Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I shall soon be breaking a cardinal rule...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I shall soon be breaking a cardinal rule...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-11, 01:38 AM
mapleleafs-13 

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto, Pinarello Montello, Bianchi Celeste

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't do drugs or drink much but i guess if i were to compare bike collecting to anything then i would say it's pretty much like a drug....

It's too addicting, and you gotta always have the good sh*t.... haha

i think we might need a C&V intervention club or a C&V anonymous.
Old 12-07-11, 08:22 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by rothenfield1
I guess this is as good of a place as any to post my mini-rant about aesthetics versus function. The biggest thing that drove me away from this site for a while was this my seemingly endless and pricy pursuit of a quasi-period correct bike both cosmetically and mechanically. Some of the bikes I’ve seen on these threads really blow my mind in their beauty and mechanical precision. However, I really appreciate, these days, a bike that has been thoughtfully pieced together with economy in mind. So what if you used a Tange Levin headset over the Campy Record that would have matched the build, for example.

I realize that this may be hierarchy to some, and I’m not trying to offend anyone, but paying $60 for a saddle just because it is the last piece of the puzzle to complete the perfect picture of a bike versus whether or not that same saddle fits your rear end, is the kind of thing that I’m referring to. I’m not saying that that is what the PM is doing; it is something that I have been guilty of in the past and have decided that if the bike works well as a bike, that is good enough for me to appreciate.

I apologize in advance for this.
No apologies needed. We are all guilty.
I think there's a quote somewhere about "vanity is thy name..." or something.

Note the Nitto stem on the Trofeo. I've actually gotten feedback about that.

The owner's last name is D'Italia, and she wanted all Italian.
So far, she thinks Nitto is Italian. I'm leaving it at that.
I suppose I could remedy that last bit, but I won't. She loves the bike.

The idea of re-doing the entire bar, wrap, etc, or at least half of it, to change to an Italian stem?
Well, not part of my volunteer labor on the bike. I mean, she's hot, but not that hot.
Old 12-07-11, 08:58 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by shopgirl
I guess this is as good of a place as any to post my mini-rant about aesthetics versus function...
I can appreciate this sentiment. I'm not the sort of person who can really afford to spend a lot of money on high-end NOS bikes and parts, as much as I would like to (and despite the fact that I occasionally do it anyway). That being said, I want to say that I also appreciate other bike nuts who can do so, and who then post pictures on here.
+<some big number>

Back when I was a poor starving teacher or grad student my bikes were whatever I could afford, subject to what worked. Same with the upgrades. Today I choose the saddle based on what has proven comfortable for long rides. And I sure wouldn't choose white, because I just know it would soon show dirt. But otherwise, aesthetics matter if they don't get in the way.

Which brings me to the point here, and also back the OP's point. The toy build I'm working on is a Bianchi Brava, '89, black with celeste lettering. The only aesthetic items I can play with easily are cabling and bar tape. The saddle will be black, rules or no. The rims will be dark Mavic MA40, the crank probably the VO compact double. Celeste cabling and bar tape doesn't appeal even if it would match the frame's decals. I'm considering perhaps maybe possibly cranberry if I can find anything like that. But what one pictures in one's mind can often end up very different in the flesh. So yea or nay?
Old 12-07-11, 09:03 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
+<some big number>

Back when I was a poor starving teacher or grad student my bikes were whatever I could afford, subject to what worked. Same with the upgrades. Today I choose the saddle based on what has proven comfortable for long rides. And I sure wouldn't choose white, because I just know it would soon show dirt. But otherwise, aesthetics matter if they don't get in the way.

Which brings me to the point here, and also back the OP's point. The toy build I'm working on is a Bianchi Brava, '89, black with celeste lettering. The only aesthetic items I can play with easily are cabling and bar tape. The saddle will be black, rules or no. The rims will be dark Mavic MA40, the crank probably the VO compact double. Celeste cabling and bar tape doesn't appeal even if it would match the frame's decals. I'm considering perhaps maybe possibly cranberry if I can find anything like that. But what one pictures in one's mind can often end up very different in the flesh. So yea or nay?
I'd go with black saddle, black tape, and black housing. I like to ditz around with my bikes as much as most, but sometimes simple is best.
Old 12-07-11, 09:48 AM
Preynmantis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
The idea of re-doing the entire bar, wrap, etc, or at least half of it, to change to an Italian stem?
Well, not part of my volunteer labor on the bike. I mean, she's hot, but not that hot.
Funny

Reminds me of my projects for SWMBO
Old 12-07-11, 10:15 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,398 Times in 2,093 Posts
I realize that this may be hierarchy to some, and I’m not trying to offend anyone, but paying $60 for a saddle just because it is the last piece of the puzzle to complete the perfect picture of a bike versus whether or not that same saddle fits your rear end, is the kind of thing that I’m referring to. I’m not saying that that is what the PM is doing; it is something that I have been guilty of in the past and have decided that if the bike works well as a bike, that is good enough for me to appreciate.
You mean I'm not allowed to use Brooks Professionals anymore, even though they're more comfortable than anything else I've ridden?

The best looking components for a build are sometimes the parts you like to use in the first place.

-Kurt

Old 12-07-11, 06:27 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
You mean I'm not allowed to use Brooks Professionals anymore, even though they're more comfortable than anything else I've ridden?

-Kurt
That's right. Turn in your badge. Box up the saddles. You have my address. And don't let it happen again.
Old 12-07-11, 06:47 PM
Snydermann
Lotus Monomaniac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
ANY bike can have a black saddle. But how many bikes can rock a celeste saddle and get away with it?

Do you want to fall in with the lemmings or stand out and be cool?

If I had a celeste Bianchi I'd be wearing celeste colored sunscreen when I rode it.
Old 12-07-11, 10:32 PM
rothenfield1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, I don’t want to be like that Preacher who, after having been caught with his pants down, preached: “Do as I say, not as I do”. Bad metaphor I know, but I’m as guilty as anyone. I remember spending some ridiculous amount on a Campy seat binder bolt because I was obsessing over making that particular bike as perfect to original as possible. That was over a year ago when I sold all my expensive bikes, just barely breaking even, and started rebuilding kid’s bikes and junk yard stuff and reselling them for cost. Yes, of course, I’m more righteous then ya’lls , but that aside, in this particular case, I felt like the PM was on the same slippery slope as I’d been down, and I happen to think that black saddle, cable housing, and bar tape looks tough on a celeste.

BTW, don't stop your obsessive search for perfection C&V. Me likes da bling.

Last edited by rothenfield1; 12-07-11 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-07-11, 10:45 PM
rothenfield1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, I might as well post, for the last time, the bike that started pulling me willingly down the Italian rabbit hole, Lord I loved that bike:

Last edited by rothenfield1; 12-08-11 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-08-11, 01:41 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,398 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckk
The Taiwanese Bianchi saddles are a steel wedgie, but sometimes you just have to suffer for your art (and swap out when a long ride is in the cards).

Black handlebar stem and seatpost flutes trimmed in black - there's another twist on a conventional theme. It makes the Celeste stand out better than with a polished combo.

-Kurt

Old 12-12-11, 08:50 AM
vincev

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To some it may be too much Celeste but I like it and thats all that matters.Do what makes YOU enjoy your bike.Always remember opinions are like a..holes:everyone has one.