Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Buying at LBS a Brand they Don't Carry

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Buying at LBS a Brand they Don't Carry

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-20, 11:12 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Which probably says more about the differences between bicycling and those other activities than it does about the "secret" marketing agendas of whoever it's supposed to be.

You get a lot of people trying biking again after not having done it since they were 16. It's a very low barrier to entry activity. People don't just pick up an RV at a garage sale and start using it, or pull the motorcycle out of the basement after 15 years of gathering dust and rust. The nature of bicycling is such that it has a disproportionate number of people at any given time that are basically beginners.
Firearms, small boat and kayak social media sites draw their fair share of noobs. I'll readily admit that it's a fault of mine, but I have a hard time taking it seriously when someone asks if the hole in the rifle barrel goes against the shoulder or faces the target. Or when someone asks me what their kayak shop's business practices are.
Old 01-17-20, 01:08 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Putting My Friendship Where My Mouth Is/Was...

I don't know about trolls, or bots or cans of spam, but I do know when it's time to spring into action!!! Maybe @friendlyguy1234 just needs someone kind to reach out to him from our big tent bicycling community.

So, I've officially sent him a friend request. Who knows, maybe someday we can order matching bikes from an LBS together.

I invite everyone to do this. Let's see if he can get up to 100 BF friends!
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 01-17-20, 01:20 PM
u235

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
My local hardware store does not carry a certain shovel, can they order it?
Joking aside.. The only hardware store within 15 miles of my house just went out of business... Maybe I should have asked last year.

Last edited by u235; 01-17-20 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-17-20, 01:26 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
My local hardware store does not carry a certain shovel, can they order it?
Joking aside.. The only hardware store within 15 miles of my house just went out of business... Maybe I should have asked last year.
If they had sold one more special order shovel last year they could have stayed open!
Old 01-17-20, 02:21 PM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Bikes: Felt FC (SRAM Red), Nashbar Carbon (SRAM Red), Felt BR2 (SRAM Red), Salsa El Mariachi 29'er - solid steel, Peugeot PX-10 1972

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
So, I've officially sent him a friend request. Who knows, maybe someday we can order matching bikes from an LBS together.

I invite everyone to do this. Let's see if he can get up to 100 BF friends!
I can't. I live by the Rush song "Limelight" : "I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend". It's a lonely life, but at least I don't have a house full of "Johnny Come Lately's"drinking all my beer.
Old 01-17-20, 02:41 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz

Maybe he'll become your BF BFF.
Old 01-17-20, 02:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by tgenec86
I live by the Rush song...
One of the most overrated bands in rock history, if not the most. Followed closely by Led Zeppelin.
Old 01-17-20, 03:10 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by indyfabz
One of the most overrated bands in rock history, if not the most. Followed closely by Led Zeppelin.

How dare you. What's next, running down Titanium bikes?
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 01-17-20, 03:17 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Almost that entire generation of music is wildly overrated because of the disproportionate chunk of population that grew up with it. Don't tell the sheriff I said that...
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 01-17-20, 04:10 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 232 Posts
Can't you determine size by another brand? After all, 54cm is 54cm.

Then ask the LBS to order the frame, or order it yourself with the understanding that you will buy all the parts from the LBS and have them do the buildup. Everything. Why is that not a win for everyone?
Old 01-17-20, 05:03 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
For the same reason you can't tell if a specific size of one piece of clothing apparel or shoes or bicycle helmet will fit the same as another piece from another brand even when marked as the same size. Different lines of clothing with the same size designation even from a single manufacturer or brand may not fit the same. That is why dressing rooms are in stores and we try on shoes even when we know our correct size.
Old 01-17-20, 05:29 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
My 58cm Ritchey is larger in every dimension than the 61cm KHS frame it replaced. Bicycle frame sizing is almost random.
Old 01-17-20, 07:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

Then ask the LBS to order the frame, or order it yourself with the understanding that you will buy all the parts from the LBS and have them do the buildup. Everything. Why is that not a win for everyone?

My two go-to bikes are a 52 cm and a 56 cm respectively. They both fit me perfectly.
Old 01-17-20, 07:45 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
So who do you think are the most underrated bands?
Old 01-17-20, 07:52 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bad Advice.
Old 01-17-20, 07:54 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Underrated bands could easily fill an entire thread. Speaking for myself, and recognizing that at least for the moment this thread is wandering, I'll throw Primus out there.
Old 01-17-20, 08:04 PM
Rogerogeroge

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
There's an important distinction between whether or not a shop stocks an item and whether or not they carry an item.

Pretty much every LBS out there buys from the same pool of distributors-- QBP, KHS, Hawley, etc. If a distributor has it, they can get it.

Full bikes are the exception, because there are dealer contracts in place for all of the big names-- Giant, Trek, Specialized, etc.

Trek is only sold through Trek stores, Specialized often has exclusivity contracts as well (they will only be sold at shop that don't carry certain brands.)

But if the OP is looking for something less mainstream, like even say a Colnago or a Masi, there's a fair chance the shop can get it and just doesn't stock it.

I bought my Cervelo at my LBS and they don't regularly stock Cervelo.
Originally Posted by billyymc
Surly is a QBP owned brand, as are All-City and Salsa to name a couple others. I believe, but could be wrong, that any shop dealing with QBP (i.e. - any shop) can get you QBP brand bikes. They may not have them to demo though.
These are the two most accurate statements that are bike related in this entire thread. I will say that QBP started signing exclusitivity (?) contracts with bike shops for Salsa bikes in the last couple of years. But Surly and others are still house brands that they'll sell to any LBS.
There are probably a bit more than half a dozen bike shops in my city, and our market isn't big enough for one shop to carry more than one major brand - Spec/Trek/C-Dale/Giant are each sold at four different shops. Those shops may each carry an additional smaller line but those manufacturers are split up as well, e.g., only one will carry Orbea. The rest of the shops get smaller pickings.
Old 01-18-20, 04:58 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I’m all for supporting the LBS’s but if they don’t carry what I’m looking for then it doesn’t make sense. It’s faster and often cheaper to just order it online.
Old 01-18-20, 08:25 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
For a successful LBS, there seems to be either of 2 strategies: 1) align with just one of the big brands (Trek, Spesh, Giant) or offer anything and everything else (one online example is racycles.com)
Old 01-18-20, 08:32 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
Bad Advice.
Ok, I understand.

But if the published measurement is listed as, for example, center-to-center, would that not be the same? Sure, sloping top tube vs straight, race vs tour geometry etc., but I would think that a good shop could help with that.

If someone has determined that they want a specific frame, it is probably not because of perfect fit; it's probably because it is a bike that they have lusted for......for a long time. Adjust the seat and stem and off you go. Otherwise, have your LBS sell you a bike that fits you, not one that you dream about.
Old 01-20-20, 12:56 PM
Three Spires

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
First, I have on more than one occasion, started accounts on internet fora to ask a question or getr involved in a discussion, and then forgotten that I had the account a week later.
Hey, that's me! I just looked at my profile and saw I registered here 9 years ago and have a grand total of two prior posts,

However, I browse Bike Forums from time to time, prompted by summary emails I receive, or searching for a discussion of some topic of interest. So I would appear to be an unregistered guest simply because I'm not logged in.

I'm usually here to learn and with little expertise of my own to add, I have no reason to post.

Better to say nothing and be suspected a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
Old 01-20-20, 01:08 PM
kastigar

Bikes: Trek 7.2FX and a Trek 720, hybrid modified for road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by friendlyguy1234
I am looking to buy a new bike and have chosen the bike that I want. There is an LBS that I want to support near me and I want to order the bike through them, but they aren't an official dealer of that brand. Can I still order that bike through them? Many thanks in advance!
I went to an LBS that did carry the unusual brand that I wanted. However, the didn't have the frame/size I wanted and said I would need to pay shipping for them to order it. I'm still deciding what to do; I haven't talked to the shop owner.
Old 01-20-20, 01:32 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by kastigar
I went to an LBS that did carry the unusual brand that I wanted. However, the didn't have the frame/size I wanted and said I would need to pay shipping for them to order it. I'm still deciding what to do; I haven't talked to the shop owner.
I would tell them to pound sand if they are a regular dealer of a brand but want to charge you shipping for buying something in that brand. Often dealers sell a few % off of MSRP, and a special order might not get this discount, but don't try to charge me extra for bringing in something you should have on the sales floor. That's right up there with 'dealer prep fee' when buying a car - a special fee to pay for the privilege of buying from them? If they can't do it for MSRP then they have problems.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 01-20-20, 04:31 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
I really needed a good laugh today. Thank you everyone!

We're still on page 3!

Old 01-20-20, 07:34 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by travbikeman
I really needed a good laugh today. Thank you everyone!

We're still on page 3!

Don't give up BF Family. I know there are four pages in this one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.