Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Federal Panel Seeks Mandatory Helmet Laws

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Federal Panel Seeks Mandatory Helmet Laws

Old 05-01-20, 09:18 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
I wore one for years. Don't need no damn google. They did not have a lexan shell.

I don't get the fetish for really bad helmets. I really don't.

-mr. bill
The Tourlite I had was different than the one in this ad.
Old 05-01-20, 09:21 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Or one can look at the wear or not wear a bike helmet this way. Those that dont wear a helmet end up improving the gene pool, and usually make good organ donors.
Old 05-01-20, 10:24 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
The Tourlite I had was different than the one in this ad.
That's *NOT* an ad. That's the OWNER'S MANUAL!

No idea WHAT helmet you think you owned, but if it didn't look like that, it simply wasn't a Bell Tourlite bicycle helmet.

-mr. bill
Old 05-01-20, 10:52 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
That's *NOT* an ad. That's the OWNER'S MANUAL!

No idea WHAT helmet you think you owned, but if it didn't look like that, it simply wasn't a Bell Tourlite bicycle helmet.

-mr. bill

I never owned a Tourlite. I found it was more comfortable to saw a water heater in half and wear the bottom half on my head.
Old 05-03-20, 02:00 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Helmets suck, and they don't do anything. If a car hits you going fast you are toast. Anything less than that and they are not needed. I have wanted to get a full coverage helmet with face mask for when it's cold and windy but they don't make them big enough for my head at least not at any shop I can go into and I would never try to get something like that online. Wouldn't be surprised if this is more an anti-cycling attack than anything else, people will definitely ride much less often if something like this goes through like it has in australia and way too much of the world already.
Old 05-03-20, 02:01 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Originally Posted by rydabent
Or one can look at the wear or not wear a bike helmet this way. Those that dont wear a helmet end up improving the gene pool, and usually make good organ donors.
That's why I'm not a donor. I would hate for my organs to go to a moron.
Old 05-03-20, 02:06 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Originally Posted by rokky
Drivers today are exceeding the speed limits and displaying unsafe acts that is a threat to bikers.
I stopped riding my bike several years ago because of careless drivers.
Some drivers so close to you that their side mirrors brushed your shoulder, cutting in front of you and blowing their horns when they are next to you.
Then there are the hit and run drivers so what good is a helmet if your rear ended at 70 miles an hour?
Exactly this. If you are going 10 mph and fall over the helmet will do nothing. If you hit your face or forehead (most likely outcome) it will do nothing. If you get hit full on by a car at 30+ miles an hour you are either dead or better off dead. And regardless, what good does a helmet ON TOP OF YOUR HEAD ONLY do on that circumstance? It's just ridiculous, they are absolutely worthless. In fact they can sometimes cause injuries and brain swelling you otherwise would not have gotten.
Old 05-06-20, 08:54 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
Exactly this. If you are going 10 mph and fall over the helmet will do nothing.
This is wildly incorrect.
If you hit your face or forehead (most likely outcome) it will do nothing.
Again, stated with such certainty makes me worry about your relationship with reality.
If you get hit full on by a car at 30+ miles an hour you are either dead or better off dead. And regardless, what good does a helmet ON TOP OF YOUR HEAD ONLY do on that circumstance? It's just ridiculous, they are absolutely worthless. In fact they can sometimes cause injuries and brain swelling you otherwise would not have gotten.
Statistically, even in a severe accident, the helmet will improve your odds of living.

There hasn't been a single documented case that I've seen of a helmet making an injury worse, or causing an injury that might not have otherwise happened. Show me some data.

Really, that's just idiocy. If you don't want to wear a helmet, fine. Don't. But don't spread misinformation like that. It's like people who don't want to wear seatbelts because there's a one in a million chance that the seatbelt might somehow keep them from escaping a burning car (or whatever idiotic scenario you can come up with). Just own your 'independence'. Honestly, we're ok with it if you don't want to wear a helmet. Really. Might be better for all of us in the long run.

The odds are that these safety measures help. That's science and statistics. Period.
Old 05-06-20, 09:09 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
This is wildly incorrect.

Again, stated with such certainty makes me worry about your relationship with reality.
Do you even exist in the physical world? You must be one sheltered guy to think you will get a serious injury if you land on your face at 10 mph or less. Or maybe I am just the toughest man in the world? I would love to believe that is so but I seriously doubt it.

Statistically, even in a severe accident, the helmet will improve your odds of living.
What's the chance it will keep you living on when you wish you were dead? If your planning includes a significant chance of getting hit by cars then you should get a new plan.

There hasn't been a single documented case that I've seen of a helmet making an injury worse, or causing an injury that might not have otherwise happened. Show me some data.
Lies. Why would you make such a dumb statement? You looked at EVERY case before saying this? How ridiculous. It's been posted here before, it causes brain swelling when you land on the top of your head which can cause traumatic brain injury when you otherwise would not have gotten one.

Really, that's just idiocy. If you don't want to wear a helmet, fine. Don't. But don't spread misinformation like that. It's like people who don't want to wear seatbelts because there's a one in a million chance that the seatbelt might somehow keep them from escaping a burning car (or whatever idiotic scenario you can come up with). Just own your 'independence'. Honestly, we're ok with it if you don't want to wear a helmet. Really. Might be better for all of us in the long run.

The odds are that these safety measures help. That's science and statistics. Period.
They don't do jack, they are feeble protection at best that only work in limited circumstances and don't help much with serious injury.

https://www.cnet.com/news/brain-surg...cycle-helmets/
https://traumaticbraininjury.net/201...eed-an-update/

Last edited by Oneder; 05-06-20 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-07-20, 11:21 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
Do you even exist in the physical world? You must be one sheltered guy to think you will get a serious injury if you land on your face at 10 mph or less. Or maybe I am just the toughest man in the world? I would love to believe that is so but I seriously doubt it.
Let's put this to the test.

Go outside, face a good solid wall. Run about half speed into the wall without using your arms or hands to stop yourself. If you really want to put your money where your mouth is, lean into it and lead with your head. Just make sure you have an ambulance standing by.

Go on. We'll wait.

Lies. Why would you make such a dumb statement? You looked at EVERY case before saying this? How ridiculous. It's been posted here before, it causes brain swelling when you land on the top of your head which can cause traumatic brain injury when you otherwise would not have gotten one.
[Citation needed]

They don't do jack, they are feeble protection at best that only work in limited circumstances and don't help much with serious injury.
But your argument is that at biking speeds, you wouldn't be seriously injured, so that's when you would want a bike helmet. You're confused.
Your first link doesn't back up what you say. Also, the people in those videos are saying 'some studies show' without providing evidence or links.

Meanwhile: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...70-study-finds
This link has a lot of additional links to the actual studies and data. So yeah, you're wrong.
Also, your second link doesn't say what you think it does.

Here's what your second link actually says:
Bicycle helmets save thousands of lives every year, but there are no bicycle helmets which can do much to protect brains from concussions. Football helmets have been constantly tweaked and “improved” over the last decade and while none can actively prevent concussions, they can protect the brain more than the helmets being worn by cyclists. Not, to say cyclists need to be wearing full football helmets, but they need headgear designed with our current knowledge of TBI in mind, rather than standards well over a decade old.
Bolded for the hard of thinking.

You're welcome.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 05-07-20, 12:14 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bicycle helmets don't work for anything but protecting skin, period. If you are going 10 mph or less like most people (and as is the law if you are on virtually every bike path in america) they also are simply not going to come into play in the first place. So please stop the hysterics. If you do ride very fast or go among cars constantly you probably should wear a helmet, but wear a motorcycle helmet because then it will actually protect you and won't harm you in some cases and cause TBI like bicycle helmets and some other sport helmets are known for.