Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Loving my new Trek 8.3 DS.. New Tires????

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-15, 02:14 PM
Jordan0489

Bikes: Trek 8.3 DS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just recently got a new Trek 8.3 DS and I love it. I took it on some trails and had a blast. I wouldn't mind getting some new tires with a little more meat on them. I went to the bike shop where I bought it from and was informed that the max size tire I can fit is a 29"X2.0" so I am limited as to what I can get. Does any one have any suggestions for a good all terrain tire, road/dirt?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Trek 8.3 DS.jpg (71.9 KB, 26 views)
Old 01-16-16, 11:40 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
According to Trek, The DS 8.3 only accommodates 29 x 1.8" tires (which is still pretty wide). What is it you don't like about the stock tires? On paper, they look like a decent compromise between road and trail. If you go with a full knobby 1.8" tire, you might get better performance on dirt, but worse performance on pavement.

Last edited by MRT2; 01-16-16 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-16-16, 11:57 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Jordan0489
Does any one have any suggestions for a good all terrain tire, road/dirt?
There is no good all terrain tire. Finding the right road/off-road balance in a tire is a never ending journey. On a long road ride you wish you had more road oriented tires and on a rough trail you yearn for more dirt oriented tires. You're never satisfied.

You can have 2 or 3 sets of tires and change them to suit conditions, the problem with this is when you have a mix of road and dirt on the same ride. I had Schwalbe Smart Sams and they were an OK compromise, but after awhile I found they were more dirt oriented than I preferred, so I now use mainly Schwalbe Mondials which are better on the road but poorer on dirt.

You have to kind of feel your way out towards the compromise that works best for you and your rides. If you can try other kinds of tires, borrow friends bikes, or tryout/rent bike shop bikes to get a feel for various tires...

Understand it's always going to be a compromise, you just want to find the best compromise for you.