Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Build I Dreamed up on My Lunch Break

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Build I Dreamed up on My Lunch Break

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-19, 11:41 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Boy, Dave, your taste has become sophisticated in a short amount of time. And that's a good thing.

I once built up a Surly Cross Check with very light wheels. The heavy frame and the light wheels made for a balanced bike. It was pleasant. But it was too big for me, so I traded it for a smaller size. Then I built it differently with different wheels. Then the bike was too heavy. I decided the Cross Check, while it has good potential, wasn't right for me, so I sold that one, too. Nevertheless, it's not totally insane to mix light wheels with a heavy-ish frame. I bet the Jones isn't as heavy as the Cross Check.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 12-21-19, 11:41 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I'd be afraid of jinxing myself paying that much for a commuter. I feel much more secure with parts I am not attached to (for the most part) on a used frame I picked up for less than $100. It also happens that many of the (Japanese and other) frames of early '80s accommodated fix gears, big 700c tires and fenders, making them very good all weather bikes.

Of course, those frames do not support disc brakes. I graduated to rim brakes that work well plus I learned the routine for riding in the wet and stopping 50 years ago when you really had to plan ahead.

Ben
you’re absolutely correct. I love and recommend older Japanese bikes for that reason! I loved my ‘84 Nishiki!! I could and did fit 700x38c tires on it!

I don’t lock my commuter or leave outside so there’s that. I am lucky in that respect.

this build would actually be more lockable than my current bike- it has thru axles instead of qr and is more non descript than my Ridley with it’s oversized tubing and huge “Ridley” decal on the downtube. You guys would know it’s a neat bike but I am not sure tweakers would or not
Old 12-21-19, 09:25 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Boy, Dave, your taste has become sophisticated in a short amount of time. And that's a good thing.

I once built up a Surly Cross Check with very light wheels. The heavy frame and the light wheels made for a balanced bike. It was pleasant. But it was too big for me, so I traded it for a smaller size. Then I built it differently with different wheels. Then the bike was too heavy. I decided the Cross Check, while it has good potential, wasn't right for me, so I sold that one, too. Nevertheless, it's not totally insane to mix light wheels with a heavy-ish frame. I bet the Jones isn't as heavy as the Cross Check.
You’re right. I used to have 2-3 single speed bikes for various uses. I love single speeds but grew tired of that and never had a bike with gears for long rides.

That is when I decided to abandon cx racing and turn my Ridley cx bike to a 1x10. It’s 100 percent custom and I love it in its current configuration with 700*43 tires but I still crave more capability. It’s my only bike atm.

I am still obsessed with a “everything” bike but I have been researching a lot and I believe Jeff Jones is on to something with his plus platform/rigid specific geometry. I had a chance to ride with him at his shop in Oregon. Cool guy

His complete bikes are quite heavy (~36 lbs) because the frames are non heat treated steel and the build kit has some sacrifices for cost along the way. The one I rode was very close to the one I described and was heavy but extremely light feeling and nimble, extremely easy to pedal uphill too. Difficult to explain but rode lighter than it was.

thank you for the compliment!!

Last edited by davei1980; 12-21-19 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-22-19, 01:01 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980
What do you know about BOX Components? They have some nifty drivetrains although I've heard their trigger shifters are somewhat unorthodox.....
We bought a Box rear derailleur for the kid's bike after two dead GX eagles. It was an improvement, but not as good as the SLX. (In fairness, the Box was designed as an 11-speed derailleur, and we were trying to use it as a 12-speed derailleur, which in retrospect was probably asking too much.) Currently it is back in a ... box. I might put it on a touring bike I am building up. The pulleys kind of suck, and the clutch tension is pretty extreme (and not adjustable, unless you take it out). It comes with a lifetime warranty, FWIW.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 12-22-19 at 01:05 AM.
Likes For Cyclist0108: