Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Vitus Venon with Vision team 30 through axle question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-20, 02:31 PM
Fillip

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just bought online a new 142mm x 12mm rear wheel to replace the Vision team 30 Disc on my Vitus Venon.

The Venon's specs says it has a 142mm x 12mm rear axle. However, when I went to fit the new wheel I found a couple of problems. 1: The drop outs only accept a 10mm skewer and are slightly narrower than 142mm. 2: The Vision wheel is 12mm through but has 2 adapters at each end that narrow the diameter to 10mm and widen the hub from 135mm to 142mm.

Has anyone else come across this before? Can I get wider drop outs for the frame or should I drill them out to 12mm? The other problem is the narrowness between the dropouts means the disc calliper rubs and cannot be adjusted out enough to allow the wheel to spin.

My other option might be to buy a 135mm wheel and keep the old Vision skewer and adapters. I can't find any 10mm x 142mm skewers in my searches...

​​​​​​

​​​​

Old 01-18-20, 03:22 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Contact the manf. and see if they have a 10mm adapter. If they make a 12mm, not much reason to not have a 10.
ELSE, maybe have a machinist turn down the 12's to 10. Likely prohibitively expensive unless you have a friend....