Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Check out my Motobecane Mirage, and tell me about it

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-20-08, 12:46 PM
jeffmendoza

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi All,

I recently acquired this sweet Motobecane Mirage from the thrift store for $9. The decals have been taken off, but I can tell that it said mirage (pic 2, sorry about focus). Does the script give any indication of year? The shifters appear to be upgraded (pic 7), so I guess other things could be upgraded too.

The saddle pictured is not the one it came with. The plastic frame on the saddle it came with was breaking, so I swapped it with one I had laying around. I've put on new tires, tubes, and rim tape. I plan on taking some steel wool to the spokes and crank. I don't know what to do about the rust on the chrome part of the fork. Any ideas? It rides very nicely, but I think I need to get a spoke wrench and true the rear wheel. What else should I pay attention to?

I eventually would like to upgrade to cotterless cranks, How do I tell if my BB is Swiss threaded or ISO? If it is Swiss, where can I get a spindle to work with my existing parts and cotterless cranks? Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
01-bike.jpg (59.1 KB, 69 views)
02-mirage.jpg (64.9 KB, 34 views)
03-head.jpg (56.1 KB, 44 views)
04-badge.jpg (39.1 KB, 20 views)
05-tubing.jpg (43.7 KB, 23 views)
06-shifters.jpg (56.2 KB, 27 views)
07-shifters2.jpg (37.1 KB, 23 views)
08-rd.jpg (70.5 KB, 40 views)
09-fd.jpg (54.8 KB, 19 views)
10-cranks.jpg (88.0 KB, 29 views)
11-crank.jpg (63.5 KB, 20 views)
12-stem.jpg (37.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 08-20-08, 12:47 PM
jeffmendoza

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
More pics.
Attached Images
13-hub.jpg (63.8 KB, 16 views)
14-rim.jpg (47.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 08-20-08, 01:02 PM
G piny parnas
messenger

Bikes: pinarellos and a colnago

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
nice

this, my friend, is a fine thrift store candidate for a fixie....... good luck..
Old 08-20-08, 01:13 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
It's true that bike would make a very nice FG, but it would also serve you well as an everyday rider or commuter with multiple gears. My guess is it's way too old to be anything other than French threaded.
Old 08-20-08, 01:58 PM
Blue Order

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's pre-1973...
Old 08-20-08, 02:05 PM
eagleb
Fire Beats Plague

Bikes: Lotus Odyssey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like my 73 Mirage, aside from some different components. Got me through 300 miles of commuting before I bought my Lotus.
I too am looking for a way to ditch the cottered cranks, and possibly convert to a fixie...

Old 08-20-08, 02:26 PM
Blue Order

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Order
It's pre-1973...
Originally Posted by eagleb
Looks like my 73 Mirage, aside from some different components.
I thought about it after I posted, and realized it was possibly pre-1974. The round headbadge was a 50th anniversary commemorative, but I've seen at least one 1973 Motobecane with that earlier style headbadge, so it seems that the 50th anniversary commemorative came out either sometime later in 1973, or else in the 1974 model year.

OP, you can figure out the year by checking the date codes on your components; the Component Dates page at Vintage Trek will help you decode the date codes.

I'm just taking a guess, but I think that Shimano RD on the OP's bike is a replacement for a SunTour RD.

Last edited by Blue Order; 08-20-08 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-20-08, 03:19 PM
jeffmendoza

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
eagleb, yes it looks just like yours except for the headbadge. Those decals on the fork look like the shadows left on mine. Does yours have steel rims? I was thinking mine were upgraded.

Blue Order, It looks like I should be able to check the date codes on my FD, hubs, and brake levers. I'll try that tonight.
Old 08-20-08, 04:21 PM
eagleb
Fire Beats Plague

Bikes: Lotus Odyssey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
definitely steel rims, with the sweet embossed texture that give a nice whirring sound when slowing down.
the bike is stock from the day my dad bought it. Still has his Oregon State license on it.
Old 08-20-08, 04:35 PM
gr23932
Si se Puede!!!....Ahuevo!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffmendoza
where can I get a spindle to work with my existing parts and cotterless cranks? Thanks in advance.
You could just change the spindle and keep the rest of the BB parts. I've done it with a Peugeot PH8 and a no name bike. I might have an extra spindle you can have. PM me.
Old 08-20-08, 04:43 PM
jeffmendoza

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gr23932
You could just change the spindle and keep the rest of the BB parts.
Yes, this is what I was thinking about. Here is the info from Sheldon's site:

Since French bottom brackets are normally the usual 68 mm width, British/I.S.O. bottom bracket axles will sometimes work.

French bottom bracket cups usually have thinner walls than Japanese ones, so the bearing ridges on the spindles are farther apart. If you use a standard Japanese spindle, the adjustable cup won't be able to screw in far enough to snug up the bearings, or if it does, it will sink into the bottom bracket shell so that you won't be able to install the lockring.

The good news is that a Japanese spindle made for an Italian size (70 mm) bottom bracket will usually fit! In the Sugino marking system, these are the spindles that are marked with a "5" code. Spindles for 68 mm bbs have codes beginning with 3. This trick often makes it possible to upgrade an older bike from cotterd to cotterless cranks at a reasonable cost.