Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Wow...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-20, 03:31 AM
Ross520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Wow...

So, I decided to start rebuilding the first bike I ever bought (a 1994 Cannondale T400 I bought on CL). I put a bunch of new parts on it (NOS shifters, crankset, derailleurs, etc.) the other day and as soon as I finished tuning the front and rear mech, I took her on a cruise around the neighborhood.

Now this was my first time riding a DT shifter bike in a while, as my other two bikes have integrated shifters. As I began my ride, I immediately noticed how much of a pain-in-the-*** it is to have to reach down to shift. I didn't remember it being that bad. I mean, it was tolerable for a neighbor ride, but that would have been awful for anything serious.

Why is it that so many folks on here seem so content with their DT shifting bicycles? Have you ever given integrated shifters a chance? Is it a "get off my lawn" thing? Is it simply just nostalgia? Is it more fun for you because it keeps you more engaged?

I can could definitely understand the last one, given my preference for manual transmission cars, even though they're objectively slower and require far more effort.

Thoughts?
Old 06-07-20, 04:09 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520
So, I decided to start rebuilding the first bike I ever bought (a 1994 Cannondale T400 I bought on CL). I put a bunch of new parts on it (NOS shifters, crankset, derailleurs, etc.) the other day and as soon as I finished tuning the front and rear mech, I took her on a cruise around the neighborhood.

Now this was my first time riding a DT shifter bike in a while, as my other two bikes have integrated shifters. As I began my ride, I immediately noticed how much of a pain-in-the-*** it is to have to reach down to shift. I didn't remember it being that bad. I mean, it was tolerable for a neighbor ride, but that would have been awful for anything serious.

Why is it that so many folks on here seem so content with their DT shifting bicycles? Have you ever given integrated shifters a chance? Is it a "get off my lawn" thing? Is it simply just nostalgia? Is it more fun for you because it keeps you more engaged?

I can could definitely understand the last one, given my preference for manual transmission cars, even though they're objectively slower and require far more effort.

Thoughts?
DT is simpler and weighs less, friction front is always better IMO. I prefer STI/ergo but DT shifters remain a good solution.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 06-07-20, 05:03 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Only bad thing about DT shifters is the Italian Team will reach over and put you in the little cog

Old 06-07-20, 05:07 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,412 Times in 2,750 Posts
I don't see a lot of interest here outside of C&V. Certainly easy and cheap to switch to bar ends or something like this https://www.gevenalle.com/product/audax/
Old 06-07-20, 05:49 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
50 yrs and countless miles with downtube shifters.
I had one bike with brifters, kept reaching down to shift gears.
Old 06-07-20, 05:49 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Hmmm, the appeal of downtube shifters for some people?

I like downtube shifters. I like barend shifters. I light Campagnolo 2001 Ergo Mirage shifters.

When riding on the drops it's an easy,smooth movement of the hand to my downtube shifter. In some ways it's easier than moving my hand up to engage the button on my Campagnolo Ergo shifter. I think a lot of it is what you're used to.

I debated putting Ergos on my touring bike because either a friction compatible barend shifter of friction compatible downtube shifter would allow me to use ANY new or used rear wheel if I trashed a wheel on a tour. My barend shifters work either index or friction. Ditto for some of my downtube shifters. A couple of my bikes have friction only downtube shifters but I'm so used to those that it's almost like using index shifters.

I think that perhaps the bigger the frame the harder it might be to reach a downtube shifter.

Advantages of Brifters and Ergos are that you can easily shift even standing and you don't need to remove a hand from the handlebar in order to execute a shift. that comes in extremely handy when struggling up a hill and fighting strong gusty cross-winds and I need to shift. It's why I did put the Campagnolo Ergo Mirage onto my road touring bike.

Cheers
Old 06-07-20, 05:51 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Ride it some more! Good analogy with the car though. Definitely not as quick, but more fun, and rewarding.
Tim
Old 06-07-20, 05:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
There was a remarkably silly thread about a year ago where a guy predicted dt shifters were about to stage a comeback.

People seemed to fall into four camps. A very small number were familiar with both and preferred dt to integrated. A much bigger number use both on different bikes. An even bigger number had used both and now have no interest in dt. And finally, a big group of "wait, they put shifters on the down tube?"
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-07-20, 06:01 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
I've done that if I've ridden my downtube shifter bikes a lot and then rode my Ergo equipped bike. Especially if it's a long ride and I'm getting tired. Reach down to shift, can't find the shifter, glance down, no shifter, then remember it's my Ergo bike.

Cheers
Old 06-07-20, 06:08 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
There was a remarkably silly thread about a year ago where a guy predicted dt shifters were about to stage a comeback.

People seemed to fall into four camps. A very small number were familiar with both and preferred dt to integrated. A much bigger number use both on different bikes. An even bigger number had used both and now have no interest in dt. And finally, a big group of "wait, they put shifters on the down tube?"
I would put myself in a fifth group: those who just ride happily with what's on the bike. I have bikes with DT shifters, bar ends, trigger shifters, twist shifters, indexed thumb shifters, and one that shifts with pedals. I like the feel of all of them, though the twist shifters on my trike are wearing and I'll probably replace them with thumb levers. I can certainly see how someone who has never used DT shifters would find them burdensome. I've used them for many decades so they feel natural. Best setup IMO is half-step gearing. It reduces the duplication of ratios, though it does require you to exercise your left hand a bit more.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 06-07-20, 06:37 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I’m definitely in the second group, have both, like both. One benefit of friction shifting is much less constraint due to component compatibility. Example: my Masi needs a 6-speed 13-26 tooth rear gearset, to use the full range of the derailleur and keep its vintage nature. I have one such, with worn teeth, which needs replacement. It just threads on to the hub, so I can use any other brand level, or vintage of freewheel. Contrast my retro roadie frames where the brand of the shifters (Campy Ergopower in these cases) mostly dictates all other drivetrain choices. There are some surprising cross-compatibilities, but usually involve compromises.
Old 06-07-20, 07:43 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I commute through a hilly town (Colorado Springs). I am always hunting gears and fidgiting. For many years all I had was my one 21-speed MTB with trigger shifters right where the grips are, so I could shift without moving a hand.

Then I acquired an old 12-speed road bike with DT shifters. I had to think if it was safe to remove a hand to shift...plus it took a little longer to shift so I had to be deliberate about it.

Then I got a bike with brifters and I hunt and fidgit on that bike.

Then last fall I converted the MTB to drop bars with bar-end shifters, and I had to think about moving a hand to shift (although not as far as with DT shifters).

In hilly terrain (or on a day with strong variable winds) having shifters at your fingers is very nice.

But downtube shifters (and other "remote" shifters) are nice in a way, because they make you think whether a shift is necessary.

And now that I'm almost 60, I find reaching down to the downtube to shift helps prevent a stiff back from being in the same position too long...especially on longer rides. And that's why I'm thinking of installng some vintage "lever shifters", so I can incorporate even more stretching into my riding.

And then there's always the possibility of "flip-flop" hubs which would require even more bending and stretching to shift, although those shifts take a really long time and require both hands off the bars.

Last edited by BobbyG; 06-07-20 at 07:46 AM.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 06-07-20, 08:07 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
I have both and like them both. I don't mind reaching down. It's second nature to me.
Old 06-07-20, 08:27 AM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
I've only had one bike made after 2000. A trek MTB. It had indexed shifters on flat bar. Those shifters have by magnitudes less miles, but have needed more attention than all my other DT bikes combined. Maybe they gotten better, more reliable over the years, but my current bikes serve me just fine. No need to spend money on something I don't need. I don't ride competitively or even in groups so have no performance requirements. I also just have a greater appreciation for older bikes aesthetically. Maybe just a generational thing, but it is what it is, no new bikes or modernization projects in the near future for me.
Likes For gear64:
Old 06-07-20, 08:36 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 861 Times in 489 Posts
I've ridden in a pretty tight peloton as recently as February with downtube shifters. I typically ride Campy Ergo's.

It's possible, fine even. There's no doubt though, that I had less control than with Ergo's. It changes my riding style, I find myself pedaling faster or slower to make up for times I would have shifted on a newer bike.

For club rides, it's fun once in a while. If it's a good retro bike, it's also a great conversation starter. There is no current advantage. The weight thing is a non issue, since it's possible to build an electronic shifting and hydro disc brake bike at or below the legal limit.
Old 06-07-20, 09:33 AM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Great responses folks!

Hoping it gets a bit less annoying as time goes on and I re-adjust to suicide shifting.
Old 06-07-20, 04:44 PM
theDirtyLemon

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
You're out of practice. Keep at it, and you'll find the knack.
It helps if you are holding your torso up with your core muscles so you can isolate your arm movement from your steering movements. Then, if you drop your arm in a smooth arc, your hand should fall right onto the shift levers.
​​​​​
Old 06-07-20, 06:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

What I love about this conversation is there no single right answer, it's all about habits and preferences. What got very silly about the previous thread was people trying to convince the others they were right.

DT shifting is a niche preference at this point. I like that some people still enjoy it, I'm just not one of them.
Old 06-07-20, 06:32 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by gear64
I've only had one bike made after 2000. A trek MTB. It had indexed shifters on flat bar. Those shifters have by magnitudes less miles, but have needed more attention than all my other DT bikes combined. Maybe they gotten better, more reliable over the years, but my current bikes serve me just fine. No need to spend money on something I don't need. I don't ride competitively or even in groups so have no performance requirements. I also just have a greater appreciation for older bikes aesthetically. Maybe just a generational thing, but it is what it is, no new bikes or modernization projects in the near future for me.

A. Yup, they got better.
​​​​​​B. If I hadn't gotten used to on the bar shifting, I'd probably still happily be using dt, but I totally lost the habit about 1989. I rode a dt shifting bike a couple years ago just far enough to decide I don't want to relearn skills I haven't used in three decades.
C. Esthetic preferences are important. They keep us happy doing this stuff.
Old 06-07-20, 07:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520

Thoughts?

I have one bike with downtube shifters, the reason I keep them is they are Dura-Ace 7400 and I have the 7400 brake levers and cannot fathom replacing them even though I love my Gevenalle levers on my touring bike, which would be perfect in this application. Aside from that two other geared road bikes are STI levers.

I will say I do not like STI levers because the brake lever is a shift lever. Di2 solves that problem but can't Di2 8 speed Tricolor. I don't like DoubleTap but love the feel of SRAM levers (why I have them on both of my fixed gear/single speed bikes). Campy Ergo levers I haven't really tried but you have to go Campy and since they don't do wide range stuff it doesn't work well for any upcoming builds I want to do. I like the Gevenalle for my touring bike but would love to see a version with return to center levers like the SRAM or old Zipp bar ends for TT bikes.

I think if someone came up with a friction R2C STI style lever for the front derailleur I think more people might go STI some people just love a friction shift at the front.
Old 06-07-20, 07:56 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I went from downtube friction shifters to Di2 (two different bikes). Then I "upgraded" the bike with the friction shifters to Campy integrated brake/shifters. I do miss the downtube shifters, even though my arms are rather too short to be comfortable with them.

I have bar-end shifters on a different bike. Friction shifting for the front is definitely something that only electronic shifting has been able to improve upon.
Old 06-07-20, 08:37 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I have bikes with DT, Ergo and trigger shifters, and had some with twist shifters too. All have their pros and cons IMO, but what I like most is the crisp, short travel feel of indexed DT and the versatility of friction DT (Shimano DT lets you choose).
Old 06-08-20, 01:59 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
I had that problem for the first 100 miles on the brifters. Now I do not. However, I find I can get back on on a DT bike and is fits like an old glove.

It is like a stick shift vehicle. My father forced me to learn on a stick. I drove a stick for 25 years, then went to two automatic trucks, back to a stick SAAB, and now have an auto w AWD. I will always be able to drive a stick, but will never buy one again.
Old 06-08-20, 04:32 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
My sense, after having ridden countless miles using different styles of shifting both in groups and solo, is that downtube shifting requires better anticipation, superior balance and athleticism, and finer motor control when the body is otherwise under stress. They're apparently not for everyone.

There was a time when downtube shifters were basically all we had, so we learned them.

I really appreciate STIs, though. They're peachy, for the reasons given above. I like bar ends, too.

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 06-08-20 at 05:03 AM.