Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Unofficial Univega Appreciation Thread!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Unofficial Univega Appreciation Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-19, 05:38 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,586 Times in 1,222 Posts
Friend dropped this off. Switched back from a straight bar setup. Could use new tires and some black hoods.
PE709--

56CM
Old 01-07-20, 11:55 AM
dr1445

Bikes: jamis 2002 komodo, univega aplina uno, miele toscana 300, 1972 puch brigadier, Marin Sausalito

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
alpina uno

the newer style vbrakes do not work on the 1986? alpina uno frame. i swapped the 26 wheels for an old set of 27" street bike wheels and caliper brakes. at 75 i just ride street and this is my winter /bad weather bike.
Likes For dr1445:
Old 01-10-20, 05:13 PM
wmjt0824

Bikes: 81 Univega Viva Sport, 87 Specialized, 98 GT

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks great, nice buy

I picked up a very similar bike near me last summer for $20 but not in nearly as nice shape. Same black and red paint job. Replaced the seat with a Specialized Body Geometry saddle, put on MicroShift brifters to replace the suicide levers (one of which was broken, replaced the stem which was cracked, and the Suntour V rear derailleur with a Shimano Deore. I have to admit this bike really has a nice ride. One notable and weird thing about my Viva Sport is that the decal on the right side has the "sport" upside down. It seems to be that wat from the factory. I'll see if I can post some pictures in the next few days
Old 01-10-20, 06:42 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Originally Posted by wmjt0824
I picked up a very similar bike near me last summer for $20 but not in nearly as nice shape. Same black and red paint job. Replaced the seat with a Specialized Body Geometry saddle, put on MicroShift brifters to replace the suicide levers (one of which was broken, replaced the stem which was cracked, and the Suntour V rear derailleur with a Shimano Deore. I have to admit this bike really has a nice ride. One notable and weird thing about my Viva Sport is that the decal on the right side has the "sport" upside down. It seems to be that wat from the factory. I'll see if I can post some pictures in the next few days
Welcome to the forums. Try hitting Quote for your reply and it will reference who you are talking to.
Old 02-11-20, 11:00 AM
misk8e
misk8e

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Univega Activa Sport

Hi, all. I’m new to forums and am
not a bike aficionado, so please be kind. I recently purchased a Univega Activa Sport without knowing anything about it. The previous owner thought it was relatively new, but I think that may not be the case. Can anyone tell me what years the Activa Sport was manufactured? I’ve searched online, but can’t find an answer. I am an American living in Munich, Germany, and I bought the bike here. The serial number is D51203378. Thanks for any info you can share.
Old 02-11-20, 11:45 AM
rranchhand60
ranchhand60

Bikes: 94 trek 1200and univega grand premio year?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The 80's were the high point for the Super Strada.Some years were Shimano Dura Ace and some were Suntour Superbe Pro.The script on yours I believe makes it a mid 90's after Derby (Raleigh) took them over.Parts Down graded quickly.I have a couple of them. one bare frame and a late model that I built with Superbe pro index.It has Tange Prestige frame tubing.
Old 02-11-20, 12:07 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by misk8e
not a bike aficionado, so please be kind. I recently purchased a Univega Activa Sport without knowing anything about it. The previous owner thought it was relatively new, but I think that may not be the case. Can anyone tell me what years the Activa Sport was manufactured? I’ve searched online, but can’t find an answer. I am an American living in Munich, Germany, and I bought the bike here. The serial number is D51203378. Thanks for any info you can share.
I know Univega remains active in Europe, whereas they stopped selling bikes in the USA about 20(?) years ago. It's possible they kept the Activa Sport name alive longer there than here. For example, they currently sell the Alpina, a model name that has been in use since the early 1980's.

If you post a few more times (minimum ten times) in a few other places on this forum, then you will be able to post pictures, which would be helpful. From the few example photos of Univega Activa models I can find on the web, it looks like it might be a bike from the mid-90's, but again, these are US models, and it might be different in Europe.
Old 02-11-20, 12:59 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by misk8e
The earliest reference I have to an Alpina Sport is the 1987 model year, while the lastest is the 1993 model year. Looking at your serial number, it would appear to be of Taiwanese manufacture, during December of either 1985 or 1995. That would make it a 1986 or 1996 model. For 1994 through 1996, the Alpina series used model numbers. as opposed to names, so I'm leaning towards this being a 1985 model. Pending photos, the brand and modesl of the major components (crankset, brakes, derailleurs) should tell us if this is reasonable.
Old 04-19-20, 07:09 AM
frogy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Market Value help on Arrow Pace please...
Married a wonderful woman in 1986 and on same month bought her a Arrow Pace to ride with me....NOT. Turns out show only rode around Developement and prefered to ride on back of my motorcycles. Forward 34 years and realized its silly to keep this bike after storing it in basements and garages from house to house. I did ride it a few years later (after my knee and back pain eased up) and realized why I bought it for her, the Crank Set uses a unique design called biopace SIS where the crank is elongated like Nautilus equipment and gives you a boost on the power stroke.
I wish I could figure out how to post pics but Im not tech savvy, (unless you want your short-block rebuilt) cause the combo of light green and white really pops on this bike. She is in like-new condition with maybe 20 miles on her- even had original tires on (dryrot of course), and have ordered new gumwalls, tubes, and protector sleeves. Just wondering what I should sell her for, not looking for a lot but do not want to be ripped off either...$400 in 86' was a lot of money for me back then.
Old 04-19-20, 10:03 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by frogy
Market Value help on Arrow Pace please...
Married a wonderful woman in 1986 and on same month bought her a Arrow Pace to ride with me....NOT. Turns out show only rode around Developement and prefered to ride on back of my motorcycles. Forward 34 years and realized its silly to keep this bike after storing it in basements and garages from house to house. I did ride it a few years later (after my knee and back pain eased up) and realized why I bought it for her, the Crank Set uses a unique design called biopace SIS where the crank is elongated like Nautilus equipment and gives you a boost on the power stroke.
I wish I could figure out how to post pics but Im not tech savvy, (unless you want your short-block rebuilt) cause the combo of light green and white really pops on this bike. She is in like-new condition with maybe 20 miles on her- even had original tires on (dryrot of course), and have ordered new gumwalls, tubes, and protector sleeves. Just wondering what I should sell her for, not looking for a lot but do not want to be ripped off either...$400 in 86' was a lot of money for me back then.
Ask that question here
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...th-appraisals/

And post a photo in your album
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/515891/photos
Old 04-22-20, 05:26 AM
frogy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there anyway to move this...two fingered typist here.
Old 04-22-20, 11:52 AM
JoshuaTSR

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Homegrown FS

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dr1445

the newer style vbrakes do not work on the 1986? alpina uno frame. i swapped the 26 wheels for an old set of 27" street bike wheels and caliper brakes. at 75 i just ride street and this is my winter /bad weather bike.
What is your serial number? Mine looks super close to being it's twin frame wise.
Old 04-22-20, 01:52 PM
JoshuaTSR

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Homegrown FS

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

my Univega Alpina Uno.
tires are Kenda Kwest 26x1.95 on Ukai wheels.

Bio pace in all of its glory lol

Last edited by JoshuaTSR; 04-22-20 at 02:09 PM.
Likes For JoshuaTSR:
Old 04-23-20, 07:45 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Black Chrome Univega Bike’s were awesome

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 04-23-20, 10:41 AM
primo123

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Can anoyone tell me the seat post diameter for this frame? Its a range rover
Old 06-05-20, 07:37 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
1978 Gran Turismo

No ridden very much...
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 06-16-20, 08:43 PM
casanewt

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 78 Posts
Landed a 1986 Gran Rally tonight. Nice to have a 'vega back in my garage. It was worth the 2 hour round trip for sure. Almost entirely original except for the seat and the pedals.

Likes For casanewt:
Old 06-17-20, 08:17 AM
casanewt

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Not C&V, but have you folks been following along as Univega USA has been launching? https://www.univega-usa.com/

Forbes article that gives a lot of detail on Kent International's ownership of the BCA factory in South Carolina that now builds the new Univega bikes https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbest.../#67834c4013e8

Who is Univega USA?

It is a fascinating story of two great families with a rich heritage in the bicycle business. The Univega brand was started in 1970 by Ben Lawee, who owned several highly successful bike shops in California. He was dissatisfied with the bikes his suppliers were offering and decided to start designing his own bikes that would meet his high standards. Other bike shops outside of California started buying from him and his business in the USA (and Internationally) grew rapidly thru the 1980’s and 1990’s. Ben retired in 1996 and sold the rights for the brand to a European bicycle company. Fast forward to 2018. The Kamler family, with over 100 years of experience in the bicycle business reached out to one of Ben’s family members and shared their vision for bringing back Univega. The Kamler’s had built a state-of-the-art bicycle factory in South Carolina in 2014 and were ready to produce bikes that would meet Ben Lawee’s standards. Ben’s family saw the plans and were excited to see the legacy of Univega would be in good hands. They felt Ben would be proud the brand will live on with bicycles that are Assembled in the USA and once again become a leader in high quality bicycles at affordable prices. Univega USA was born.

Last edited by casanewt; 06-17-20 at 08:37 AM.
Likes For casanewt:
Old 06-17-20, 10:39 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by casanewt
Not C&V, but have you folks been following along as Univega USA has been launching? https://www.univega-usa.com/

Forbes article that gives a lot of detail on Kent International's ownership of the BCA factory in South Carolina that now builds the new Univega bikes https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbest.../#67834c4013e8

Who is Univega USA?

It is a fascinating story of two great families with a rich heritage in the bicycle business. The Univega brand was started in 1970 by Ben Lawee, who owned several highly successful bike shops in California. He was dissatisfied with the bikes his suppliers were offering and decided to start designing his own bikes that would meet his high standards. Other bike shops outside of California started buying from him and his business in the USA (and Internationally) grew rapidly thru the 1980’s and 1990’s. Ben retired in 1996 and sold the rights for the brand to a European bicycle company. Fast forward to 2018. The Kamler family, with over 100 years of experience in the bicycle business reached out to one of Ben’s family members and shared their vision for bringing back Univega. The Kamler’s had built a state-of-the-art bicycle factory in South Carolina in 2014 and were ready to produce bikes that would meet Ben Lawee’s standards. Ben’s family saw the plans and were excited to see the legacy of Univega would be in good hands. They felt Ben would be proud the brand will live on with bicycles that are Assembled in the USA and once again become a leader in high quality bicycles at affordable prices. Univega USA was born.
Pretty neat, and the new Gran Premio is Reynolds 520 steel. I'll be watching to see how they get reviewed. I do love Univegas.
Old 06-17-20, 12:29 PM
curbtender

Having been part of a corporate takeover, it probably will slide the quality towards Kent's offerings more than improve on what Univega had. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Old 06-17-20, 01:13 PM
casanewt

Originally Posted by curbtender
Having been part of a corporate takeover, it probably will slide the quality towards Kent's offerings more than improve on what Univega had. Hopefully I'm wrong.
It's definitely more of a marketing scheme. Buy a defunct brand name and use it to enter a different market space than your bread and butter department store offerings. Good thing is that they are at least trying to bring some of the work back to the US. We will see how it pans out especially now that they are 49% Chinese owned according the Forbes interview.
Old 06-17-20, 05:40 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
A relaunched Univega could succeed if they cater to the retro nostalgia market rather than trying to compete with state of the art makers.

In particular it could be fun to see a reintroduced chromoly steel Bi-axial Power Oval frame again. Not sure about the spatter paint, that's not really my favorite Univega thing.
Old 07-06-20, 10:01 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Bumping this, because I'm thinking of doing a N-1/N+1, dropping the Paramount PDG 90 for this Competizione because I've always lusted after this generation of Superbe Pro.

What would a fair price for this be? Seller is asking $375 which seems reasonable, if not a screaming bargain.
Old 07-06-20, 01:52 PM
trailmix

Bikes: 50+/-

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by casanewt
Landed a 1986 Gran Rally tonight. Nice to have a 'vega back in my garage. It was worth the 2 hour round trip for sure. Almost entirely original except for the seat and the pedals.

I remember seeing that one on the Cincy Craigslist, pretty good deal IMO. What size is the frame?
Old 07-06-20, 03:17 PM
casanewt

Originally Posted by trailmix
I remember seeing that one on the Cincy Craigslist, pretty good deal IMO. What size is the frame?
It is 62cm/24in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.