Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Planning A Bike Build This Winter?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-14, 07:56 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts

It was last winter I began my first bike build, an '88 Cannondale Criterium Series that became my main ride. When it was near certain I would not be able to find an opportune Black Lightning, I just built my own and with custom flair via a nice frameset.

Builds arent for everybody of course, but after seeing @Zinger bring up the subject in my recent "season gratefulness" thread it made me wonder if any others have plans for a build this winter.
Old 11-01-14, 08:05 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I just purchased a incomplete 1972ish Peugeot PX 10. I think I can build it from parts on hand, mostly.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 11-01-14 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-01-14, 09:40 AM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Picked this up a few weeks ago for a winter project. I'd like to keep the original paint yet touch up all the rust and am a little troubled by how I'm going to do this. Part of the problem is that I'm not very patient when it comes to these kinds of projects. We'll see what happens this winter.

Old 11-01-14, 11:06 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
I've got plans for three builds this winter. The first two are bikes I've had lying around in bits for the last couple of years and for the third I'm hoping to build a modern steel road bike - all I need are the right frame and wheels!

The first two are retro mtbs - a 93 Marin Team Issue with early Hope Disk brakes, and an 89 MS Racing ProComp XT. The Marin will be a keeper as they were great bikes and I'll try to sell the MS Racing - probably at a loss, having had it powdercoated.

Those are my plans, but as the poet Robert Burns said about "the best laid schemes of mice and men"................
Old 11-01-14, 12:30 PM
ofgit

Bikes: Mostly '80s MIJ steel.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gonna prep the ~20 riders that have been in storage since that tornado made me move. There are also about 5 other un built up frames in that shed. Unless maybe a nice 52cm '80s Motobecane, Bianchi, 720 falls in my lap, that's it.
Old 11-01-14, 12:55 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I just purchased a incomplete 1972ish Peugeot PX 10. I think I can build it from parts on hand, mostly.
That is definately worthy of a build.
Old 11-01-14, 12:59 PM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Its a possibility here, depends on the money available and what components I can find. NOS' recent build thread about the Nashbar steel touring fraet got me looking at their offerings, and the steel road frame and fork both fill a hole in my cycling, from the past. The prices on both are highly desirable, $99.00 for the frwame and $59.00 for the chromed fork. This is right up my alley, if I could fine the right components to build this the way I like, it just might come to be. We shall see.

Bill
Let us up at C$V know what you need.
Old 11-01-14, 01:35 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I currently building a Redline SSCX up for winter training. Parts are being delivered everyday from Amazon and Alibaba. I plan to put Challenge 38mm tires on it that will allow riding on snow and railroad ballast. I'll use a rear wheel with a flip/flop hub enabling either fixed or freewheel.
Old 11-01-14, 01:44 PM
909Rat

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rebuilding an old Gazelle AA frame this winter. Looking for parts at the moment. Can´t wait for it to shine
Old 11-01-14, 02:33 PM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've got a wheel build project for my MTB and I'm in the process of throwing together a frankenbike from spare parts to use in the trainer this winter. Other than that, not much in the way of builds planned.
Old 11-01-14, 04:26 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
In the process (slowly) of rebuilding my 18 years old steel Serotta with a compact, new gears new breaks etc!
Old 11-01-14, 04:30 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I have two old bikes that need to be rebuilt. One is a Davidson racing bike; the other a Trek 720. I have all the parts on hand and hopefully I'll get them done before the deep freeze more or less kicks me out of my garage.
Old 11-02-14, 04:18 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Now that I have some home maintenance out of the way, I'm building up a frame I was lucky enough to get from Barrettscv almost a year ago that I'd been waiting for money to start on.

It's the same model Trek 970 road frame that I built up thirty years ago but had to sell to ship some machinists tools to the west coast during a move from Dallas. That used Ofmega, Modolo, Wolber and Cinelli parts. This one will be using Suntour, Velo Orange, Nitto, Ritchey and Dia Compe.

I even bought a spoke tension meter this time. Don't know why because I don't lace up that many wheels but I was curious as to whether I've been getting it right I guess.
Old 11-02-14, 06:41 AM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I've been planning out my Long Haul Trucker build to do once I get the parts Before I ordered the parts I totally changed my mind on the build, from a very low geared gravel bike with bar end shifters to more of a generalist with STI shifters that I forgot I had.

I also have this goofy BCAmerica mixte frame that someone gave me. I think I have enough crap around to make a bike out of it. I am though debating making it into a single speed. I've never done that, but I would have to get some parts to make it work. But, I'll probably go with the parts I have which would make it a triple on the front and eight on the rear. I still haven't puzzled out how to cable it though. I have no idea how the bike was set up originally.
Old 11-02-14, 07:51 AM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by goldfinch
I've been planning out my Long Haul Trucker build to do once I get the parts Before I ordered the parts I totally changed my mind on the build, from a very low geared gravel bike with bar end shifters to more of a generalist with STI shifters that I forgot I had.

I also have this goofy BCAmerica mixte frame that someone gave me. I think I have enough crap around to make a bike out of it. I am though debating making it into a single speed. I've never done that, but I would have to get some parts to make it work. But, I'll probably go with the parts I have which would make it a triple on the front and eight on the rear. I still haven't puzzled out how to cable it though. I have no idea how the bike was set up originally.
Would it help to find a pic of another mixte? I'd think that could get you going. Imagine a mixte fixie. Kinda sings.
Old 11-02-14, 08:54 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Finishing up the new primary light tourer. Other two projects are a little boring but needed: retiring my commuter after 10 yrs of reliability and building up two as replacements --a winter version that will be very similar to old one, and a summer CF version that will double as a dynamo-lighted tourer.
Old 11-02-14, 10:22 AM
OldsCOOL

I wont be doing a build unless a nice Italian frame somehow appears in my shop.

But then, my riders are too nice and so sweet (to me, anyways) that I wont need another build. A De Rosa or Masi or.....the unresistable ***sigh*** COLNAGO.
Old 11-02-14, 12:07 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 136 Posts
Even though winter is riding season here, I'm rebuilding my old 95 Trek 850 for my daughter, and I'd also like to get my wife's old Novara Stratos running (tires, tubes, cables, etc.)

Mrs. Rat doesn't know it yet, but I'm also considering a N+1 carbon or ti road bike purchase.
Old 11-02-14, 12:47 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
made me wonder if any others have plans for a build this winter.
Just done converting my Stanyan to shallow drop bars & brifters for winter/wet weather riding from it's MKI spec.

MKI

-Bandera
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Soma_2.jpg (64.2 KB, 34 views)
Old 11-02-14, 12:53 PM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by Bandera
Just done converting my Stanyan to shallow drop bars & brifters for winter/wet weather riding from it's MKI spec.

MKI

-Bandera
Classy! But I do have to say the DT shifters look almost out of place on that particular bike.
Old 11-02-14, 01:01 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Classy! But I do have to say the DT shifters look almost out of place on that particular bike.
Thanks!
Will post a pic sometime of the "after" conversion to Shimano brifters and later model Look pedals.
Made sense for how it's actually being ridden.

-Bandera
Old 11-02-14, 02:43 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Would it help to find a pic of another mixte? I'd think that could get you going. Imagine a mixte fixie. Kinda sings.
I've been poking around looking at pictures. I did figure out what kind of brakes would work and how to cable them. A single speed does sound sweet.
Old 11-02-14, 03:12 PM
chewa
The Flying Scot

Bikes: Custom (Colin Laing) 531c fast tourer/audax, 1964 Flying Scot Continental, 1995 Cinelli Supercorsa, Holdsworth Mistral single speed, Dahon Speed 6 (folder), Micmo Sirocco and a few more

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I plan to rebuild my Mistral into either a single/fixie (as I had it before respray and colour change, or maybe a traditional 10 speed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
017 (1024x768).jpg (100.0 KB, 21 views)

1985 Sandy Gilchrist-Colin Laing built 531c Audax/fast tourer.
1964 Flying Scot Continental (531)
1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (Columbus SLX)
1980s Holdsworth Mistral fixed (531)
2005 Dahon Speed 6 (folder)
(YES I LIKE STEEL)
2008 Viking Saratoga tandem
2008 Micmo Sirocco Hybrid (aluminium!)
2012 BTwin Rockrider 8.1
Old 11-02-14, 06:09 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera

MKI

-Bandera
Oh a Stanyan would be an excellent new frame build. If I ever do another build, after this winter, a chrome lugged Tange Infinity tubed Soma Stanyan frameset would definitely be considered.
Old 11-03-14, 07:22 PM
RoadLight

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Greetings,

I'm planning to rebuild a trusted old bike this winter (2014/15)---my 1985 Fuji Espree. I noticed a couple of problems with its frame near the end of the season this year after putting just over 3,000 miles on it, including two centuries. It has a micro fracture near the top of the left seat stay and the right cable guide (rear derailleur) is breaking away from the top of the bottom bracket (one of the braze points has come apart).

I do almost all of the bike repair and service for my family but repairing a frame is beyond my ability. The frame is an excellent quad-butted steel frame. I've striped it and the fork of all parts and will be sending it out soon for the work. Naturally, this will include new paint since original paint must be removed for the repairs.

The rebuild will begin when the frame is done. It has a Suntour drivetrain and I found a like-new rear derailleur to replace the beat-up original. And I'll be upgrading the bottom bracket to one of the micro-light "grease guard" models that are terrific.

But there's one task I'm still trying to decide whether or not to tackle. My family has four sets of wheels that I service. Three sets have vintage 27 x 1-1/8" Ukai alloy rims. The fourth set is modern 700c Shimano Ultegra wheelset. The three vintage sets need to be trued and I've never trued a wheel, although I've studied into it a bit. The question is: "Is it worth the effort and cost to master this skill?" I'm inclined to answer "yes" because of the number of wheels under my care. But I'm not eager to spend the money for the new tools or spend the time to learn.

Kind regards, RoadLight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.