Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike leans to right with no hands- would new headset correct it?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bike leans to right with no hands- would new headset correct it?

Old 01-20-20, 05:23 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by Sirflasher
There is a simple fix for this barring the lean isn’t to extreme. And as I am somewhat new to forums I can’t post a photo which could be worth a thousand words. I understand that this procedure may be highly criticized by the more knowledgeable bicycle riders on this forum, but here goes. The instructions detailed here are for a lean to the right but should work for a lean to the left by reversing the procedure. Begin with bike resting on its wheels. 1. If necessary open brake pads as if to remove wheel. 2. Loosen QD or axel nuts. 3. Position top of wheel off center in fork toward the right side, but not touching the fork. Left side of axel should be seated in dropout while right side of the axel will not be. 4. Tighten QD or nuts. 5. Adjust brake pads to accommodate new wheel position if necessary. Hope this helps someone.
Why would you resurrect a 6 year old thread for no apparent reason? This problem has been resolved or not years ago
Old 01-21-20, 08:43 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
I had this same problem once when I completely disassembled a bike for painting...which included removing the headtube bearing cubs. I wasn't aware (at the time) that the top and bottom cups are slightly different. In reassembly, I inadvertently put the top cup in the bottom of the head tube, and the bottom cup in the top of the head tube. When the complete headset was reassembled, it pretty much pivoted OK by hand, but when riding (with no hands) it just wouldn't track straight. I thought I have bent the fork or frame somehow during the disassembly/assembly. Not sure what eventually clued me into reversing the headset bearing cups...but once I did everything worked as it should.

Dan
Old 01-22-20, 08:33 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
It's totally obvious what the issue was. He spread the front forks to accept 100mm and did not achieve uniformity on both sides.
Old 01-22-20, 09:05 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 2,908 Times in 1,472 Posts
leaning/

try adjusting your rear wheel to the side its leaning towards,if the dropouts permit it.if horizontal dropouts angle the rear wheel to the left if the pull is to the left.common method for motorcycles after adjusting chain slack if a pull exists.also look at the top of the front wheel for equal space between the fork blades.