Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Have Your Tires been Lying to you?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Have Your Tires been Lying to you?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-20, 06:23 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by .mockingbird.
Again, I am not making an interpretation.

The manufacturer plainly states that the 80 psi is a starting point, not a max, as you continue to falsely claim.

It's odd that you continue to be unable to understand the black and white text from the manufacturer. "Note: Tire pressures are intended as a starting recommendation "
Yeah.. what I'm realizing is that Enve changed this chart sometime recently.. I know that the 80psi rating that I originally referenced used to be in red type and part of my frustration in this convo, since Enve does have this mention under the chart as well that red type = max. Either some webpage formatting error, or curiously Enve (unlike Hed, Zipp, or most other wheel makers) decided to do away with max inflation ratings?
"Red = Maximum Recommended Tire Pressure for Given Rim & Tire Volume Combo on Paved Road Surfaces"
Anyway.. we all agree that tire sidewalls max psi ratings don't mean much, and hopefully we agree that often these can be in strong misalignment with what (most) rim makers indicate as safe.
Old 01-15-20, 08:18 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts
OK, so where does pinch flatting come into play here? As a fat rider I was always told to inflate to the maximum pressure listed on the sidewall. So for my 40X700 Clements I ran running 80 psi last year. After 3 blow outs I dropped down to 70 psi and I stopped having problems. My local LBS also advised that the quality of tubes isn't what it once was..... Thoughts??
Old 01-15-20, 11:53 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
Originally Posted by boozergut
My local LBS also advised that the quality of tubes isn't what it once was..... Thoughts??
The quality of the tube has absolutly nothing to do with whether or not the tire bead blows off the rim.

Tubes come in all variety of thicknesses from ultra-thick thorn resistant to ridiculously thin latex ultra-lights. Even no tube at all in some cases.

Blow-off (in most cases that are not heat related) is a result of fitment of the tire to the rim and the construction/quality & particular combination of each.

Last edited by base2; 01-15-20 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-15-20, 12:34 PM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts
Heya base2. Im just trying to figure out what pressure I should ride my tires at. 80 caused me issues. How low can I go without getting a pinch flat on a 40mm gravel tire??
Old 01-15-20, 01:45 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Heya base2. Im just trying to figure out what pressure I should ride my tires at. 80 caused me issues. How low can I go without getting a pinch flat on a 40mm gravel tire??
Depends on your weight, what surfaces you're riding on, how you carry your weight on the bike, what sort of suspension the bicycle has (or doesn't have), and even the designs of the particular tire and rim and inner tube.

To get some sense for a baseline, though, what's your bike+rider weight? What's your gravel like?
Old 01-15-20, 06:32 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
As I said above, they (Knarly 700'c x 41) were way faster at 45 or 50psi than at 80 IME...That being said, last winter I mostly ran them at or above 40 or so. Above ~35 if I took it gravelling, about 45-ish for on road. I weigh 200 pounds.

The above poster is correct. Conditions matter. If you're running hardcore on all tree roots & rock the likelyhood of a pinch is greater. I tend to run a bit higher just because I don't like mush & I don't like walking. How much time is lost walking back to the car? A lot! So I've made it policy to never find out how low I could go. I've always took the minimum to mean "lowest you could go to ensure the tube or tire doesn't walk around the rim" & left it at that.

So maybe a touch higher (50-ish) is better when you leave the house, then you can let some out when conditions dictate what you should do. There is no shame in looking at your own contact patch, seeing how much your sidewalls deflect or feeling how rough the ride is through your hands/sitbones and adjusting accordingly. Some gravel roads can be remarkably smooth & well packed others can be pretty rocky. I did a gravel century on 700x32's at 65psi & it worked out fine. I just (an hour ago) did 20 miles on ice with 559x60 studded snow tires at 35psi. The studs were like velcro, so It must've been right enough. The only pinch flat I ever got was a skinny 23c at 80psi when hitting a curb. So, you've got plenty of wiggle room to go down, for sure.

Sorry, there isn't a better answer in the form of a specific number....If I set off in the car & drive to a ride I keep a track pump in the car/truck & decide when I get there.

If 80 (!) is causing issues, go less. If it feels mushy or draggy go more. No need to overthink. Assuming you have 41's & good roads like me you could start at 50 psi & see what happens. I never go below 35, I just haven't seen any reason to. I hope this helps.

Last edited by base2; 01-15-20 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-19-20, 11:59 AM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I’ve discovered that Silica’s pressure calculator chart provides a good starting point for finding good tire pressure. It is worth checking out and comparing against what you might be currently doing.

Another thought, I think for most of us the 105% rule is an overstated rule. There aren’t many road bike wheels in actual use that are wide enough for anything wider than a 25mm wide tire and still stay within the 105% rule, yet many of us are riding 26, 28mm tires with no real depreciation in actual speed. I’m not saying there isn’t a trade off, I’m just suggesting that the fraction of aero lost is less important than the gains from wider tires.

Happy cycling!