted on the rear of the bike, pointing at the offenders.

j/k
Old 10-29-11, 03:33 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Based upon what I see everyday, I think that going through intersections is the most dangerous part of cycling.
I've had too many close calls with red light runners.. and the only reason why I am still alive is because of extreme awerness of what's happening around me. You can have the best most expensive lights in the world, but they won't help you when somebody nails you running a red light. If a driver is not aware of an intersection with a red light,then they won't see you, no matter how much lights and reflective clothing you have.
Old 10-29-11, 03:54 PM
brumskee
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dinotte!!
After riding with a red rear and amber front for the past year I would not even think about riding without. Worth every $
Old 10-29-11, 04:33 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
Agreed, last December as I was riding home I had a gal pull up alongside me in the left turn lane and say to me "You know you're hard to see, right?" The irony is that I was wearing a reflective vest and had two Cateye 3-LED blinkies going.

I'd like to know how I was "hard to see." But as has been noted we could be towing a carbon arc spotlight and motorists would still claim not to see us.
What kind of vest are we talking about here and are these lights daytime visible? The only daytime visible light I'm aware of is the Dinotte. Maybe you aren't as visible as you think.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.