Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any way to warm up a bike faster when you bring it inside?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Any way to warm up a bike faster when you bring it inside?

Old 03-16-20, 08:42 PM
ropetwitch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
You can bring it inside your house to warm it up.
Old 04-20-20, 04:49 PM
bikerbobbbb

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, bringing it/keep it inside is probably enough of an answer. It's aluminum. It probably takes less than an hour to warm up enough to room temp. The other other thing I thought of was pointing a space heater at it.

It does make a different. It's a lot easier to ride when the weather warms up. I'm guessing the oil, tires, and everything just work better at warmer temps.
Old 04-20-20, 10:38 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,200 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerbobbbb
Yep, bringing it/keep it inside is probably enough of an answer. It's aluminum. It probably takes less than an hour to warm up enough to room temp. The other other thing I thought of was pointing a space heater at it.

It does make a different. It's a lot easier to ride when the weather warms up. I'm guessing the oil, tires, and everything just work better at warmer temps.
It’s likely your muscles that work better when it is warm. I doubt that the cold has that much of an effect on the bike.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-24-20, 05:06 AM
bikerbobbbb

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's the bike for sure. I'm inside each time. Weather can be the same. If the bike is outside, it's more sluggish. If it's inside, it's normal.

These are about ten minute bike rides, so the bike would be cooling down after it comes out from inside, but it's not matching outside temps in ten minutes.

It also hasn't mattered if I'm fully bundled up. I can be sweating inside too much clothing and this still happens.
Old 05-08-20, 05:06 PM
Billy Bones

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
OK...injured my neck* several years ago 'cause, you know, I do my own stunts on mountain bike, tho' that's never the plan.

Anyway, I use those microwavable 'beanbag' things most mornings to apply heat to the neck. Nuke 'em 3 minutes and they're toasty. Get 'em on Amazon.

Try those things on the saddle and bars.