Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Helmet Thread 2

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: What Are Your Helmet Wearing Habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
10.40%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
4.80%
I've always worn a helmet
41.60%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
25.20%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
18.00%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

The Helmet Thread 2

Old 06-30-20, 09:23 PM
dkatz1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
the dangling helmet

I always wear a helmet. If people don't want to, that, I suppose, is their business. There are many accidents possible that a helmet would not help with, it's true, but I'm quite convinced that there are injuries they can and do protect you from.
But what baffles me are these people I see from time to time, who have a helmet. Dangling from their handlebars.
I always want to stop them and ask them why, but I never do, so I'm asking here instead.
Old 06-30-20, 09:58 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,493 Times in 1,190 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
I always wear a helmet. If people don't want to, that, I suppose, is their business. There are many accidents possible that a helmet would not help with, it's true, but I'm quite convinced that there are injuries they can and do protect you from.
But what baffles me are these people I see from time to time, who have a helmet. Dangling from their handlebars.
I always want to stop them and ask them why, but I never do, so I'm asking here instead.
Some people use helmets to strap their bikes to railings when they stop for coffee. I'm guessing it avoids the dreaded frame crush of a kickstand...
Likes For curbtender:
Old 06-30-20, 10:08 PM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Hi dkatz,
I always wear one also, especially with the road bike, as it is capable of high speed. I always wear gloves and goggles. I always wore a full coverage helmet on my motorbike. I see pretty young ladies and guys riding a motorbike with little shorts and a teeshirt and helmet and I can't help but wonder what she/he would look like if the bike got dumped....

However, a few times I have left the house got my helmet ready then got distracted by a low tire, pumped it up and then drove off. I get a block or two away and cannot understand why the wind is so strong in my hair....
Old 06-30-20, 10:20 PM
alanf

Originally Posted by curbtender
Some people use helmets to strap their bikes to railings when they stop for coffee. I'm guessing it avoids the dreaded frame crush of a kickstand...
Hi curbtender,
I learned long ago from a bike mechanic that you wrap an elastic band around the handlebar and brake lever and the bike will stay put leaned up against anything. It's amazing.

Likes For alanf:
Old 07-01-20, 08:41 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,493 Times in 1,190 Posts
Originally Posted by alanf
Hi curbtender,
I learned long ago from a bike mechanic that you wrap an elastic band around the handlebar and brake lever and the bike will stay put leaned up against anything. It's amazing.

So you are saying they could just use a rubber band instead of carrying around a helmet?
Likes For curbtender:
Old 07-01-20, 10:02 AM
alanf

So you are saying they could just use a rubber band instead of carrying around a helmet?
It weighs less....
Old 07-01-20, 10:58 AM
dkatz1

Hi dkatz,
I always wear one also, especially with the road bike, as it is capable of high speed. I always wear gloves and goggles. I always wore a full coverage helmet on my motorbike. I see pretty young ladies and guys riding a motorbike with little shorts and a teeshirt and helmet and I can't help but wonder what she/he would look like if the bike got dumped....

However, a few times I have left the house got my helmet ready then got distracted by a low tire, pumped it up and then drove off. I get a block or two away and cannot understand why the wind is so strong in my hair....
The way I see it, one could bang their head on a sidewalk from accidents at slow speeds....I ride, seomtimes, on MUPs, but avoid them when they're crowded. A cyclist can get knocked over by a jogger, a baby carriage jogger, a skate board, etc....Not like getting hit by a semi, but still: a small deal could cause your head to get bashed, and then: the helmet could really help (I say this, as some cyclists have said things like, "if I get run over, I'm dead anyway").
Old 07-01-20, 11:03 AM
alanf

hi dkatz1,
What is an MUP?
Old 07-01-20, 11:40 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
The way I see it, one could bang their head on a sidewalk from accidents at slow speeds....I ride, seomtimes, on MUPs, but avoid them when they're crowded. A cyclist can get knocked over by a jogger, a baby carriage jogger, a skate board, etc....Not like getting hit by a semi, but still: a small deal could cause your head to get bashed, and then: the helmet could really help (I say this, as some cyclists have said things like, "if I get run over, I'm dead anyway").
And that's about what most bicycle helmets are designed for. Standards for bicycle helmets and what they are designed for are far lower than most bicyclists think.

I figure that a helmet even with low protection is better than with no protection.

Cheers
Old 07-01-20, 11:40 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

hi dkatz1,
What is an MUP?
MUP = Multi Use Path.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 07-01-20, 11:41 AM
Miele Man

Or use a velcro strap from a mini-pump mount, or a cut-down toe-strap.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 08-02-20, 09:51 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I'll do that in three situations, maybe more that have slipped my mind.

1. I'm near the end of a commute, stopped at a light in the Summer morning sunshine, and don't want to walk in with a sweaty head.

2. I decided during a ride against the hard training I had planned, and don't need the helmet at the relaxed pace and deserted streets.

3. I went to a group or event which requires a helmet but I wanted a faster or longer ride afterwards and don't really need it.
Old 08-02-20, 02:14 PM
dkatz1

Originally Posted by wphamilton
I'll do that in three situations, maybe more that have slipped my mind.

1. I'm near the end of a commute, stopped at a light in the Summer morning sunshine, and don't want to walk in with a sweaty head.

2. I decided during a ride against the hard training I had planned, and don't need the helmet at the relaxed pace and deserted streets.

3. I went to a group or event which requires a helmet but I wanted a faster or longer ride afterwards and don't really need it.
None of those seem like very good reasons to me.
1. I of course don't know, but many of the people I see aren't anywhere near someplace they're likely to be going to work. And if you've been sweating, you're going to be sweaty. A few minutes without a helmet aren't going to change it. Good grief! A SWEATY HEAD!
2. You're just as likely to bash your head when NOT doing "hard training". It's never going to happen when you expect it. On the MUP I sometimes go on (I totally stay away from those places during the pandemic) a real danger is being caused problems by the various idiots you may come across: walking, running, running with a baby carriage, roller blades, skate boards and of course, other cyclists. And it doesn't take that much to wind up hitting your head on the pavement.
3. I didn't know that riding a helmet makes you slower, but I would suspect that if it does, it's not very much. I've been riding for 21 years, and I always wear a helmet. I have NEVER ONCE hit my head, but I know that I'm safer with a helmet, t even though there are things that a helmet can't protect me from. God, I hate to think of all the precious seconds of speed I've lost over 21 years of helmet wearing, and all of the humiliation I've been dealt by having a "sweaty head". My approach to the sweaty head for when I commute is the towel in my office that I wipe my head off with.
Likes For dkatz1:
Old 08-02-20, 05:08 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,889 Times in 1,646 Posts
Story told to me 30 years ago: my friend Keith was at a bike race, watching the category 1 and 2 guys starting to line up for their event, when a cat 1 guy he knew came up to him.

Cat 1 guy: Keith, lend me your helmet.

Keith: where's yours?

Cat 1 guy: I rode 30 miles from home to here. Where was I supposed to put it?
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 08-04-20, 08:14 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
None of those seem like very good reasons to me.
OK. They're excellent reasons for other cyclists.

1. I of course don't know, but many of the people I see aren't anywhere near someplace they're likely to be going to work. And if you've been sweating, you're going to be sweaty. A few minutes without a helmet aren't going to change it. Good grief! A SWEATY HEAD!
Do you commute in 90° with 80% humidity in the morning? Yes, as soon as you stop, you'll start to sweat and likely profusely. While you're moving, the breeze keeps it at bay.

2. You're just as likely to bash your head when NOT doing "hard training".
Do you do any hard training? HIIT? Sounds like not ... you are far more likely to have an accident when you're pushing limits.

Even in Europe where hardly anyone wears a helmet, roadies while training typically do.

3. I didn't know that riding a helmet makes you slower, but I would suspect that if it does, it's not very much. .
You misunderstood. You have to bring the helmet for the group ride, because they won't let you ride without it. It's the only reason you brought the helmet. But you want to ride more for various reasons, and your judgement is that it's unnecessary for the ride. ("you" as in the person carrying his helmet on the handlebars. I doubt that this applies to you personally)

Last edited by wphamilton; 08-04-20 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-21-20, 10:53 AM
oleg232000

Bikes: Litepseed Catalyst Neutral Support Bike, La Pierre Spicy Team, Mercier Kilo TT, Cannondale Multisport2000, Goffa BMX, Haro Dave Mirra Freestyle

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Whos wearing Helmets anyway?

Ok joking, but the question is, how often do you wear a helmet? So going from I wear one literally every time I ever put feet on a pedal, to I dont even know what a helmet is and I never owned one, to somewhere in between. And before this becomes a crucifixion, of course I know and agree that helmets are super important and safety should be the first concern for all riders.

And lastly, what is the current helmet you ride with on your road bike? Or the best helmet you ever had if you currently dont use it?
Old 09-21-20, 11:06 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
I wear a helmet on every ride that is beyond a quick "test on my street after making adjustments" .

POC Ventral Air SPIN
Likes For WorldIRC:
Old 09-21-20, 11:11 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Sometimes I don't wear one on gravel, but that makes me a bad person and you don't want to follow in my clown shoes.
Old 09-21-20, 11:11 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Oh boy.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 09-21-20, 11:14 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Always, even on test rides. (Test rides are often for checking proper shifting, Chain jam a real possibility.)

POS Trabec. A year too old but POS dropped MIPS and will resume next year. Very, very comfortable and well made helmet,
Old 09-21-20, 11:24 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Always, even on test rides. (Test rides are often for checking proper shifting, Chain jam a real possibility.)
Same here.

Giro Ionos for road

Fox Speedframe Pro for mountain biking. This is the best ventilated helmet I've ever tried, but there's no vents that hold sunglasses securely

Likes For noodle soup:
Old 09-21-20, 11:30 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I don't wear one on test rides at the shop. I should. I don't.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 09-21-20, 11:33 AM
oleg232000

Bikes: Litepseed Catalyst Neutral Support Bike, La Pierre Spicy Team, Mercier Kilo TT, Cannondale Multisport2000, Goffa BMX, Haro Dave Mirra Freestyle

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Same here.

Giro Ionos for road

Fox Speedframe Pro for mountain biking. This is the best ventilated helmet I've ever tried, but there's no vents that hold sunglasses securely

Im actually looking at that Fox for my MTB. Hows the sizing?
Old 09-21-20, 11:38 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by oleg232000
Im actually looking at that Fox for my MTB. Hows the sizing?
fits true to size.I'm a medium for both

It's a great helmet, and actually cooler than the Giro. The front vent works great when moving. Good Luck finding one in stock.
Old 09-21-20, 11:40 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I don't straddle a bike without a helmet on.

I've seen more people fall getting on and off than when riding.
Likes For GlennR:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.