Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bike lanes and group rides.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Bike lanes and group rides.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-20, 11:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by daoswald
People have well-intentioned suggestions, but often fail to recognize that roads are not simple one-size-fits-all. This is why laws typically say that the cyclist should remain as far to the right as is safe and practical, but that if it is not safe and practical to ride to the right, they can take the lane. If cars cannot pass to the left of a cyclist while maintaining a 3-foot buffer, they're going to need to change lanes. If changing lanes isn't an option, they'll have to wait until the cyclist finds a safe area to move to the right and allow them around.

If a cyclist were seven feet wide instead of 30 inches wide, so for example if we were slow moving vehicles towing a utility trailer, the expectation would be for approaching traffic to slow down, and pass only when it is safe and legal to do so. In this case, cyclists have the same right.

If someone wants to change these laws, start a petition, get the required signatures to get it on the ballot, and let the vote happen. It will not pass. But at least it's pursuing the appropriate avenue rather than just making assertions are contrary to the laws, that cyclists need to get off the roads.

Frankly, I can't tell if you're arguing with or agreeing with me. My point on that particular stretch of road, which looks very similar to many ones I've encountered, is that I would definitely pop into the traffic lane a bit to get around them and then would pop right back out once I got past them. I'm pushing back a bit on the "pick a line and stick with it" stuff I see in A&S, none of which has ever made any sense to me.

I'm in and out of the lanes all the time--I pop into them before I get to a right-turn lane for example. Far from being a "one size fit all" strategy, it's a "I need multiple sizes myself" strategy. It also happens to be consistent with the laws in both states I ride regularly, one of which is a FRAP state (NH), and one is not (MA). In NH, btw, the definition of "a way", the local term for "road", includes the area to the right of the fog line, so in a lot of situations, I'm legally required to stay to the right of the fog line. Suits me fine, because the speed limit on such roads is usually 50 mph +.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-01-20, 07:04 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Frankly, I can't tell if you're arguing with or agreeing with me. My point on that particular stretch of road, which looks very similar to many ones I've encountered, is that I would definitely pop into the traffic lane a bit to get around them and then would pop right back out once I got past them. I'm pushing back a bit on the "pick a line and stick with it" stuff I see in A&S, none of which has ever made any sense to me.

I'm in and out of the lanes all the time--I pop into them before I get to a right-turn lane for example. Far from being a "one size fit all" strategy, it's a "I need multiple sizes myself" strategy. It also happens to be consistent with the laws in both states I ride regularly, one of which is a FRAP state (NH), and one is not (MA). In NH, btw, the definition of "a way", the local term for "road", includes the area to the right of the fog line, so in a lot of situations, I'm legally required to stay to the right of the fog line. Suits me fine, because the speed limit on such roads is usually 50 mph +.

I do a lot of that ducking in and out of parking lanes. It's part of a give and take that can make the road sharing experience better for everyone. I do find frustration when I have to pop out and go around a few parked cars and I get buzzed by a driver who thinks I was being rude or otherwise takes exception to my moving back into the travel lane.
Old 06-01-20, 07:26 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I do a lot of that ducking in and out of parking lanes. It's part of a give and take that can make the road sharing experience better for everyone. I do find frustration when I have to pop out and go around a few parked cars and I get buzzed by a driver who thinks I was being rude or otherwise takes exception to my moving back into the travel lane.
How many motorists pass you, buzzed or otherwise, per week?

-mr. bill
Old 06-01-20, 09:21 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
That ducking in and out can be dangerous if the parked vehicle prevents an overtaking vehicle from seeing you; and you're now out of the line of sight of drivers behind you; and some drivers will think that you're pulling in to stop. They don't expect you to "pop out" again. The busier the street the more dangerous popping in and out can be. YMMV

Cheers
Old 06-02-20, 05:41 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Miele Man
That ducking in and out can be dangerous if the parked vehicle prevents an overtaking vehicle from seeing you; and you're now out of the line of sight of drivers behind you; and some drivers will think that you're pulling in to stop. They don't expect you to "pop out" again. The busier the street the more dangerous popping in and out can be. YMMV

Cheers
No doubt. I NEVER assume anyone will anticipate me popping out, and I won't pop out unless there is significant room between the oncoming vehicle and myself and enough room for them to pass me safely while I maintain beyond door distance from the parked cars. I rarely ride on busy streets. On a busy street I wouldn't make a regular practice of ducking in and out. This is one of the areas and traffic conditions where I duck in and out. The vehicles have a full lane to move over into.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.0073...7i16384!8i8192
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 06-02-20, 06:11 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

No doubt. I NEVER assume anyone will anticipate me popping out, and I won't pop out unless there is significant room between the oncoming vehicle and myself and enough room for them to pass me safely while I maintain beyond door distance from the parked cars. I rarely ride on busy streets. On a busy street I wouldn't make a regular practice of ducking in and out. This is one of the areas and traffic conditions where I duck in and out. The vehicles have a full lane to move over into.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.0073...7i16384!8i8192
Nice road. I don't like ducking in and out but I guess that's just me. As you said, that road has an entire lane the motor vehicles can move into to pass a bicyclist. Therefore I don't see the need to duck in and out.

YMMV

Cheers
Old 06-02-20, 06:21 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Nice road. I don't like ducking in and out but I guess that's just me. As you said, that road has an entire lane the motor vehicles can move into to pass a bicyclist. Therefore I don't see the need to duck in and out.

YMMV

Cheers
Ducking in and out is kinda a pacifier I pop into the mouth of motorists. Like moving from two abreast to single file even when a car will have to enter the oncoming lane to get around anyway. It looks like we are being helpful, when in reality it makes no tangible difference. On this particular road it can serve a nominal good for the motorists at times. When traffic comes, it most often comes in a pulse of 5-6 cars that all left the nearest traffic light at the same time. 2-3 cars in each lane. By ducking in they can go around without changing lanes. I can then reenter the travel lane and not deal with another group of cars for a minute or so. I can do that completely safely and appease the motorists at the same time.

If I do find myself in heavy traffic, I am not at all averse to just pulling over into a parking lane and letting traffic vent if my read on the situation is that it will enhance my safety and/or contribute to the overall good of traffic flow.
Old 06-02-20, 06:27 AM
Miele Man

Ducking in and out is kinda a pacifier I pop into the mouth of motorists. Like moving from two abreast to single file even when a car will have to enter the oncoming lane to get around anyway. It looks like we are being helpful, when in reality it makes no tangible difference. On this particular road it can serve a nominal good for the motorists at times. When traffic comes, it most often comes in a pulse of 5-6 cars that all left the nearest traffic light at the same time. 2-3 cars in each lane. By ducking in they can go around without changing lanes. I can then reenter the travel lane and not deal with another group of cars for a minute or so. I can do that completely safely and appease the motorists at the same time.

If I do find myself in heavy traffic, I am not at all averse to just pulling over into a parking lane and letting traffic vent if my read on the situation is that it will enhance my safety and/or contribute to the overall good of traffic flow.
Lawmakers passing laws forcing bicyclists to ride in single file instead of 2 abreast is something I've never really understood. #1 . It doubles the amount of time it takes a vehicle to pass and 2. vehicles are supposed to move into an adjacent lane to pass a moving vehicle which a bicycle is. Therefore it's actually safer for both the motorist and bicyclists for the bicyclists to ride 2 abreast rather than single file.

Cheers
Old 06-02-20, 07:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

YMMV

Cheers

There appears to be no parked cars in the breakdown lane in sight after the bunch in the picture, so if I'm riding back in the breakdown lane for the next mile or so, I will feel a lot more secure that I'm not going to get hit from behind by some jerk who wants to take exception with my riding in the traffic lane when I have a perfectly good alternative. Also, my interpretation of NH FRAP law is that I'm required to ride in that breakdown lane wherever practicable, but can move out of it when it's either obstructed or there's a right turn lane to the left of it. As I mentioned before, NH has a particularly broad definition of the extent of the roadway, As far as the risk of the parked cars obscuring my "pop" into the traffic lane, that isn't really a risk the way I do it. I would have "popped" into the lane a good distance before getting to those cars, having checked behind me to make sure the lane was clear before doing that. If there had been any car anywhere in sight behind me, I also would have signalled the lane change.

I get that YOU don't see the benefit in it, but maybe you don't live in a jurisdiction where a lot of motorists respond to a bike in the traffic lane by plowing their way into the opposite direction lane without hesitating to see if it's clear. A few of those close calls does not make me feel like I'm any safer there. Figure out where the car that just passed me is going to end up when it gets into an off-center head-on collision with a car in the opposite lane.
Old 06-02-20, 07:43 AM
u235

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Maybe not 12 feet but there are a some maybe 8-10ft in my area. No cars in them ever unless they are broke down. This example is about 5 miles long and on both sides. I've been down this hundreds of times on my bike who knows in my car and I don't recall ever seeing a biker riding on the road portion.
https://goo.gl/maps/p144jsk2L7wsCQUAA.

Last edited by u235; 06-02-20 at 07:50 AM.