Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Cervelo Aspero

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-19, 07:39 PM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The green is such a stunner. I'm surprised it isn't a more popular choice.

Posted on WW:

Old 11-21-19, 11:19 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
So full disclosure: I own a Cervelo S3 so I'm not a hater on the brand. Right after I purchased mine, I came across the Hambini video where he roasts them for their excessive acceptable tolerance for their BBright bottom brackets, and how if yours is out of what he considers acceptable tolerance, but still within Cervelo's acceptable tolerance, you can get bottom bracket creaking.

Of course I saw the video after my return window was closed, so I just hoped and prayed mine was within a good tolerance. So far, several months down the line, all quiet on the western front. Since I've never had BB creak, I wondered if I would know what it even sounded like.

Fast forward to Monday. I drove out to a shop about 15 miles away that had a bunch of gravel bikes I was interested in testing: Aspero, 3T Exploro, and I even got to ride a Pinarello Grevil in my size!

Rode the beautiful gold Aspero, it is stunning in person! It's gold but as you can tell, has a neat little color shift in certain light. Looks gorgeous in natural sunlight as well!

Was so looking forward to the ride! Took it out to the large parking lot, hopped on and...bottom bracket creak.

Wow. So that's what that sounds like. Now at least I know what to listen for in my S3 but again (knock on wood) all is good on that front. But was very disappointed that even though Damon Rinard (who according to Hambini was responsible for the tolerance change) had moved from Cervelo to Cannondale, apparently the relaxed acceptable tolerance he introduced is still impacting new bikes. I'm not sure when this frame was built or passed through QC (if it was during or after Rinard's departure from the company) but wow was that disappointing to discover.
Old 11-25-19, 04:52 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
I love a slammed stem aggressive gravel bike!
Old 11-25-19, 09:49 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Originally Posted by vinuneuro
The green is such a stunner. I'm surprised it isn't a more popular choice.

Posted on WW:

A lot of colors (not just Cervélo's) don't photograph well. Or, rather, the photo may look good...but doesn't do it justice when compared to how it looks in person. The gold Aspero is a prime example. I thought it looked fine in photos, but stunning in person. If it wasn't for the BB creak...I might be riding it right now instead of the Revolt.
Old 11-26-19, 12:27 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM
So full disclosure: I own a Cervelo S3 so I'm not a hater on the brand. Right after I purchased mine, I came across the Hambini video where he roasts them for their excessive acceptable tolerance for their BBright bottom brackets, and how if yours is out of what he considers acceptable tolerance, but still within Cervelo's acceptable tolerance, you can get bottom bracket creaking.

Of course I saw the video after my return window was closed, so I just hoped and prayed mine was within a good tolerance. So far, several months down the line, all quiet on the western front. Since I've never had BB creak, I wondered if I would know what it even sounded like.

Fast forward to Monday. I drove out to a shop about 15 miles away that had a bunch of gravel bikes I was interested in testing: Aspero, 3T Exploro, and I even got to ride a Pinarello Grevil in my size!

Rode the beautiful gold Aspero, it is stunning in person! It's gold but as you can tell, has a neat little color shift in certain light. Looks gorgeous in natural sunlight as well!

Was so looking forward to the ride! Took it out to the large parking lot, hopped on and...bottom bracket creak.

Wow. So that's what that sounds like. Now at least I know what to listen for in my S3 but again (knock on wood) all is good on that front. But was very disappointed that even though Damon Rinard (who according to Hambini was responsible for the tolerance change) had moved from Cervelo to Cannondale, apparently the relaxed acceptable tolerance he introduced is still impacting new bikes. I'm not sure when this frame was built or passed through QC (if it was during or after Rinard's departure from the company) but wow was that disappointing to discover.
I saw that video too and it is absolutely bonkers what Rinard deems acceptable in terms of tolerances. Cannondale BB30 frames were already absolute **** in regards to creaking and now with this guy at the helm it's going to get worse.
Old 11-26-19, 01:43 PM
CarloM

Originally Posted by gus6464
I saw that video too and it is absolutely bonkers what Rinard deems acceptable in terms of tolerances. Cannondale BB30 frames were already absolute **** in regards to creaking and now with this guy at the helm it's going to get worse.
As now a former owner of a SuperSix, I’m pretty much done with that brand. Most of the other manufacturers have a model or two that I’d love to own, but I think I’m done w Cannondale especially with Rinard heading it up.
Old 11-26-19, 10:20 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM
As now a former owner of a SuperSix, I’m pretty much done with that brand. Most of the other manufacturers have a model or two that I’d love to own, but I think I’m done w Cannondale especially with Rinard heading it up.
just glue in an alloy BSA shell and call it a day
Old 09-22-20, 07:15 PM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts

I purchased a brand new 2020 Aspero (with the SRAM Apex 1x build) six weeks ago from my local Cervelo distributor. 300 miles into it a loud creak (I'd call it more of a squeal - like a flock of birds continuously following me) developed. The LBS can't fix it. They still have it in the shop, waiting for another mechanic to have a go at it.

What are my options at this point? A Hambini bottom bracket? It's too loud to ignore...I just cannot do it.
Old 09-23-20, 12:51 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Helldorado
I purchased a brand new 2020 Aspero (with the SRAM Apex 1x build) six weeks ago from my local Cervelo distributor. 300 miles into it a loud creak (I'd call it more of a squeal - like a flock of birds continuously following me) developed. The LBS can't fix it. They still have it in the shop, waiting for another mechanic to have a go at it.

What are my options at this point? A Hambini bottom bracket? It's too loud to ignore...I just cannot do it.
If it's a squeal, then my guess would be a shot BB bearing (not the BB shell, itself). The standard Cervelo BBs (and headsets) have terrible bearings in them, so it only lasted 300 miles isn't that surprising.

I'm using a BBinfinite in my Aspero and R5, and have been very pleased with them. They are also cheaper, and easier to get a hold of, than a Hambini, so I'd go that route.
Old 09-23-20, 12:59 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts

Is the noise occurring only when you pedal or do you hear it at all times while moving? Is the noise made when its in a repair stand?...its easy to determine where the noise is coming from when using a repair stand.
Old 09-23-20, 01:58 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Cervelo isn't known for their great attention to detail around bottom bracket tolerances (hopefully you got lucky). If it is premature bb wear (due to bad bb tolerances) a new bb will probably not last much longer than your first one.
Old 09-23-20, 03:00 PM
Helldorado

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Is the noise occurring only when you pedal or do you hear it at all times while moving? Is the noise made when its in a repair stand?...its easy to determine where the noise is coming from when using a repair stand.
Only when I pedal. In the shop, we disengaged the chain from the front chainring, essentially allowing the bottom bracket to spin on it's own - that's when it squeals. I hope the master mechanic can figure it out - he's working on it as I type this.
Old 09-23-20, 03:04 PM
Helldorado

Originally Posted by tdilf
Cervelo isn't known for their great attention to detail around bottom bracket tolerances (hopefully you got lucky). If it is premature bb wear (due to bad bb tolerances) a new bb will probably not last much longer than your first one.
If that's the case then it's going on sale. I'll need to disclose the problem to the potential buyers and hope that one of them is hard of hearing and doesn't care about squeaky bird-like noises when (s)he pedals.

But if that's the case, I'm done with carbon bikes. Titanium here I come. Gonna take a while to save up that kind of $$, tho.

Sad.
Old 09-23-20, 07:47 PM
TrackSmart

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
If that's the case then it's going on sale. I'll need to disclose the problem to the potential buyers and hope that one of them is hard of hearing and doesn't care about squeaky bird-like noises when (s)he pedals.

But if that's the case, I'm done with carbon bikes. Titanium here I come. Gonna take a while to save up that kind of $$, tho.

Sad.

I imagine that the frame would be eligible for warranty replacement if you are the original owner and 'normal' fixes don't resolve the bottom bracket issue. Cervelo supposedly has a "lifetime" warranty on frames, so your six-week-old bike is surely covered.

So I feel your pain -- and you should not have to be without your bike -- but I don't think its time to panic just yet. Anyway, I hope you get to enjoy your bike again soon. And that you get an appropriate resolution to your problem (including potentially a new frame if needed).
Likes For TrackSmart:
Old 09-24-20, 11:57 AM
gravelED

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I have a Wheels Mfg thread together BB in mine, it's been completely trouble and sqeak free for about a year now.
Likes For gravelED:
Old 09-24-20, 02:43 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts

Sad.
If it is within cervelo's tolerance, then it isnt a warranty issue because it meets their standards.
if you decide to sell it, you could list that it meets cerveloxs standards and let the buyer beware.

...of course that would be a messed up thing to do, but it is effectively what Cervelo will have done to you, assuming the shell is within their tolerances. Always interesting to phrase things differently. You can easily see what and who is the bad apple of the bunch.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-24-20, 05:12 PM
Helldorado

Originally Posted by gravelED
I have a Wheels Mfg thread together BB in mine, it's been completely trouble and sqeak free for about a year now.
Thanks for that advice. Yesterday I emailed Hambini to ask him what BB he makes that would fit my bike. He emailed me back to ask what the current crankset I have is (it's the SRAM Apex1). Lets see what he recommends. The Great Hambini!
Old 09-25-20, 03:17 PM
TrackSmart

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Thanks for that advice. Yesterday I emailed Hambini to ask him what BB he makes that would fit my bike. He emailed me back to ask what the current crankset I have is (it's the SRAM Apex1). Lets see what he recommends. The Great Hambini!
It's your money, but those are some crazy expensive bottom bracket adapters from Hambini £155.00 to £195.00 (i.e. $200 to $250). If you want a thread-together bottom bracket solution, check out Wheels Manufacturing options, which cost 1/3 as much ($60-$80) and are very nicely engineered.

Frankly, if your frame is within tolerances, you won't need anything even as fancy (and heavy) as the Wheels Manufacturing option -- nevermind the Hambini option. For instance, I have an inexpensive SRAM PF30 to Shimano BB adapter on my gravel bike, which I've removed and even moved to a second frame (after crashing and destroying the first frame). The first frame was metal with a metal shell. No issues. The second frame was carbon with a carbon bottom bracket shell. No issues. The only thing I used for installation was plain old grease. The adapter doesn't thread together or anything. It's just two lightweight pieces of plastic with a friction fit. The adapter cost $30 and weighs about 30 grams (i.e. way lighter than the thread-together options).

Compare that to the Hambini adapters, which might be well-engineered (?), but cost £155.00 to £195.00 (i.e. $200 to $250). And his bottom brackets weigh double/triple/quadruple what the simple adapters weigh. Frankly, other than getting the "privilege" of purchasing from a Youtube-famous engineer, I don't see any value in it. Especially for a gravel bike (vs. a race machine used by an actual racer where every quarter-of-a-watt drivetrain loss counts).

Again, it is your money, so no skin off my back. Just letting you know about your other options.
Old 09-26-20, 11:01 AM
Helldorado

Originally Posted by TrackSmart
It's your money, but those are some crazy expensive bottom bracket adapters from Hambini £155.00 to £195.00 (i.e. $200 to $250). If you want a thread-together bottom bracket solution, check out Wheels Manufacturing options, which cost 1/3 as much ($60-$80) and are very nicely engineered.

Frankly, if your frame is within tolerances, you won't need anything even as fancy (and heavy) as the Wheels Manufacturing option -- nevermind the Hambini option. For instance, I have an inexpensive SRAM PF30 to Shimano BB adapter on my gravel bike, which I've removed and even moved to a second frame (after crashing and destroying the first frame). The first frame was metal with a metal shell. No issues. The second frame was carbon with a carbon bottom bracket shell. No issues. The only thing I used for installation was plain old grease. The adapter doesn't thread together or anything. It's just two lightweight pieces of plastic with a friction fit. The adapter cost $30 and weighs about 30 grams (i.e. way lighter than the thread-together options).

Compare that to the Hambini adapters, which might be well-engineered (?), but cost £155.00 to £195.00 (i.e. $200 to $250). And his bottom brackets weigh double/triple/quadruple what the simple adapters weigh. Frankly, other than getting the "privilege" of purchasing from a Youtube-famous engineer, I don't see any value in it. Especially for a gravel bike (vs. a race machine used by an actual racer where every quarter-of-a-watt drivetrain loss counts).

Again, it is your money, so no skin off my back. Just letting you know about your other options.
Understood and agreed. Plus, Hambini just emailed me back to say that he has no BB that will fit my bike - he'd have to machine one de-novo. I'm waiting to hear back form my LBS to see what they can do.
Old 09-26-20, 08:58 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I am curious if you have looked into the Token BB options as well. They are very high quality and supposedly pretty tolerant to BB shell irregularities.
Old 10-01-20, 12:09 PM
Helldorado

Quick follow-up on my "problem" new Aspero. LBS called me a few days ago to tell me that the bottom bracket is actually fine; it's the rear wheel hub that's defective. They disassembled it and the bearings are shot, the seals all torn up - basically it was a bad hub from the get-go. The bike only had about 500 miles /six weeks on it and I never crashed or rode it in the wet. And I weigh 182lbs, so not a Clydesdale..

On the positive side: I'm relieved that the bottom bracket is OK.

On the negative side: no one wants to replaced the rear wheel. My LBS called Cervelo and were told "The wheels are not our problem, it's an Alexrims problem." Because the bike came with a set of Alexrims Boondocks 7-D wheels.

So the LBS calls Alexrims who tells them "That's a Cervelo problem - call them. They warranty the bike, not us."

Shift-blaming. Bad customer service.

Should I just cave and replace the wheel-set myself with something better, which I was already planning on doing before the original rear hub died? The thing is, I was going to keep the old wheels for winter riding, but now I got no rear wheel.

I shoulda bought a Trek instead.
Old 10-01-20, 01:15 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
I think the LBS still has to figure out the warranty issue (that is if this is where you bought the bike originally) - it's not on you. I think the Aspero is an interesting bike and if you like how it rides/fits this is just a little bump in the road.
Old 10-01-20, 05:04 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
When I worked at my LBS we had a similar issue with BMC GF01s when they came with Shimano DA C24s. BMC referred to Shimano, Shimano to BMC.

Ultimately, Shimano caved and warrantied them, but it was a huge hassle and a whole lot of effort from both the customer, the service manager, and the shop owner.

So that finger pointing with wheel warranty coverage is definitely not just a Cervelo thing.
Old 10-03-20, 10:34 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
what could go wrong with a brand new DA c24? they are pretty much bombproof and the hubs are easily self serviceable
Old 10-04-20, 09:56 AM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z
what could go wrong with a brand new DA c24? they are pretty much bombproof and the hubs are easily self serviceable
Two different sets developed multiple small cracks at the spoke nipples. I agree, they're pretty durable, but these are the exception. Interestingly enough both were on demo bikes that were ridden on a paved bike trail over the course of 8-months, so they weren't exactly exposed to adverse/ill-advised conditions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.