Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

LeMond Zurich

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

LeMond Zurich

Old 05-20-20, 07:22 PM
Kars 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
LeMond Zurich

I wanted to share my new acquisition. Could not resist and even wearing a covid mask did not keep me away. Probably overpaid but the seller drove quite far to meet me which was probably worth $60 in itself in gas/time. I hope to ride the hell out of it. It is my first Lemond. I would have preferred the model with the triple crank. Does anyone know if the ultegra derailleur will shift a t

riple? Thanks.
Likes For Kars:
Old 05-20-20, 07:32 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Eww. Pooey-stinko. I will gladly take piece of junk that off your hands for $500, but only as a favor.

Seriously though, that's a 10/10 among the Lemonds I have seen for sale over the years. Truly "left nut" territory.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 05-20-20, 07:57 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 241 Posts
I owned one about 5 years ago. Unfortunately it was too small so I passed it on. Mine was in near perfect condition. I definitely underpaid when I bought it. It was a pretty nice bike. You will enjoy it. Just keep a watch on the rims since the spokes tend to crack the rim if tightened too much.

Old 05-20-20, 08:15 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
That looks mint! I have a Lemond Poprad Disc that I bought a few months ago. It's in rough shape, nowhere near the cherry condition of yours, but I am loving it.
Old 05-21-20, 04:01 AM
Kars 

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Eww. Pooey-stinko. I will gladly take piece of junk that off your hands for $500, but only as a favor.

Seriously though, that's a 10/10 among the Lemonds I have seen for sale over the years. Truly "left nut" territory.
thanks, it's in good shape, no dents but has a few chips , and scratches to be expected for its age.
Old 05-21-20, 04:07 AM
Kars 

Originally Posted by rjhammett
I owned one about 5 years ago. Unfortunately it was too small so I passed it on. Mine was in near perfect condition. I definitely underpaid when I bought it. It was a pretty nice bike. You will enjoy it. Just keep a watch on the rims since the spokes tend to crack the rim if tightened too much.

I can see that is in mint condition. Mine is not quite as good as that. No dents but has some annoying staining in the yellow paint and a few chips and scratches. You cannot see it that well from a distance but is ok for me. I stugged a bit to get those pedals off on mine. The threads were bone dry, no grease but finally they came off.
Old 05-21-20, 04:09 AM
Kars 

Originally Posted by tricky
That looks mint! I have a Lemond Poprad Disc that I bought a few months ago. It's in rough shape, nowhere near the cherry condition of yours, but I am loving it.
Eventually I want to get one of those poprads also. I like the versatility of them. They are hard to find. Enjoy it.
Likes For Kars:
Old 05-21-20, 08:10 AM
force10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
I bought the same bike last week. Mine came as a triple with separate front and rear derailleurs, double chainrings and another chain to set up as a double.

I don't know if that means the derailleur you have won't shift a triple but suspect it may.
Old 05-21-20, 11:18 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by Kars
Eventually I want to get one of those poprads also. I like the versatility of them. They are hard to find. Enjoy it.

Yeah, I searched for better part of a year for one in my size. There's a guy here locally that has one he converted to 650b. It looks great.
Old 05-21-20, 03:10 PM
Kars 

Originally Posted by force10
I bought the same bike last week. Mine came as a triple with separate front and rear derailleurs, double chainrings and another chain to set up as a double.

I don't know if that means the derailleur you have won't shift a triple but suspect it may.
Great minds think alike. Your lucky you have the triple. Sounds like you got a good deal. I have issues with the rear shifter on mine I need to fix before I ride it. I will try the flushing it out with wd40 trick. Hopefully that will take care of it. I put newer tires on mine. The ones that came with mine were dry rotted.
Old 05-21-20, 07:54 PM
force10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
What size tires? I need to change the tires and wonder if some 28mm I have will fit.
Old 05-21-20, 09:02 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 319 Posts
I owned one of the early Zurich's ,Red and White. Very good all around bicycle. The Rolf wheels were never an issue and all I ever did was change out the saddle. Great bicycle for riding long distances (over 100 miles) ot taking up the climbs. Its a bike I wish I had back.

You will enjoy it for sure. Go GREG!
Old 05-22-20, 10:12 AM
Kars 

Originally Posted by force10
What size tires? I need to change the tires and wonder if some 28mm I have will fit.
I put 25 mm Schwalbe tires on because I had them on another wheelset I was not using and they have few miles on them. No issues with clearance at all. I think you can go to 28 mm size but not completely sure as I think I read that somewhere on the forum.
Likes For Kars:
Old 05-22-20, 10:14 AM
Kars 

Originally Posted by Manny66
I owned one of the early Zurich's ,Red and White. Very good all around bicycle. The Rolf wheels were never an issue and all I ever did was change out the saddle. Great bicycle for riding long distances (over 100 miles) ot taking up the climbs. Its a bike I wish I had back.

You will enjoy it for sure. Go GREG!
yes, my rolf wheels were spinning nice and true when I got this thing which surprised me. In the past I have always had to true wheels after buying used bikes in the past.
Old 05-22-20, 11:46 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4839 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
Very nice!! My first race bike was a Zurich (blue fade) which I later added Rolf wheels to. I got my first win on that bike, too. I've been on the hunt for a 53cm Zurich to go with my box of 8-speed Ultegra parts.