Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-18, 06:29 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Hello All,

I was involved in a minor car accident last night, took an unprotected left in front of a car moving straight in the opposite direction, my fault. Was looking at my new Garmin and not paying attention, totally stupid. No broken bones or or concussion so I'm totally lucky, just a bruised body and ego. It was right in front of a cop, and he chose not to add insult to injury and didn't write me a citation.

My question is regarding insurance - is the damage to his car something that will be covered by my auto insurance? They took down my State Farm policy number and contact info, but I was on a bike, not in a car. I def. ruined the windshield of his Tesla and did some body damage to the hood and bumper, so I'm kinda freaked out as to what he might do if my insurance doesn't cover it.

Thanks,
Tmonk
I got hit by a car (not my fault FYI) last April. I have a pretty good relationship with my auto insurance agent. He was able to help me through the process and at least give me a heads up with what i should be expecting to see. If you have something similar, maybe give them a call.
Old 01-19-18, 06:45 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I don't know about insurance. But I'm glad you're okay. I have zoned out myself and can totally see that happening.
Old 01-19-18, 06:53 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Waiting to see if I get to go to work Monday or if I get a vacation (current events), I had one of those back in 2013, was when I first got my hybrid so I got a lot of time to ride lol
Old 01-19-18, 06:55 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Glad you're ok tmonk!

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
I got hit by a car (not my fault FYI) last April. I have a pretty good relationship with my auto insurance agent. He was able to help me through the process and at least give me a heads up with what i should be expecting to see. If you have something similar, maybe give them a call.
serious and naive question - if you're on a bike and get hit by a car why would your auto insurance have anything to do with it?
Old 01-19-18, 07:08 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Ideally his insurance will just cover it like vandalism or rock damage.
Old 01-19-18, 07:10 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by mike868y
Glad you're ok tmonk!

serious and naive question - if you're on a bike and get hit by a car why would your auto insurance have anything to do with it?
Not 100% sure. Just my experience. I used my auto agent as a resource to bounce questions off of to make sure i understood the process.
Old 01-20-18, 09:41 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,131 Times in 1,646 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys. For the record, I also had an incident with a car a couple years ago that was totally the drivers fault (got doored), broke my finger and did a number on my bike. His insurance took care of me.
Old 01-21-18, 10:57 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your wreck. I don't know for certain about the auto insurance policy, but I think it would be covered since part of that policy is liability insurance for when you're in an accident and you're at fault. I don't think that part of the policy is specifically tied to your car. I know you would be covered in a rental car, so I don't see why you wouldn't be on a bike.

If not, most homeowner's policies have personal liability coverage (not sure about renter's insurance but would expect so).
Old 01-23-18, 01:42 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Our new dog shivers when its under 65, so at night I have to tuck her into a blanket, and every time I get up to use the bathroom I check on her to see if the blankets need readjusting. She also sits on my lap when I work, which isn't easy considering she's 40 lbs.

I'm pretty sure she ran away from somewhere up North, and finally stopped when it was over 100 degrees.
Old 01-23-18, 03:07 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8265 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
I skipped the club ride Saturday and went mountain biking instead in an area with lots of riders. I rode up behind a group and one guy turned around and said he thought (for a second) that I was Tom Ritchey. I found this amusing.
Old 01-23-18, 05:16 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I flew to Pittsburgh last night for a job interview today. I'm in Houston airport now between flights on the way home. I really don't know if I'm ready to start working full time again.
Old 01-23-18, 05:30 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
I flew to Pittsburgh last night for a job interview today. I'm in Houston airport now between flights on the way home. I really don't know if I'm ready to start working full time again.
Would you have to move to Pittsburgh or is that just the headquarters and interview location?

What do you do?
Old 01-23-18, 05:46 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Our new dog shivers when its under 65, so at night I have to tuck her into a blanket, and every time I get up to use the bathroom I check on her to see if the blankets need readjusting. She also sits on my lap when I work, which isn't easy considering she's 40 lbs.

I'm pretty sure she ran away from somewhere up North, and finally stopped when it was over 100 degrees.
what a *****
Old 01-24-18, 08:32 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by Flatballer
Would you have to move to Pittsburgh or is that just the headquarters and interview location?

What do you do?
This is home office, same place (last 30 years) and travel.
I do manufacturing software consulting, automation. This is a product marketing position.
Old 01-24-18, 01:52 PM
Flatballer
No matches

This is home office, same place (last 30 years) and travel.
I do manufacturing software consulting, automation. This is a product marketing position.
PLC and Modbus and stuff like that? Or higher level stuff?

I do automation and scada but for electric utility stuff and large commercial and industrial.
Old 01-24-18, 01:59 PM
Doge

PLC and Modbus and stuff like that? Or higher level stuff?

I do automation and scada but for electric utility stuff and large commercial and industrial.
Higher level. Application based. ERP space. 60% of this is industry knowledge and communication, 40% is technology. The technology is mostly .NET via web APIs.

Currently I do a lot of EDI hooking up Amazon, Walmart, Walgreens, Bed Bath Beyond, Grainger, John Deere etc. to manufactures/suppliers and dealing with truck routing, shipping etc. That would be one product group. I'd also have products to optimize inventory, trade data.
Old 01-24-18, 06:55 PM
Doge

.... scada but for electric utility stuff and large commercial and industrial.
This is up and coming. Primarily finding ways for machines to generate re-order points and get "feed" without needing people involved. Still, pretty far behind what I would expect a utility company to do.

Last edited by Doge; 01-27-18 at 05:48 AM.
Old 01-24-18, 08:11 PM
Flatballer
No matches

This is up an coming. Primarily finding ways for machines to generate re-order points and get "feed" without needing people involved. Still, pretty far behind what I would expect a utility company to do.
Utilities are very slow to adapt to new technologies and techniques in general. Nature of their business. Mistakes get people killed and destroy millions of dollars of equipment.
Old 01-25-18, 02:16 PM
GGDaddy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Newbie question. I'm prepared for silly answers and to be generally mocked.

Could somebody please explain why the Road Bike Racing forum is titled "The 33?"

Much obliged if anyone is willing to answer...
Old 01-25-18, 03:04 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Years ago bikeforums didn't have the names of the subforums in their URLs, they had numbers. We kept the 33 because we're cool af. "The 41 refugee thread" refers to the road cycling forum, which this racing forum used to live under. There was a lot more interaction between the 41 and the 33 back then...

Last edited by TheKillerPenguin; 01-25-18 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-25-18, 03:25 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I always thought of the 41 Refugee thread as a place to ask generic cycling questions, not really related to racing, that you would normally post in the 41 except you wanted to avoid all the rando BS that those threads typically devolve into.
Old 01-25-18, 03:47 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Exactly, so we did not have to rub shoulders with the rabble.
Old 01-25-18, 05:12 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Exactly, so we did not have to rub shoulders with the rabble.
Now we have doge tho. And we did have that rando guy, but he's been absent for a while.
Old 01-25-18, 08:24 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Off the current topics...

So I was telling someone at work about this person that was parallel superior to me. Ran the IT education school; I worked in the IT support services part. Smaller company, maybe 50 or 60 people? So we all ran into each other all the time. I really didn't like her at all, she was unpleasant to me, but I figured it was just me.

Anyway the person made a lot of money, being the head of the education arm, and I figured she was super successful, and that's why she never said anything good to me.

Then, after some .com acquisitions/etc, the person bought the education school with one or two other people. I resigned for greener pastures. But the crew kept in touch via a mailing list.

One year, maybe 2-3 years after we all left the company, someone posted that this woman lost her husband and that it was really awkward. Ends up that on his daughter's birthday he went out to "get another present", went to a nearby bank, robbed it (put the cash in a birthday bag?), got pursued, and drove off a dock and drowned (the New York Post headline says "Sank Robber" instead of "Bank Robber"). As the articles say, after the whole chase thing they went to his residence. There was a woman on the porch of the house where he lived, crying, and she declined comment.

So, yeah, awkward. I figured he was just trying to hold up a facade of successful upper middle class life or something, but maybe she was an innocent in the picture.

I Googled her name to try and figure out his name so I could find the bank robbery details (different last names, she got married while I worked at the company, I only remembered her maiden name).

To my surprise all the Google hits were about when she got arrested for stealing money from the PTA about 6 years after the bank robbery. Apparently she was in charge of some of the finances and money disappeared for a while. She used part of the money to pay for her daughter's American Girl birthday party. She was found guilty about a year later.

So... yeah. I can't imagine living like that. Thinking the facade is so important.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 01-25-18, 10:01 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Just finding out there was a decent sized (inbounds) avalanche where I ski last weekend. This must have happened about 30 minutes or so before I got there. This particular run was "closed" but if you hiked up to it, it should be all free. Loose snow over hard pack (and ice) from the whole ****ty season is no big surprise, but still.We take for granted that inbounds is "safe."

I should buy an avy beacon.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46242583&ni...wn-to-hospital

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.