Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

You know who you are- Stop giving cyclists a bad name

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-11, 09:34 PM
matimeo

Bikes: It's the motor, not the bike, right?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

I'm not going to name any names, but you know who you are (Guy on a road bike with red tires, cable lock around your seatpost, wearing a yellow shirt with long black sleeves riding on Greenburg Rd. in Tigard, OR today at 5:01pm). When you passed me while I waited my turn in the left turn lane at Greenburg and Tiedeman/North Dakota, you riding in the lane that was supposed to go straight through the light (you weren't in the bike lane, but plugging up the car lane) and you passed everyone in the left turn lane and then turned left anyway. Pulling this kind of crap is what gives cyclists a bad name. Wait your turn like everybody else. But I guess since you're super slow (I passed you on the trail about a mile later, even though I had to wait two lights and you had a big head start) you have to take every advantage you can get.

Sorry to everyone else who had to listen to me rant. And if Mr. red tires is reading this, you can apologize for screwing it up for the rest of us.
Old 10-31-11, 10:50 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I filter to the front of the LTO lane by using the left side of the straight-only lane, too. Then I park my butt next to the front car in the LTO and get off to the side and out of everyone's way after making my turn when the light goes green.
Old 11-01-11, 04:31 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I hear this kind of crap all the time and really it is mind boggling. Do you know that car that cut me off yesterday, well did he give all cars a bad name? Do you know that the police have all whole traffic sections dedicated to bad car and truck drivers, at least they do in my city. They even have red light cameras and photo radar for vehicles that break the law. But nowhere do I see vehicles getting a bad name because of these infractions. Go to traffic court, you will see thousands of people trying to fight their "mistakes" in court. Somehow vehicles don't have "bad names".

I will admit there are bad cyclists but guess what that number is tenfold when it comes to motorized vehicles on the road. I see bad drivers every few minutes. And I really don't think they are ruining for the rest of them.

And I love these holier than thou cyclists because we all break the law. Some infractions smaller than others but none the less infractions. I have yet to meet a cyclist that follow all the rules of the road. Then again maybe you are one perfect cyclist.

And for the cyclist that will no doubt blow past the stop sign this morning without even looking, someday Darwin's Theory will catch up and we won't even need to have a discussion.
Old 11-01-11, 05:52 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yesterday on my commute I saw a car run a four way, two made red-light rights without stopping, when I rode over the highway I knew everyone was going 10~15mph over the limit. Why don't cagers feel compelled to accept responsibility for every driver's bad behavior as you feel the need to accept responsibility for all bad bike riders?

Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
I filter to the front of the LTO lane by using the left side of the straight-only lane, too....
I don't do this, too dangerous. Instead, I hold the lane and force cars behind me to wait while I clear the intersection. If the speed limt is over 35mph, I abandon the road and use the crosswalk.

Last edited by Mr IGH; 11-01-11 at 05:59 AM.
Old 11-01-11, 05:53 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Does my riding in a black evening gown without shaving give cyclists a bad name too?
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 11-01-11, 06:14 AM
ryanwood

Bikes: surly cross check

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The reason the OP is making a big deal is because people are stupid and they make ridiculous prejudices based on things like running red lights and passing cars who are waiting their turn.

the "holier than thou" OP waits his turn because he is an adult and that's what grown-ups do. If you went to the bank and just cut in front of 20 people in line and claimed that you did it because you can, do you think everyone would just keep their mouth shut? how the hell do you think that makes everyone else in line feel? Cyclists are not better than automobile drivers, so why do they think they can just cut in front of a line of 25 cars and that no one will have their feelings hurt.

My advice for all of those cyclist out there who just breeze across town riding wherever and however they want regardless of the law............GROW UP
Old 11-01-11, 07:42 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
If I didn't ride past cars stopped at lights, I would be in a very small minority, at least in DC. Riding a bike gives you a free pass to the front of the line, including any bikes waiting in line.
Old 11-01-11, 07:55 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
If I didn't ride past cars stopped at lights, I would be in a very small minority, at least in DC. Riding a bike gives you a free pass to the front of the line, including any bikes waiting in line.
My city friends all do this, I try to get them to hold the lane as a group riding double file but city hipsters can't be edjumacated. So many bike rider deaths due to right hooks....
Old 11-01-11, 08:08 AM
idc

Bikes: quite a few

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And the same goes for motorcycles and scooters, it seems, never mind just bikes.
Old 11-01-11, 08:14 AM
jr59

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Does my riding in a black evening gown without shaving give cyclists a bad name too?
No idea!

Why don't you try it and let us know!
BTW; pics are the proof!
Old 11-01-11, 08:38 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jr59
no idea!

Btw; pics are the proof!
+1 :d
Old 11-01-11, 08:49 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jr59
No idea!

BTW; pics are the proof!
remind me to go out to Portland for the Pretty Dress ride next year!

"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 11-01-11, 09:01 AM
CptjohnC
Old, but not really wise

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dew Drop (the daily driver),'07 Specialized Roubaix (the sports car), '99 ish Kona NuNu MTB (the SUV), Schwinn High Plains (circa 1992?) (the beater)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only if you wear white socks, or sparkly open toed shoes after September 21, with said evening gown.
Old 11-01-11, 09:14 AM
CptjohnC
Old, but not really wise

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dew Drop (the daily driver),'07 Specialized Roubaix (the sports car), '99 ish Kona NuNu MTB (the SUV), Schwinn High Plains (circa 1992?) (the beater)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanwood
the "holier than thou" OP waits his turn because he is an adult and that's what grown-ups do. If you went to the bank and just cut in front of 20 people in line and claimed that you did it because you can, do you think everyone would just keep their mouth shut? how the hell do you think that makes everyone else in line feel? Cyclists are not better than automobile drivers, so why do they think they can just cut in front of a line of 25 cars and that no one will have their feelings hurt.
I acknowledge that the situation OP posited was not quite the norm as I experience it, as he seemed to indicate that in this instance the filtering cyclist was, in fact, impeding the car traffic. The far more common situation, in my experience is that cyclists filter in ways that do not impede motorists, or any other road users. I will freely acknowledge that I regularly filter, as do most cyclists, in many situations. Why? Because I can do so ~without~ negatively impacting other road users. When traffic is stopped at a light, and I can safely (in my opinion) move to the front of said traffic, I do so. This does ~not~ impact the car drivers sitting in their cages, as they remain as they were: Stopped. Likewise, when the light turns green, I am not generally slowing them down (in fact, it is rare that I am not the first/quickest vehicle across most urban intersections, despite my horsepower deficit) as I am most often heading for a space that they cannot or will not occupy.

Likewise, I do not demand that cars remain behind me for long stretches on two lane roads. First of all, I try to give cars passing space where it is safe for me to do so. I take the lane only where I deem it absolutely necessary to protect my safety. I get annoyed at those who buzz me, but they are few, and sometimes I know I have invited it by NOT taking the lane. Further, I may grumble about the cars who cross the center line to pass me, but I do not paint all car drivers as being of their stripe. Would I prefer that they did not? sure. Would I prefer that the lanes were wide enough to allow a bicycle to travel without impeding car traffic in any way? Sure.

So yes, in the situation OP posited, I would agree that it ~sounds~ as though our fellow cyclist acted rudely, but I do not agree that all filtering, in all situations, is immature or improper.
Old 11-01-11, 09:22 AM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
I filter to the front of the LTO lane by using the left side of the straight-only lane, too. Then I park my butt next to the front car in the LTO and get off to the side and out of everyone's way after making my turn when the light goes green.
I used to do this, but it was just too dangerous, in my opinion. Cars would do weird things when you're side-by-side with them, none of them safe.

Now I just take the lane whenever I'm turning left. It makes me more visible and my intentions are clear, and cars don't try to jockey around me by doing dangerous crap in the oncoming traffic. My acceleration is finally good enough so that I don't slow down the traffic behind me through the turn, too. I rarely have an issue doing this.
Old 11-01-11, 09:27 AM
Mithrandir

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by blakcloud
I hear this kind of crap all the time and really it is mind boggling. Do you know that car that cut me off yesterday, well did he give all cars a bad name? Do you know that the police have all whole traffic sections dedicated to bad car and truck drivers, at least they do in my city. They even have red light cameras and photo radar for vehicles that break the law. But nowhere do I see vehicles getting a bad name because of these infractions. Go to traffic court, you will see thousands of people trying to fight their "mistakes" in court. Somehow vehicles don't have "bad names".
I agree that it's ridiculous to assume that one cyclist can give all cyclists a bad name. Unfortunately that's reality. When I started bicycle commuting I received a lot of crap from my coworkers who said things like "I can't stand you ******** and how you guys just run reds and weave in traffic". It didn't matter to them that I followed every law. Cyclists are rare enough that one doing things the wrong way is going to stick out in their minds, regardless if they're a rarity or not. If a car does things the wrong way, there's more than enough cars on the road doing things the right way to prevent all car drivers from being painted with that brush. It's just reality, and we have to deal with it.
Old 11-01-11, 09:28 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts

I hate it when I get stuck behind the same turkey until a break in traffic lets me pass him and then he cuts back in front of me two, three, or more traffic lights in a row. It is bad form to put yourself in front of another bicycle who's stopped for a traffic light.
Old 11-01-11, 09:53 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mithrandir
I agree that it's ridiculous to assume that one cyclist can give all cyclists a bad name. Unfortunately that's reality. When I started bicycle commuting I received a lot of crap from my coworkers who said things like "I can't stand you ******** and how you guys just run reds and weave in traffic". It didn't matter to them that I followed every law. Cyclists are rare enough that one doing things the wrong way is going to stick out in their minds, regardless if they're a rarity or not. If a car does things the wrong way, there's more than enough cars on the road doing things the right way to prevent all car drivers from being painted with that brush. It's just reality, and we have to deal with it.
I think your example here may prove the opposite of what you intended....that driver's perceptions are based more on the majority of cyclists they encounter rather than on the exceptions...like you in this case.
Old 11-01-11, 10:12 AM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mithrandir
I agree that it's ridiculous to assume that one cyclist can give all cyclists a bad name. Unfortunately that's reality......
+1

The primary reason obnoxious drivers don't necessarily give all other drivers a bad name is because everybody drives. Few people will vilify a group that they themselves are a part of, and another 3000lb. vehicle is instantly perceived as a potential threat by most other drivers.

Cyclists however, being a significant minority, are prime targets for blanket vilification because we are a minority, because a driver in a 3000lb. car looks at a cyclist on a 25lb. bicycles and their first impression is " no threat there", and because unless we are in a group we will not have witnesses to any aggression against a lone cyclist.

If you don't see the anomosity and apathy displayed by many drivers to all bicycles that they encounter, I would suggest that you don't commute by bicycle or that you mainly ride in groups. Over 40 years of riding on the road has proven to me that how I dress, what I ride, how I ride, and how courteous I am to other road users has a significant effect on how drivers treat me. Every arrogant cyclist that ignores stop signs and red lights, or blocks the driver's right-of-way by riding two abreast on narrow roads, puts all of us at higher risk.
Old 11-01-11, 10:15 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
I hear this kind of crap all the time and really it is mind boggling. Do you know that car that cut me off yesterday, well did he give all cars a bad name?
Stop trying to bring logic into an emotional rant about "other cyclists are ruining cycling."
Old 11-01-11, 10:55 AM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The problem is people. They find a way to screw up everything.
Old 11-01-11, 11:14 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by modernjess
The problem is people. They find a way to screw up everything.
No worries, in December 2012 the Mayan remedies kick in.
Old 11-01-11, 11:17 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
It is bad form to put yourself in front of another bicycle who's stopped for a traffic light.
Agreed, unless the other bike rider is waiting in line behind cars, or the other bike rider looks slower than me (which is usually the case ).
Old 11-01-11, 11:18 AM
Mithrandir

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think your example here may prove the opposite of what you intended....that driver's perceptions are based more on the majority of cyclists they encounter rather than on the exceptions...like you in this case.
Not necessarily. They merely are under the impression that most cyclists break traffic rules. In my experience, most cyclists I've met on the roads seem to be obeying them. Of course, the plural of anecdote is not data, so I can't say with certainty that's the case, but I personally have not witnessed cyclists at large wantonly breaking laws.
Old 11-01-11, 11:38 AM
Kojak

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex - 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 - 2004 Redline Conquest Pro - Specialized S-Works Festina Team Model - 93 Cannondale M 800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good god yes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.