Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

You ever have a rattle you can't find?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-03-19, 09:16 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts

I don't need help. I'm just venting.

You ever have a rattle you can't find? When I ride I hear a rattle. It's clearly metal on metal. It's a very distinctive sound. It sounds like a loose bolt with a washer rattling between the bolt and the frame.

BUT I CAN'T FIND IT!!!!

I can't pinpoint where it's coming from with my ears when riding and I can't recreate it at home on the rack.

I've tightened every both.

I've looked at every place 2 parts meet on the bike. Bolts, fork, wheels, handlebars, you name it.

I've taken the bike apart and put it back together.

And the rattle is still there.

It's not loud. It's not annoying. It's not interfering with the safe operation of the bike.

It's just cheesing me off that I can't figure out what it is!

Thank you for listening. I feel better.
Old 01-03-19, 09:27 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
it wasn't uncommon for one of my wing nuts that held my rear rack to loosen. but when I moved it to another bike I changed the hardware. so when a new rattle became obvious it took a while to find, but I found it. a diff. wing nut on the bottom of the rack was tapping the top of the rear fender. so I glued a small square of foam rubber door sweep/insulation at the contact spot

waiting for the next rattle to appear ...

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-03-19 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-03-19, 09:29 AM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
Brooks seat squeak. Took me forever to figure that out.
Old 01-03-19, 09:34 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,926 Times in 4,667 Posts
I used to ride with a crew, and one of the guys had a press-fit BB that creaked on each pedal stroke. I could barely stand to ride near him. I can't abide a noisy bike.
Old 01-03-19, 09:37 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
I don't need help. I'm just venting.

You ever have a rattle you can't find? When I ride I hear a rattle. It's clearly metal on metal. It's a very distinctive sound. It sounds like a loose bolt with a washer rattling between the bolt and the frame.

BUT I CAN'T FIND IT!!!!

I can't pinpoint where it's coming from with my ears when riding and I can't recreate it at home on the rack.

I've tightened every both.

I've looked at every place 2 parts meet on the bike. Bolts, fork, wheels, handlebars, you name it.

I've taken the bike apart and put it back together.

And the rattle is still there.

It's not loud. It's not annoying. It's not interfering with the safe operation of the bike.

It's just cheesing me off that I can't figure out what it is!

Thank you for listening. I feel better.
I had a bike that I swear had a ball bearing loose in the downtube. Noise disappeared when I sold the bike

(It was a crappy gas pipe SS conversion in the first place and I sold it to a college kid for like $60.)
Old 01-03-19, 11:55 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I used to ride with a crew, and one of the guys had a press-fit BB that creaked on each pedal stroke. I could barely stand to ride near him. I can't abide a noisy bike.
It's funny...

The noise doesn't bather me at all.

The fact that I can't figure out what the noise is bothers the hell out of me!!! hahahaha
Old 01-03-19, 12:48 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
I had a bike that I swear had a ball bearing loose in the downtube. Noise disappeared when I sold the bike.
I actually did this to myself while overhauling a headset, dropped one ball and it went past the upper cup and into the vent hole in the head tube into the top tube. What are the odds? Could not do that again on a bet. Didn't worry about it until the first ride and decided it would drive me crazy so made sure the ball rolled to both ends of the top tube and then pulled the seatpost and dribbled some Elmer's glue into the back of the top tube through the hole in the seat tube, tilted the bike back so the ball rolled into the glue and left it like that overnight to set up. Problem solved.
Old 01-03-19, 01:30 PM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Perhaps there's a bit of weld flux or small debris inside the rim. If you have another bike with the same wheel size, swap them out and see if the noise persists.
Old 01-03-19, 02:45 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 402 Posts
On my Davidson the chain stay internal cable routing tube was loose, only rattled under bumpy conditions. Took forever to find but a shot of foam insulation through the BB has fixed it for the past four years.
Old 01-03-19, 02:47 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by EdwinHeadwind
Perhaps there's a bit of weld flux or small debris inside the rim. If you have another bike with the same wheel size, swap them out and see if the noise persists.
+1 . I had a Mavic rim with a scrap of metal inside, probably a leftover from when the spoke or valve holes were punched. At low speed the rattle was annoying. It was hard to trace since it disappeared at higher speed when the centrifugal force (yes Physic Majors, I know that's not technically the correct concept.) would pin the scrap in place and quiet everything down until I slowed down.
Old 01-03-19, 02:49 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
I had a clicking metallic noise for a few hours on ride before. It did not follow any other typical pattern of any other random noise I had before. Eventually narrowed it down to intermittent only when I sitting, going at slow speed and only when pedaling with decent power on the down stroke of my right leg. Turned out to be the hard plastic aglet from my shorts string hitting my aluminum top tube.

I believe any noise on a bike is a bad noise and for most people myself included, good or bad... it circulates in your mind often with the highest priority and frustration.

Last edited by u235; 01-03-19 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-03-19, 03:06 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I had a clicking noise on each pedal rotation. The shop owner helped me find the source, I had a cracked chain stay.
Old 01-03-19, 03:40 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,899 Times in 2,536 Posts
I rode several years with the head of a nipple rattling inside my rim. I knew what it was, Had I been home when I replaced the nipple, I"d have pulled the tire and fished it out, but I was on an organized ride and wanted to get back to it. The rattle would come and go depending on where the nipple was, how fast I was going and how rough the road.

Ben
Old 01-03-19, 03:52 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
I've had a weird ping noise that correlated roughly with my pedaling cadence. It was hard to pinpoint. It turned out that the waist drawstring on my jacket had a little plastic ball on the end, and it was bouncing on the top tube of the bike.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-03-19, 04:40 PM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
+1 . I had a Mavic rim with a scrap of metal inside, probably a leftover from when the spoke or valve holes were punched. At low speed the rattle was annoying. It was hard to trace since it disappeared at higher speed when the centrifugal force (yes Physic Majors, I know that's not technically the correct concept.) would pin the scrap in place and quiet everything down until I slowed down.
Mavic SUPs and Open 4 CDs were notorious for this -- there was some sort of "tab" inside the rim -- right at the seam -- that would rattle. A local mechanic I knew would use a punch and hammer to dent the spoke channel right above where he knew the tab was, and this pinned it against the inside wall of the rim and silenced it. I had this problem on at least two Mavic rims BITD. Weirdly, lowering the tire pressure could sometimes make it stop.
Old 01-04-19, 05:18 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Oh, yeah.

Seems trickier on my frames with oval tubing. Something about it transmits noises away from the actual source. On my conventional frame Centurion the noises seem readily apparent. But on the Univega with that spiffy Bi-Axial Power Oval frame, the oval top tube is thin, pingy and resonant, almost like a chime. So it's tricky to track down noises -- everything resonates in the top tube.

Recently chased down a squeak that finally motivated me to redo the bottom bracket. Turned out to be a dork disk I'd forgotten to remove when I'd swapped out the 7-speed cassette for 8-speed. The 32T big cog hid the smallish dork disk so I forgot it was there. On the plus side, it did motivate me to redo that BB, so... not completely a bad thing.

Intermittent squeaks that turned out to be my shoes rubbing against the crank arms.

And the thing @noglider mentioned -- clothing or other stuff pinging against the bike.

Shoes catching an overlong bit of cable on the front derailleur, causing it to snap back and ping the frame.

And, once or twice, an actual mechanical issue that needed attention, mostly because I stupidly sold my torque wrench several years ago thinking I'd never need it again and now resort to guesstorquing. Like a slightly loose crank arm on a square taper BB. A retaining ring on a new cassette that needed tightening. Or trying to adequately tighten a chainring bolt without the little nut wrench to keep it from spinning uselessly.
Old 01-08-19, 12:46 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 153 Posts
Step 1: Tighten both of your hubs' quick releases

Step 2: Get a mechanic's stethoscope from an autoparts place for less than $15

I had a creak I could not find. Sounded like the bottom bracket to me:
~I tightened all the chainring mount bolts, still squeaked.
~Removed, cleaned and reinstalled the chainring bolts to the correct torque, using a star pattern. Still squeaked.
~Removed clean chainring bolts, applied some light threadlock on each and torqued them back on in a star pattern. Still squeaked.
~Removed crank mount bolt, reinstalled it and the lockbolts to the correct torque, alternating in stages as recommended by Shimano manual. Still squeaked.
~Removed entire crank, cleaned, regreased and reinstalled using correct torques, and alternating... Still squeaked.
~Removed clean crank, tightened bottom bracket to correct torque. Reinstalled everything... torques and alternating... Still squeaked.
~Removed crank and bottom bracket. Applied teflon tape to bottom bracket threads Reinstalled...torques, alternating... Still squeaked.
~Bought new bottom bracket. Torqued on new BB correctly with teflon tape on threads...torques, alternating... Still squeaked.
~Rode with squeak for several weeks, endured ribbing from friends. Also twisted feverish dreams about mice, about biting pieces of metal off my bike and chewing them slowly as my teeth broke, filling my mouth with a bloody, squeaky mash of broken teeth and aluminum. And still the bike squeaked.
~Remembered that I had a mechanic's stethoscope in my motorcycle tools. Asked my neighbor George to use it at several points on my bicycle while I reproduced the maddening squeak on my rollers. He isolated it to my rear hub. I tightened the quick release and the g0dd@mn bike at last stopped squeaking.

Last edited by calamarichris; 01-08-19 at 12:54 AM.
Old 01-08-19, 09:25 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
Good story, @calamarichris. We should learn from that.

Another hard-to-find creak for me turned out to be a saddle. I dropped plenty of oil where the rails met the plastic shell, but I never got the creak out. My wife happens to like the saddle, and the creak doesn't bother her, so problem solved.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.