Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rides new Waikoloa (Big Island)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-03-20, 07:21 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts

Visiting Waikoloa for a week, looking for suggestions where to ride (30-50 -miles, 2,000 - 4,000' climbing). Would prefer to ride with a group, if one exists in my area, or else solo.

Thank you,
Robert
Old 01-03-20, 08:21 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
That side of the island is quite possibly my most cherished place on earth. Have fun!!
Old 01-03-20, 08:32 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
That side of the island is quite possibly my most cherished place on earth. Have fun!!
What do you think of this route?

Old 01-04-20, 12:35 AM
bpcyclist

My take. It'll steal your breath--in more ways than one. Try to do it on a clear day, if at all possible . Sometimes they are kind of up in the clouds up that way and you will miss some of the whole reason for being on 250 in the first place if you go when it's all socked in--the views. It really is a very unique way and place from which to see the volcanoes, so def., a clear day is a must. I have a pal who said he once saw Haleakala from up there, but I cannot say I have experienced that, myself. But maybe you'll get lucky. As you no doubt know, the Kona Coast area has the most sunny days annually in all of the state, or so they market it, so you have a good chance of finding yourselves some nice sunshine.

Now, a tiny bit of politics--sorry. I see where you live and you can see where I live and we are both cyclists and you know, there are a lot of vegan cyclists in our two cities (yes, me, too). Certainly not throwing my world view at anybody, but that ride up on 250 is serious cattle ranch country. Parker Ranch is absolutely ginormous. So, you should probably prepare any sensitive types of your group, if you have any hardcore vegans, that you will be seeing a lot of that along the route. Personally no issue for me, but everyone is their own person. Just thought you might should know.

Obviously, people on the island are quite accustomed to coexisting with cyclists, but if you haven't been there before, that part from Waikoloa to Hawi, people do sometimes drive pretty darn fast. Actually almost got into a car accident there once with another maniac driver on meth. If any of your group have never ridden on a highway situation, it could be a bit intimidating, though traffic by SoCal standards, will be a joke. Lastly, the road down from Waimea will be a blast, but it can get quite trafficky, believe it or not. People sometimes drive too fast. It is super curvy in spots and the shoulder when I was last there sucked in parts and was pretty good in parts. You may have to take the lane at times. No prob. for a bunch of seasoned LA people.

Gotta gotta take cameras. You'll get some shots that will last a lifetime. Also, remember where you are. There will be absolutely noone and no place to help you while you guys are out on the road. Bring everything you might need, just in case. Last thing. No clue how many of your group this will be their first time to the Big Island. I flew internationally for travel and always sat in aisle seats if I could not tragically use miles to upgrade to the front. The flight from Honolulu to Kona is one of the few that I would pay to sit in a window seat every single time because the approach and landing to the Kona airstrip is pretty darn unique. The airfield is built on a huge lava field and it is kind of like landing on another planet. At least to me. Super-cool.

Be safe. Have an awesome time!!!!
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 01-05-20, 06:52 AM
Mosyosalyangoz
Road Cyclist

Bikes: Corelli Kr 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Waikoloa roads is wonderful. i wait photos.
Old 01-06-20, 12:36 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I visited there a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I rented a Roubaix from BikeWorks in Waikoloa https://www.bikeworkshawaii.com and they were affordable and easy to work with. They even hosted a shop ride one day that was lots of fun.

Check out a few of my Strava rides for pics and routs I worked out while there, maybe they'll help you?
https://www.strava.com/activities/574148241
https://www.strava.com/activities/575033444
https://www.strava.com/activities/578592836
https://www.strava.com/activities/579472675
https://www.strava.com/activities/580666639

Obviously, I chickened out on the big ride up Mauna Kea.. I was woefully unprepared with regards to water, equipment, clothing, and the desire to destroy myself for the rest of my vacation with the effort it would have taken to get up to the ranger station/visitor center (whatever.) It was still a beautiful ride and I'd do it again.

Have a great time and be sure to visit Captain Cook Bay (specifically, Nāpō’opo’o Pier) for some of the best snorkeling in the world, IMHO.
Likes For goenrdoug:
Old 01-06-20, 01:17 PM
Smitty2k1

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
That corner of the island is so nice and unique. Was blown away by the diversity of the topography of the Big Island when I went a few years back. Would love to go back and do some cycling.
Likes For Smitty2k1:
Old 01-06-20, 03:27 PM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by Smitty2k1
That corner of the island is so nice and unique. Was blown away by the diversity of the topography of the Big Island when I went a few years back. Would love to go back and do some cycling.
While I love Oregon, which is in parts anyway, kind of like a way, way, way colder Hawaii, I would move otothe Big Island were it not for my kids all being here. Oh, that and the small issue of real estate prices...
Old 01-06-20, 05:05 PM
Mayday328

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Contact Big Island Bike Tours. They can set you up with a rental and give you several route options on the island. They were fantastic to work with when I did some riding there a couple of years ago.