Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Biker with Patella Femoral / Dislocation history - about to buy bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-10, 01:53 AM
DylPickle85

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I'm new to the biking world and am eager to get started. My primary reason for wanting to begin road biking is a desire to remain active, keep the pounds off, and get outdoors, but I'm limited in what medium to do that in due to my history of patella dislocations on my left knee, so cycling seems like a great option! I also suffer from slight kyphosis (genetically) that I sometimes struggle with. I enjoy the bike in the gym, but that gets boring quickly and I feel the urge to venture out!

A little about me, I'm 25 years old, 6 foot, 175 lbs. I have a history of 2 full patella dislocations on my left knee (first time in 2002 upon suffering direct-blow to the knee, and second in 2009 in a dancing accident). For those who care to read into the gory details: First dislocation warranted surgery, which consisted of arthroscopic debridement and open-procedure of MPFL medial reefing (medial patella femoral ligament). This obviously failed upon 2nd dislocation, and have undergone intense PT off and on since then. MRI results from last year show excess patellar tilt, MPFL insufficiency with chronic (minor) swelling, and a primary defect beneath the patella itself. I visited my ortho a week or two ago, and although his first statement was "honestly, your knee isn't all that unstable", he felt that Lateral Retinacular Release and possibly MPFL Reconstruction surgery would benefit me beyond my current condition. Currently, I'm seeing a new PT, and she's been helping with lots of hands-on miofascial release, and hip strengthening exercises. Honestly, I don't think surgery is necessary unless I run into further complications down the road.

I have a desire to remain healthy and active, and routinely get in the gym a few times a week and stick to cycling machine for cardio. I also enjoy tennis, and running a couple miles occasionally. Cycling in the gym gets boring, and I really want to get a road bike and start getting out, which my PT is definitely supportive of.

My goals for riding include: primary form of exercise, further therapy for my knee, building endurance, and low chance of short term/long term injury to my knee and other parts of my body. I live in Nor Cal, which is an amazing place for riding, so I want to be able to work my way up to a high level of endurance to go out for long rides. I'm not too interested in getting into racing or triathlons, but maybe if I catch the bug for that, then sure I've been shopping around and educating myself on the different types of road bikes on the market, accessories needed, etc, and want to pull the trigger soon.

I'm looking to get an entry-level to mid-level bike, and want to be sure I don't slouch and get a good frame (carbon) with decent components (shimano 105 +). As I said, I'm not too interested in racing, so I've been leaning toward more of the plush, relaxed style of bike.

I've currently narrowed it down between two bikes at two different shops that fit great:
2010 Specialized Roubaix Elite - selling for $1860 at LBS #1
2010 Cannondale Six Carbon 5 - selling for $1800 at LBS #2

I've also tried the Cannondale Synapse, Specialized Allez, Trek Madone 4.5, and Felt Z35 & F75. The Roubaix is a great bike, and I like it's floaty and easy ride, but the relaxed posture seemed a little too relaxed, yet this may be ideal for my back and for long-term riding. The Cannondale is awesome, and is very nimble and responsive...lots of fun to ride, more aggressive than the Roubaix, slightly stiffer and a little more bumpy on the road, but may not be practical for many miles. In terms of the bike shops, they're both quite well versed, personable, and eager to please and take time to address the issues I've mentioned. LBS #1 seems to have a bit a better understanding on the fitting process (particularly related to my patella femoral concern), and their service program that comes with the bike is a bit better as well. Even though, I still may get fitted ultimately by a local PT who is one of the best in the country (Revolutions in Fitness), although at a premium of course.

In terms of my knee issue, what sort of pedals and shoes should I be considering? I hear great things about the Speedplay Zeros...are they worth getting right off the bat?

Any comments and input is appreciated

Last edited by DylPickle85; 07-19-10 at 01:56 AM.
Old 07-19-10, 11:42 AM
DylPickle85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*bump* any feedback?
Old 07-19-10, 12:25 PM
deep_sky

Bikes: 2012 Scott CR1 Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, get the bike that is comfortable for you. Riding with too aggressive a position will simply have that bike sitting in the garage because it hurts to ride. For that reason alone I would go with the Roubaix.
Your fit is going to be critical in determining if you can ride with a knee with those kinds of issues. Definitely have that PT do a fit as soon as you get the bike.
Also, if you live in place that is anything other than pancake flat, get lower gearing. Pushing too big a gear puts a lot of stress on the patella area. I have a triple in front and a 12-32 cassette in back so that I don't aggravate my right knee by climbing.
Speedplays do have the most float, but I am not convinced that your knee needs lots of float, from what you describe. I'm actually considering dropping back down to 4.5 degree cleats (I use look pedals) from 9 as the right knee doesn't appreciate the float when I am standing on the pedals. I expect that you will probably have to experiment with pedal systems to find the one that treats your knee right.
Old 07-19-10, 12:37 PM
Epicus07 
Velophile

Bikes: See Signature.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts
I also have a long history of knee dislocation. I tore some tendons and ligaments and had some bone fragments removed. Cycling is very low impact as long as you have a proper fit and spin in low gears.

I personally ride a Specialized Roubaix. I absolutely love the relaxed geometry and ride quality since i ride long distance. I did Seattle to Portland this weekend and was able to keep up in 20mph pace lines with "more aggressive" bikes. If you like the way the roubaix rides and handles that is all that matters. It will be as quick as any other bike and handles high speed descents exceptionally. The only differences you will find in "more aggressive" bikes are that they will take turns a fraction better at the cost of always feeling like you are steering. Since you aren't racing and are planning on going for longer rides, get the bike that will be comfortable and fun for long rides.

As far as pedals go there is a lot of conflicting views. I personally think that a MTB shoe and cleat is ideal for me. I like that the cleat is recessed so i can walk around in the shoe and the cleat has a little bit of float that provides a small amount of freedom. A fixed road cleat can lock you into a position that prevents a range of motion for better or worse. It won't allow you to move in a way that could hurt your knee/ankle but at the same time, if your placement is wrong for you it could cause new injuries.

Good luck!
Old 07-20-10, 12:47 AM
DylPickle85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the insightful replies! Good call with the gear ratios, I forgot to mention that and ask about it in my initial post. I was leaning toward a double compact, since I have strong legs, but didn't consider the pressure this higher gear would induce on my patella. Maybe the triple is the way to go.

As for the pedals, this is still up for debate. I've been trying to search for pedals that are ideal for my condition, but am having trouble finding any useful info.

Epicus, sounds like you've been through very similar experience as I have with the dislocation history. Could you provide any more insight into the pedals you use, and what has worked and hasn't worked for you in this regard?
Old 07-20-10, 01:03 AM
DRietz

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you're in the Bay Area, there are two things:

1. I have a brother currently recovering from a complete ACL reconstruction. Maybe you guys could chat? lol

2. We could go on a nice easy ride, since I too am just kind of starting out.
Old 07-20-10, 04:24 PM
DylPickle85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DRietz
If you're in the Bay Area, there are two things:

1. I have a brother currently recovering from a complete ACL reconstruction. Maybe you guys could chat? lol

2. We could go on a nice easy ride, since I too am just kind of starting out.
Oh goodness, I feel for your brother, that can't be fun...how is he getting along? I'm in San Jose area, where are you abouts?
Old 07-20-10, 04:39 PM
GoLoaf

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7 / 105 / Double

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DRietz
I've had my ACL reconstructed (hamstring tendon graft) and this patella situation sounds way worse, lol.
Old 07-23-10, 11:25 AM
DylPickle85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GoLoaf
I've had my ACL reconstructed (hamstring tendon graft) and this patella situation sounds way worse, lol.
Yowch that sounds pretty bad too... I'm just stubborn and don't want surgery if I don't need it. Once you go under the knife, there's no going back!
Old 07-23-10, 11:32 AM
DRietz

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DylPickle85
Oh goodness, I feel for your brother, that can't be fun...how is he getting along? I'm in San Jose area, where are you abouts?
He's walking without crutches, so he can support himself. The PT person has released him to the gym, so he can work it out and they're getting him ready to run again. I'm up near Oakland, in San Leandro. If you're ever up around here, drop me a line. We can go for a nice cruise.
Old 07-24-10, 12:32 AM
DylPickle85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bit the bullet today, and ordered the Specialized Roubaix Elite double compact in white Should be arriving by the end of next week. In the meantime, I'll be building up my pool of accessories and getting ready to hit the road.

Right now, I'm researching the whole pedal/cleat issue. People seem to really like the Speedplays with this type of knee condition (patellofemoral). I would love to get the Frogs and be able to use a MTB shoe to walk around easily, but am afraid of the 20+ deg float being too extreme. The Zeros seem like a good choice given their customization capability, but lots of people complain about them being too high maintenance and easy to destroy while walking on cleats.

As for shoes, again its hard to be able to say whats a good fit without trying them in the bike. I hear good things about Specialized and Sidi. I also have custom orthotics for walking, but doubt I could use them when riding...? Some sort of arch support or wedges needed for the shoes? What should I be looking for when trying out different types of shoes for fit?

Anyways, I'm getting quite excited and itching at the possibility of hitting the road ASAP!
Old 07-24-10, 12:41 AM
evilcryalotmore
モㄥ工匕モ 爪モ爪乃モ尺

Bikes: Custom frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also have Patella femoral syndrome. I just recieved my road bike two days ago and i normally ride Track bikes.

My experience in knee pains are generally right when i get on, And Right after i get off..

I ice often.

Let me know how your knees feel!
Old 07-25-10, 03:22 PM
valleycyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would recommend getting the bike professionaly fit as some previous posters mentioned. I don't know any fitters in the Bay Area, but I'm sure there are competent fitters out there. You may want to contact bikefit.com, and see if they have level-II fitters or higher in the Bay Area. One thing with bikefit.com certified fitters is that they can call Paul Swift with any questions, and in your case it may be good if the fitter can talk to a known expert about your fitting. The fitter should also have an idea of a pedal recommendation, and it may just be easiest to get the pedals when you get the bike fit. My feeling is that if the bike is fitted to you, you will not need more than 4.5 degrees of float in a pedal. I really like the Shimano road pedals. I am not very familiar with MTB pedals, but I think they have less adjustability, and the stance width may be wider which may or may not be good for you. Also, you can get much stiffer shoes for road pedals which I think is better for your knees.