Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

New Clyde Ride

Old 06-03-20, 12:02 PM
wooljersey

Bikes: Dean Titanium with S&S couplers, Spcialized Stumpjumper M2, Bridgestone RB-1 with S&S couplers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 5 Posts
New Clyde Ride

Time for a new bike. A few years ago I probably weighed over 400lbs (scale only went to 375). I am still huge but at 280 I feel like a new man

My old red bike is Bridgestone RB-1 with S&S Couplers. It is outfitted with a Dura-Ace groupset 3x7 gearing. Those are Phil Wood 36 hole hubs and Velocity Deep V rims. This has been an awesome bike and it has held up to the load of carrying me all these years.

Now it is time for a new bike. I wanted something lighter. I travel (pre-Covid) at least 100 nights a year so S&S couplers are a must. This bike is an EBay find, a Dean Titanium and I am building it with SRAM AXS Force/Red 1x12. I am also replacing the carbon Alpha Q fork with a custom steel fork so I can put a Tarus low-rider rack on it.

A local shop is building the wheels so I hope to ride be able to ride it this weekend!

My old bike

Why you should never buy a bike at Ikea
Likes For wooljersey:
Old 06-03-20, 12:08 PM
wooljersey

Bikes: Dean Titanium with S&S couplers, Spcialized Stumpjumper M2, Bridgestone RB-1 with S&S couplers

Oops, not sure how to delete the duplicate posts
Old 06-04-20, 06:48 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
nice
Old 06-04-20, 08:26 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
You need to practice packing, if you have to disassemble it as shown in the bottom picture to get it to fit in the case.

I've found I want to have at least one free afternoon -- preferably more -- to make taking the bike worthwhile on a business trip. Otherwise, an hour to unpack and build, and an hour to disassemble and pack -- well, it hardly seems worth the effort to lug the thing around. How do you do it?
Old 06-05-20, 12:56 PM
wooljersey

Originally Posted by pdlamb
You need to practice packing, if you have to disassemble it as shown in the bottom picture to get it to fit in the case.

I've found I want to have at least one free afternoon -- preferably more -- to make taking the bike worthwhile on a business trip. Otherwise, an hour to unpack and build, and an hour to disassemble and pack -- well, it hardly seems worth the effort to lug the thing around. How do you do it?
I agree one free afternoon or evening. Takes me about 45 minutes to pack/unpack. This is my old bike and I pack it slightly differently because I now have a Rinko headset so I can remove the fork without tools.
Old 06-05-20, 01:12 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
Your original bike is very cool! I hope you will be keeping it to go with your new bike maybe re-purposing it a bit?

Way to go with your weight loss BTW! Cycling is so much less of a chore when you have the base miles or are at a spunkier ride weight.

One question about your rim selection: It appears your old bike has Velocity Deep V rims and that you are spec’ing the same Deep V rims for the new build. That’s fine I guess and I’m sure that they are Clyde durable and everything, but since you are trying something different with the ti frame it might be time to expand your options WRT more contemporary, wider, tubeless compatible ones. AFAIK the interior width of the Deep V’s can’t be more than about 15mm. So all the strength is in the tall V extrusion but this is at the expense of speed, weight and cornering. Might I suggest HED Belgium Plus or Velocity (Quill for rim brake/Aileron for disc brake). Either of these choices are going to work better with modern, wider clinchers either tubed or tubeless.

Last edited by masi61; 06-05-20 at 03:07 PM.