Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Another Clyde, Help Me Decide

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-20, 11:15 PM
Joat79

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone! I have been lurking for a bit and have finally decided to take the plunge and get a bike. I recently rode one on a vacation and it’s made me miss how much I like the outdoors and challenges that come with it.

A little backstory on myself. 6’3, 370, with a 31” inseam. I am no stranger to athletic effort but haven’t really biked for real. Played sports in HS and College.

I will preface this to say I’m a total noob when it comes to this. I understand some of the terms and things, but I am coming to y’all for suggestions/guidance.

What I am looking for: Please tell me if I’m way off base. My budget is between 1k - 2k. I would like to stay closer to the beginning, or cheaper, but the wife has cleared me for the upper amount as well. 😃 I Would like a bike to ride around the neighborhood and on the street, and also to be able to ride a simple trail as well. I don’t know if those two things are possible due to the variance in equipment, but I wanted to throw that out there. I do want to feel confident on my bike.

I have talked to a few bike shops and done some independent research. I have seen bikes from Zize, Trek, and Giant (the bike I rode on vacation). I need the suggestion on the respective models from those manufacturers, and even other manufacturers that might not be on my radar as well. From what I gather the frames should be ok with my weight and I should focus on the wheels and tires. Am I on the right track? Thinking of maybe a 36/40 spoke for the back at least before I even get on it, or should I just ride as-is and get acquainted? New saddle would be on the list as well. Just want to be situated as best I can to not be discouraged after my first ride due to damaged equipment or what not.

Hopefully that was enough info to go on, but feel free to ask anything else and I will try my best to answer. My usual forum posts will not be word vomit, I promise!
Old 06-08-20, 11:32 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 932 Posts
I know people with Trek Checkpoint AL or ALR. They seem to like them. They have models in your price range & large enough tires to be useful.

Good call on the higher spoke count wheel. It might be worth asking the shop if they'll include a higher spoke wheel for the cost difference. But realistically they may balk at the question. My CX bike came with a "replacement" 36 count wheel...so maybe you'll get lucky & won't have to ask at all.

A prebuilt 36 spoke Velocity Cliffhanger can be had for around $130 when supplied by Quality Bike Products. QBP is a national bikeshop supply warehouse & distribtion outfit your bikeshop likely has an account with. edit: Here is one, 700c & rim brake. Here is another in 650/27.5 in disc. 650/27.5 disc would allow for larger tires in an otherwise "700c" frame.

In anycase, you'd want to avoid anything with a freewheel. Freehub is what you'd want no matter what spoke count wheel you end up with.

You might consider actively looking for a floor model bike a year or 2 older than current. Doing so can save big money. So it's worth an ask. You can put the savings into a more capable wheel set, or elsewhere if needed.

At your weight you might consider larger 180mm rotors if going with disc brakes. When I was 250 pounds I found myself wishing for more brakes than the OEM 160's had to offer on far too many occassions. Terrain , speed, & riding style dependent, of course. Everyone raves about hydraulic...I've never felt mechanical TRP Spyre/Spyke or Avid BB7's were lacking in feel (modulation,) or capability on any terrain, at any speed, on any bike I own when mated to 180mm rotors. I mention brakes just as something to keep in mind...that's all. I wish someone had mentioned them when I was bigger & first starting out.

Last edited by base2; 06-09-20 at 12:48 AM.
Old 06-09-20, 07:20 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
What type of simple trail were you thinking about riding? Is it paved or dirt?
Old 06-09-20, 12:22 PM
coney462

Bikes: 2015 Giant Escape 2,

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joat79
Hello everyone! I have been lurking for a bit and have finally decided to take the plunge and get a bike. I recently rode one on a vacation and it’s made me miss how much I like the outdoors and challenges that come with it.

A little backstory on myself. 6’3, 370, with a 31” inseam. I am no stranger to athletic effort but haven’t really biked for real. Played sports in HS and College.

I will preface this to say I’m a total noob when it comes to this. I understand some of the terms and things, but I am coming to y’all for suggestions/guidance.

What I am looking for: Please tell me if I’m way off base. My budget is between 1k - 2k. I would like to stay closer to the beginning, or cheaper, but the wife has cleared me for the upper amount as well. 😃 I Would like a bike to ride around the neighborhood and on the street, and also to be able to ride a simple trail as well. I don’t know if those two things are possible due to the variance in equipment, but I wanted to throw that out there. I do want to feel confident on my bike.

I have talked to a few bike shops and done some independent research. I have seen bikes from Zize, Trek, and Giant (the bike I rode on vacation). I need the suggestion on the respective models from those manufacturers, and even other manufacturers that might not be on my radar as well. From what I gather the frames should be ok with my weight and I should focus on the wheels and tires. Am I on the right track? Thinking of maybe a 36/40 spoke for the back at least before I even get on it, or should I just ride as-is and get acquainted? New saddle would be on the list as well. Just want to be situated as best I can to not be discouraged after my first ride due to damaged equipment or what not.

Hopefully that was enough info to go on, but feel free to ask anything else and I will try my best to answer. My usual forum posts will not be word vomit, I promise!
Giant Escape 2 Disk ($580) with upgraded 36 spoke rear wheel will cost well below $1k
Old 06-09-20, 01:06 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,820 Times in 1,540 Posts
here are a coupld of good options

surly midnight special this is at the top end of your budget but could meet your needs for years and years https://surlybikes.com/bikes/midnight_special

surly bridge club https://surlybikes.com/bikes/bridge_club but go 700c option which they call illegal smile it has swept back bars not flat

IMHO if you think you are going to keep this up, spending more now will be cheaper long run.

also I see to many people get bikes and out grow them

and finally it is a total myth IME that flat bars are more comfortable than the class drop bars

Old 06-09-20, 01:13 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I recommend a touring bike. It will be able to handle your weight, and you can get a decent one for well under $2k.

This list is from 2013, but it will give you an idea of what touring bikes are available and how much they cost:

https://www.cyclingabout.com/a-compl...s-with-prices/
Old 06-09-20, 02:59 PM
GMoser85

Bikes: Salsa Horsethief, Kona Ute Longtail

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I recently purchased a Felt F30x, I got mine on ebay in original box for 1399, retails at 2k, I upgraded from a Schwinn high timber, I fell like I traded in a full size truck for a sports car. The couple people I have rode with(all non Clyde riders) are unable to keep up with me downhill at least. I have not yet upgraded my rear wheel and that's what I am going to start a thread to ask for help. I'm 5'11" probably, 275 now, down from 292. Drop bar takes a bit to get use to, especially when your belly hits it when in a full drop.

Having a cheap mountain bike, does have advantages as it is much cheaper to fix(I have done wheels and a groupset), more versatile on all terrains. doing a 20 mile ride I am roughly 15 minutes slower on the heavy mountain bike and a lot more worn out vrs riding my 20lb cyclocross bike. If you do go with a cheap bike, it can get expensive quick to upgrade as you outgrow it, and spend more then the bike is worth and then when you do upgrade make sure its not something you will outgrown for some time.

If you have young kids, get a bike trailer, hauler, and pull them around. It will help climbing hills when you ride without them. I'm still new to this as well and learning a lot from this form, talking with other riders and personal experience.
Old 06-09-20, 05:05 PM
Joat79

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for the replies so far. I have a lot more homework to do now. I will check out the surly as I have not heard about those. Hopefully my shop can get me one in about a month. I know they are pretty backlogged all over. In the store they were really pushing Trek so that’s why I came here for the tips.
Old 06-09-20, 05:37 PM
Joat79

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
What..
Thats definitely a great question, and I don’t really have a specific answer, but I want to hone my road skillset as that will be where most action takes place. Mainly just asked if it could be something simple like switching wheels and tires. Haha it gets overwhelming with all the options. I do want to find a club to ride with eventually as well.