Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Benotto Sanremo?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Benotto Sanremo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-20, 02:20 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Benotto Sanremo?

Not mine - being sold on the FB Marketplace internationally. Just looking to acquire some more information for personal use, but I can only find so little. I'd assume it's a model to commemorate DeVlaeminck's 1978 Milan San Remo win. However, does anyone know what year this model may be, and whom might of built it? I almost immediately notice the Columbus frame, but Oria fork. Mismatch?

Some Photos from the seller:

Old 07-08-20, 05:49 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 784 Posts
The fork MIGHT be a mis-match, other than being different blades to the main frame If all decals are truth-y, I cannot see how the panto on the crown forms the name "Benotto" maybe somebody else can read it as such. AND the other panto on the brake bridge is a very clear capital "B", nothing at all like the fork's "cursive" style. Looks real nice, tho! Are all the tubes standard diameter or are any oversize diameter (hard to read ODs in those pix)
Old 07-08-20, 08:16 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
That's a legitimate Benotto fork with the G. Benotto signature. I've seen this same crown on forks with Benotto branded dropouts. The Columbus decal is pre-1988 while the frame graphics don't match other Benotto of the period. The components are early 1990s and I'm wondering if the Columbus decal is the red herring. I haven't seen any Benotto like this but it resembles the Mondrian inspired liveries used by Rossin and some others.
Old 07-08-20, 11:44 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Thanks for the bits of info guys.

unworthy1 I do not know the tubing diameter, I contacted the seller but have yet to receive a response. The pictures make it seem like oversized tubing was used.

T-Mar I assume you are correct about the Columbus red herring. I would also assume that most all the parts on the bike are the sellers choice. I really admire the Mondrian theme it was what immediately caught my eye. Do you know when Rossin and other brands used the Mondrian style?

This Benotto leaves lots of unanswered questions. I will have to pass on haggling with the seller. Without its history, I'd hate to undervalue or overpay.
Old 07-09-20, 06:58 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Though it is vkool
Old 07-09-20, 11:27 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
Though it is vkool
Agreed
Old 07-09-20, 11:31 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by SoccerBallXan
.. I really admire the Mondrian theme it was what immediately caught my eye. Do you know when Rossin and other brands used the Mondrian style?...

The Mondrain influence in the bicycle industry started with the 1984 La Vie Claire team jerseys. Nishiki had a Mondrian inspired Altron 7000 in 1987, though the effect was limited to the top tube. I associate Rossin's interpretation primarily with the Ghibli model, circa 1988, though I have seen one adopted to the Shimano tri-colour scheme that was reportedly early 1990s.