Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road Etiquette Question: Hopping on a stranger's wheel?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Road Etiquette Question: Hopping on a stranger's wheel?

Old 02-18-18, 07:50 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The only time I care is when I'm riding fixed gear.

Roadies generally don't understand how fixed gear bikes need to be ridden and it can be unsafe.

The inability to shift means that I have to spin up cadence earlier than a geared bike and this often induces a roadie to shift, accelerate and ride up my back wheel. The same goes for standing - I can't shift and sometimes need to stand instead. If a roadie isn't expecting this then the momentary hesitation AKA "drop kick" will often cause a roadie to ride up my back wheel. Braking down hill is the same.

Riders of geared bikes, in general, misundertand what I am doing and think I am riding more aggressively than I am.

-Tim-
Old 02-18-18, 09:31 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 2322 Post(s)
Liked 4,925 Times in 1,760 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
While I’d never considered it, if my earbuds act as a deterrent against people riding near me, awesome. But then again, if you have to rely on a draft to maintain your pace, you’re not catching up to me anyway.
+100 I'm out there for myself and my own effort. Don't really want a stranger on my back wheel whether the danger is his or not. If I accept it then I'm obligated ( I feel) to point out hazards and such. I ride the same base out and know every single hole and am always dancing around them. I'd rather pay attention to my line then worry about what's going on with some yokel behind me. That said, I always pull the earbuds in passing or if someone is closing fast behind me. I say hi and I also want to be able to hear in case there's any problem.

But yeah, I'm a big fan of riding alone so I think I'll keep my earbuds in.
Old 02-19-18, 09:45 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
The earbuds as a warn-off wouldn't actually work in these parts. Someone caught my wheel last week on a commute, while I was wearing sweats, no helmet, bag on the rack ... not a likely look for a roadie. First time in many months (I'm not exactly fast on that bike)

It seemed to me that when I signaled slowing when he was 5 or 6 bike lengths back that he took it as an OK to close and draft. Which, from my perspective maybe that's all the etiquette needed as long as the drafting cyclist follows the signals and knows enough to stay a bit back from a fixed gear.
Old 02-19-18, 10:25 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
It seems we need a little red or green card to clip onto our seat post to signal "available" or "not available" for a tow.

Similar to a wedding ring.
Old 02-19-18, 11:13 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I don't know about ear buds.

A guy had money hanging out of his open pocket. I rode right next to him, waved and shouted and he wouldn't even look at me because of his buds, completely oblivious to his surroundings. Finally had to tap him on the shoulder and it startled him so that I thought he was going to fall off his bike.
Old 02-19-18, 11:18 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I don't know about ear buds.

A guy had money hanging out of his open pocket. I rode right next to him, waved and shouted and he wouldn't even look at me because of his buds, completely oblivious to his surroundings. Finally had to tap him on the shoulder and it startled him so that I thought he was going to fall off his bike.
Many would take that as a signal to draft him
Old 02-19-18, 09:34 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
The only time I care is when I'm riding fixed gear.

Roadies generally don't understand how fixed gear bikes need to be ridden and it can be unsafe.

The inability to shift means that I have to spin up cadence earlier than a geared bike and this often induces a roadie to shift, accelerate and ride up my back wheel. The same goes for standing - I can't shift and sometimes need to stand instead. If a roadie isn't expecting this then the momentary hesitation AKA "drop kick" will often cause a roadie to ride up my back wheel. Braking down hill is the same.

Riders of geared bikes, in general, misundertand what I am doing and think I am riding more aggressively than I am.

-Tim-
I have done a fair bit of fixed gear riding in bunches on the road. Never had an issue with geared bike riders sitting on my wheel. They actually seem more than happy to do it alot.
Old 02-19-18, 10:47 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
We're going to yell at you.
Old 02-20-18, 04:11 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio
We're going to yell at you.
And then we're going to grab you by the arm and forcefully eject you from drafting us.
Old 02-20-18, 10:41 AM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Originally Posted by atwl77
And then we're going to grab you by the arm and forcefully eject you from drafting us.
It's amazing to me (having been largely absent from this section of the forum for the past 7 or 8 years) that people still know what I'm talking about.
Old 02-20-18, 10:50 AM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I personally hate it when someone I don't know hops on my wheel. I've done everything from slowing down to >10 mph (and he still stayed there....but then again he was glued to my rear wheel for 5-6 miles prior to this as well), wait for a climb to drop them, or blowing snot rockets and spitting off to the side. I also have a habit of not calling out road debris or potholes in these situations as well.
Old 02-20-18, 10:57 AM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

I don't care. I don't make a habit out of taking stranger's wheels outside of races but if they've been on my wheel for a mile or so I'll stop in for a breather.

If someone's on your rear wheel and you have decent bike handling skills, nothing they do should really affect you. They're the ones taking the risk.
Old 02-20-18, 01:48 PM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarWizard
I also have a habit of not calling out road debris or potholes in these situations as well.
You would purposely jeopardize another cyclist's safety because you don't like him or her riding behind you?
Old 02-20-18, 02:02 PM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pickettt
You would purposely jeopardize another cyclist's safety because you don't like him or her riding behind you?
It depends - if it's really dangerous (like a deep rut or hole, a rattlesnake sunning itself or massive rocks in the road) that would cause a crash, then no.
Old 02-20-18, 06:58 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Regardless of whether there is anything wrong with it, if a rider doesn't like it, there's no reason to let it cause anxiety, or worry about what to say or how to send a signal. Don't be subtle, just pull over and stop for a second. One might think: why should I have to...? Well, because it bothers YOU, and you can't control the situation by merely dropping hints; also there are probably no cops around to make him stop. Besides, if the wheelsucker asks "is everything Ok?" one could say "yes, thank you, now that you're off my tail."
Old 02-20-18, 08:51 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Any stranger tries to get up on my wheel is gonna get brake checked.
Old 02-20-18, 09:15 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Has anyone been keeping score so far between the "what's the big deal" vs. "no frickin way" teams?
Old 02-20-18, 09:39 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
If you just ride there is little to no risk to you. Brake check and there's a reasonable chance the rider will destroy your rear derailleur.

If you want to hurt him, better to let him pass and punch him in the face as he goes past or slow down a little and sweep across his front wheel as soon as he overlaps.
Old 02-20-18, 09:42 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
Nope, just not OK. If someone wants to ride my wheel they need to ask or be invited. I don't necessarily mind it when they do but there are also times I'm riding solo for a reason. If I don't want them there, my trick is to lurch left or right and then take off even faster. When they're out on their own they won't catch me. I'm not the strongest rider in the world for sure, but for the rider behind me it is like hitting a wall unexpectedly whereas I'm just dialing it up by a mph or two. I should add that this was true for me about 10 years ago. Nobody takes my wheel like that because I'm just not that fast anymore at 63. Still fast for my age, but let's be real.
Old 02-21-18, 04:59 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
So ... those of you who don't mind or think it is OK for someone to come up behind you and ride right close to your wheel unannounced ....

I take it then that you don't mind when someone comes up behind you when you're walking and walks close enough to touch you ... when there's no reason to do so.

Maybe it's a female thing but these two are pretty much equal in creepiness.

And, when walking, I have walked into a shop or stopped at a bus stop or something to see if the person will keep going.

When cycling, sometimes I have turned off or stopped to "take a picture" or something.
Old 02-21-18, 05:15 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zacster
Nope, just not OK. If someone wants to ride my wheel they need to ask or be invited. I don't necessarily mind it when they do but there are also times I'm riding solo for a reason. If I don't want them there, my trick is to lurch left or right and then take off even faster. When they're out on their own they won't catch me.
No doubt: decisive lateral separation is the key to either alternative - pulling over (as if) to stop or breaking away. There's no guarantee, but if you're riding on the shoulder and can swerve into the middle of the road to take off, that should do the trick. Even if it doesn't work, at least it's pro.
Old 02-21-18, 05:22 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Sometimes its crowded.

Old 02-21-18, 05:24 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
So ... those of you who don't mind or think it is OK for someone to come up behind you and ride right close to your wheel unannounced ....

I take it then that you don't mind when someone comes up behind you when you're walking and walks close enough to touch you ... when there's no reason to do so.

Maybe it's a female thing but these two are pretty much equal in creepiness.

And, when walking, I have walked into a shop or stopped at a bus stop or something to see if the person will keep going.

When cycling, sometimes I have turned off or stopped to "take a picture" or something.
I do think for a female there is more of a creepy feeling to it.

However, I don't think walking down the street and riding a road bike down the road are really equal things. To me, it feels more like if someone joined me when I was shooting some hoops alone at the park. Kind of a like a come play together thing.

Of course, it's better to announce oneself even if you're only on the when until you can pass. BTW, apparently my announcement in Japanese was creepy as I learned when I told my wife...
Old 02-21-18, 09:18 AM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
As another poster mentioned, the recommended way to assault someone without making it obvious is to wait until they're overlapped and swerve over.
Old 02-21-18, 01:47 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
My $0.02, I don't like when someone goes on my wheel for an extended time without saying anything. However, I don't care enough to do anything about it. In the grand scheme of things, it's fairly minor IMO. Having said that, since it does bug me somewhat, I don't do it to others.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.