Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Annual Ride Stats After Hip Replacement

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-19, 12:24 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Many of you recall that I had a nasty crash in August, 2018 while riding with my regular group. The ball on my femur was dislocated from the socket and broken cleanly off the femur. There wasn’t a way to reattach the ball back onto the femur neck. Thus I had a total hip replacement on my right hip the next day.

I started back riding before the end of 2018 starting with shorter rides.

It seemed like I rode a lot less in 2019 than previous years. I walk 18 holes of golf Monday-Friday and instead of riding with my regulars on Tuesday or Thursday evenings I might do a solo ride during the day after playing. I haven’t looked at my stats until today but was curious what they were.

The 2019 totals in round numbers are:

6000 miles
100 rides
60 miles-average distance
290,000’ of climbing
17.1 mph average speed
84 rpm average cadence
124 bpm average heart rate

I know others are doing a lot more miles.....but I was surprised at both the distance and the number of rides for me for 2019. It’s not a historical year for me other than it’s great that I can still ride and do most of the rides I did before the crash. I used to do a lot of 100 milers but probably only did 10 or less this year.

My heart rate is down but I lost a little power after the replacement. I noticed on my rides that my HR was running about 5% less than it used to so that’s not a surprise. The mileage and number of rides was bolstered by riding in 4 different weeklong supported rides. It’s great being retired!!

Anyway, for those who might be recuperating from health issues or are just getting started riding there is some light at the end of the tunnel! Just keep plugging away at it.
Old 12-31-19, 11:24 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 3,028 Posts
Impressive stats I will out with hand operations both right and left But I will be back! I remember the photos of you in the hospital it was brutal. You’re recovery and bounce back is remarkable.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 01-01-20, 04:48 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Many of you recall that I had a nasty crash in August, 2018 while riding with my regular group. The ball on my femur was dislocated from the socket and broken cleanly off the femur. There wasn’t a way to reattach the ball back onto the femur neck. Thus I had a total hip replacement on my right hip the next day.

I started back riding before the end of 2018 starting with shorter rides.

It seemed like I rode a lot less in 2019 than previous years. I walk 18 holes of golf Monday-Friday and instead of riding with my regulars on Tuesday or Thursday evenings I might do a solo ride during the day after playing. I haven’t looked at my stats until today but was curious what they were.

The 2019 totals in round numbers are:

6000 miles
100 rides
60 miles-average distance
290,000’ of climbing
17.1 mph average speed
84 rpm average cadence
124 bpm average heart rate

I know others are doing a lot more miles.....but I was surprised at both the distance and the number of rides for me for 2019. It’s not a historical year for me other than it’s great that I can still ride and do most of the rides I did before the crash. I used to do a lot of 100 milers but probably only did 10 or less this year.

My heart rate is down but I lost a little power after the replacement. I noticed on my rides that my HR was running about 5% less than it used to so that’s not a surprise. The mileage and number of rides was bolstered by riding in 4 different weeklong supported rides. It’s great being retired!!

Anyway, for those who might be recuperating from health issues or are just getting started riding there is some light at the end of the tunnel! Just keep plugging away at it.
Incredible accomplishments--truly. I will just add that my bet pal in Seattle had his right done via the anterior approach and he can no longer ride a bike. His hip flexors just hurt way too much. He is so bummed. Very glad you don't have to deal with that.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 01-01-20, 05:23 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Oh, last year I put twice the miles on my bike as I did my convertible which is mainly used to drive back and forth to the golf course 5 days a week....
Old 01-02-20, 12:10 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Sounds like a great year to me! Especially with new parts.
60miles per outing is really impressive - a committed senior cyclist - Congrats.

I stopped at metric century distances in 2019, so I can cycle the next day without concerns.
4-5 hours in the saddle seems about my max limit to keep it enjoyable.
My boring 30 mile route was over-used in 2019.
I tell myself Consistency over Mileage is best - but who really knows.

Ride on!
Always follow your posts.

I chose no skiing this Winter (but more hiking), so eagerly awaiting March for regular riding again.