Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Best budget 26" tire?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Best budget 26" tire?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-20, 06:15 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Best budget 26" tire?

I recently picked up an early 90's Univega Alpina Comp, and I was hoping to reuse the tires on it to keep to a tight budget. However, I discovered that while the rear tire is fine, the front is shredded. It's currently running Bontrager Connection Trail 26x2.

I'd like to continue to have a matched set, but I'm not sure I want to buy a new Bontrager Connection Trail.

I'm new to mountain biking, and I am planning to initiate myself on a nearby trail that is described as not too difficult: https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/411...ial-bike-trail

Any recommendations that won't break the bank and would offer good traction and ride? I'm honestly starting from zero here, so any insights are welcome.
Old 01-08-20, 06:28 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 2,964 Times in 1,494 Posts
26'r tires

cheaper to by 2 here; https://www.nashbar.com/forte-dartmo...026-20/p927916

good selection here w/free US shipping;https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/collections/tires-tubes/products/continental-mountain-king-tire-26-x-2-3-clincher-folding-black-shieldwall
Old 01-08-20, 07:20 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Thank you!
Old 01-08-20, 09:13 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Kenda makes a variety of decent tires your size from about $20 -$30. They came stock on my 2018 Giant Sedona. I had planned on replacing them with better tires, But they proved to be a very well ballanced tire. Good traction on and off road, good ride, speed and durability

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 01-08-20 at 09:16 PM.
Likes For xroadcharlie:
Old 01-09-20, 02:54 PM
eshew

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 29 Posts
https://blueskycycling.com/products/...y-1-get-1-free

$18 for the pair can't beat the price.

Kenda Brian Lopes El Moco DTC 26x2.1 folding

Likes For eshew:
Old 01-10-20, 11:34 AM
bikeme

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Whatever brand you get, I see you're in NorCal. I'd look for a tighter-patterned, small block tread like a Kenda Small Block 8, or a Slant 6. Or in Maxxis brand, a Crossmark, or a Ikon. Bontrager would be a XR2 or XR3. Wirebead is fine, unless you see a kevlar/folding one for real cheap. FYI, that El Moco is an aggressive mud tire and it will not roll easily. You'll be on hardpack, mostly dry, maybe with some forest loam hence smaller, tight center knobs for easy rolling yet good side knobs for cornering.
Likes For bikeme:
Old 01-10-20, 01:27 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
If you are riding hardpack, bikeme's suggestion is on point. If riding hardpack, a tire with tighter spacing would be better. I ride hardpack and am using Hutchinson Python's-which are not inexpensive, but the Nashbar tires mentioned earlier look decent. I also have tires for looser soil/mud conditions, Kenda Nevegals, and while they are good for loose stuff, not as good as the Pythons for hardpack. Might even try those Nashbar tires when my Pythons wear out, if hardpack is still the main type of trail I'm riding.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 01-10-20, 04:32 PM
grubetown

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Go into your LBS and make a ridiculous offer for whatever 26" tire they still might have collecting dust on their shelves
Likes For grubetown:
Old 01-10-20, 04:34 PM
noobinsf 

I'm looking now at a used pair of Bontrager LT3's that will likely fit the bill. I really appreciate everyone's advice, especially the notes about likely encountering hardpack, which I think does reflect the terrain near me.

There is also a used pair of Specialized Fast Trak LK near me. Would these two be comparable, do you think, or is one clearly better?
Old 01-10-20, 04:43 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I've not ridden on either of the tires you mentioned, but chances are that any tire with characteristics geared toward hardpack trails will be fine. You say you are new, so unless you went with a really lousy tire (and the ones discussed so far are fine), you'll be ok with them.
Old 01-11-20, 03:57 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by eshew
https://blueskycycling.com/products/...y-1-get-1-free

$18 for the pair can't beat the price.

Kenda Brian Lopes El Moco DTC 26x2.1 folding

If your focus is going to be trail riding (vs some trail and a bunch of pavement), would jump on that ASAP. These would be my preference by a wide margin over anything else suggested or mentioned in this thread so far. I live on the East Coast now, but lived and MTBed in Nor Cal for several years, and this would be my choice there as well.

Not only is the tread totally appropriate, but those are folding bead tires (as opposed to wire bead) and therefore lighter.

For that price it would be a no-brainer if you are trying to keep this dirt cheap.

If you want tires for actual mountain biking, get mtb tires with real treads. Don’t waste you time with hybrid tires.

Tires like the Small Block Eight (SB8) and Fast Track are OK for the rear (though personally I like something with more tread), but I think they are not good for the front.

On the othet hand, if you use the same bike for a lot of paved roads, this will likely wear out fast.
Old 01-11-20, 07:03 PM
noobinsf 

Originally Posted by Kapusta
If your focus is going to be trail riding (vs some trail and a bunch of pavement), would jump on that ASAP. These would be my preference by a wide margin over anything else suggested or mentioned in this thread so far. I live on the East Coast now, but lived and MTBed in Nor Cal for several years, and this would be my choice there as well.

Not only is the tread totally appropriate, but those are folding bead tires (as opposed to wire bead) and therefore lighter.

For that price it would be a no-brainer if you are trying to keep this dirt cheap.

If you want tires for actual mountain biking, get mtb tires with real treads. Don’t waste you time with hybrid tires.

Tires like the Small Block Eight (SB8) and Fast Track are OK for the rear (though personally I like something with more tread), but I think they are not good for the front.

On the othet hand, if you use the same bike for a lot of paved roads, this will likely wear out fast.
You know, I looked at those, and the shipping made me hesitate. It’s funny you should mention the Kenda Small Block, because I found a used pair with minimal wear that were local and cheap. I think they’ll be perfect to get me started, based on the reviews I’ve seen.
Old 01-11-20, 07:58 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by noobinsf
You know, I looked at those, and the shipping made me hesitate. It’s funny you should mention the Kenda Small Block, because I found a used pair with minimal wear that were local and cheap. I think they’ll be perfect to get me started, based on the reviews I’ve seen.
Keep in mind when you read reviews that they are based on expectations being met. People buying SB8s are lookibg for a minimal tread, super fast tire. Expectations for grip are minimal.

Why as a beginner you would sacrifice grip and control for the sake of speed makes little sense to me.

If you really want to try an SB8, I would suggest do so for the rear. I know you said you would like a matching set, but there is zero reason to do that, and good reasons not to.
Old 01-11-20, 08:44 PM
noobinsf 

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Keep in mind when you read reviews that they are based on expectations being met. People buying SB8s are lookibg for a minimal tread, super fast tire. Expectations for grip are minimal.

Why as a beginner you would sacrifice grip and control for the sake of speed makes little sense to me.

If you really want to try an SB8, I would suggest do so for the rear. I know you said you would like a matching set, but there is zero reason to do that, and good reasons not to.
I appreciate the feedback — what are your thoughts on the Connection Trail, of which I still have one functional tire? Is that something you’d consider more appropriate for a front tire?

I guess the upshot is that I have a cheap pair of tires and a spare with different tread, and because I have the tools and tinkering impulse and a trail nearby, I can experiment.
Old 01-13-20, 09:09 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I appreciate the feedback — what are your thoughts on the Connection Trail, of which I still have one functional tire? Is that something you’d consider more appropriate for a front tire?

I guess the upshot is that I have a cheap pair of tires and a spare with different tread, and because I have the tools and tinkering impulse and a trail nearby, I can experiment.
The Connection Trail are hybrid tires, not real mtb tires. If I was forced to run one of those, I guess I would put it on the rear where it would cause fewer problems.

Honestly, if the choice is the connection trail or SB8s, I would go with the latter But really, I think this is a comparison of lousy vs terrible. But if your budget is so low that you are balking a a set of tires selling for $9 a piece (which is practically free considering it is a legit MTB tire) you are really scraping the bottom of the barrel, and can’t be too choosy.

For some context, top of the line mtb tires (standard, not fat tires) run $50-75 per tire. These will have folding beads, fancy casing construction that is lighter tough and flexible (faster rolling and smoother), and multiple tread compounds (such as the DTC which is harder down the middle and softer on the sides)

New “budget” mtb tires (wire bead, single compound, standard casings) will run more like $30-40. These are no frills tires, but legit options for a budget MTB. In many cases, these are the same tread design as the more expensive tires, and look the same at first glance.

Get down to $20 and these are the hybrid tires that are heavy, harsh, and not really intended for primarily off road use.

Of course there are occasionally blow out deals on any of these.

If you budget is under $9 per tire.... just make sure they hold air.
Old 01-19-20, 01:07 AM
rudymexico

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 1 Post
Tried myself to get this Kenda Lopes tires but do not show on the link.
Which ones did you choose ?
looking for budget tires also
Old 01-20-20, 11:58 AM
noobinsf 

Originally Posted by rudymexico
Tried myself to get this Kenda Lopes tires but do not show on the link. Which ones did you choose ? looking for budget tires also
I ended up with a used set of Kenda Small Block 8's that were $20 for the pair. The bike for which I bought them is a current project and a full tear-down/rebuild, so it will be a little while before I have a chance to try them out. They're just to get me started on a nearby hard pack trail, so my bar is not that high for now.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 01-20-20, 01:06 PM
bikeme

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
I ended up with a used set of Kenda Small Block 8's that were $20 for the pair. The bike for which I bought them is a current project and a full tear-down/rebuild, so it will be a little while before I have a chance to try them out. They're just to get me started on a nearby hard pack trail, so my bar is not that high for now.
Glad you found something. FYI, I never run a tire on the back with more grip and/or tread than the front. Doing so may allow the front tire to break free first, sending you to the ground. Either run matching tires or a lesser tread in rear. Many folks do the latter to save climbing weight and to allow the back end to slide around turns a bit. A little rear tire slide is ok, front tire slide, no.
Likes For bikeme:
Old 01-20-20, 05:01 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Or also another fyi for the future, try running a wider tire up front. I do that one my main mtb's.
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 01-20-20, 05:56 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
Or also another fyi for the future, try running a wider tire up front. I do that one my main mtb's.
i do that on my 26er

i like it very much
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 01-20-20, 06:45 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
The Redwood loop is a fairly wide fire road, not too technical. You'll do fine on less aggressive tires. Got a picture of your project?
Old 01-21-20, 01:56 AM
noobinsf 

Originally Posted by curbtender
The Redwood loop is a fairly wide fire road, not too technical. You'll do fine on less aggressive tires. Got a picture of your project?
Thanks for the advice! I’m actually documenting the overhaul here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...arly-90-s.html