Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What do you wear?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What do you wear?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-18, 09:52 AM
Jimbo47

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't get dressed up to ride my bike.
I wear whats comfortable for me, and I don't care what anyone thinks, but hey, to each his own!
Old 07-19-18, 10:29 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Bike shorts only look weird if you wear them when you're not on your bike. Otherwise, I don't think anyone would be surprise or care to see a cyclist wearing cycling shorts/apparel. In any event, I think its more a fitness thing then it is age specific.

BTW, funny how women don't seem to have this issue. Some can be 300 or more pounds and still go out and about wearing spandex seemingly with no thoughts given.

Old 07-19-18, 11:51 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cool marine climate, so my needs are different than the OP in a Hot Humid place..
Old 07-19-18, 11:58 AM
bnewberry

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Wool with real chamois is my first choice, second is Lycra with a very thin pad such as a trip suit. In cooler weather I wear wool knickers over the Lycra.

Kucharick traditional cycling shorts.

On top I wear cheap synthetic jerseys in hot weather and wool jerseys in cooler weather.
Old 07-19-18, 04:26 PM
pass the peas
like we used to say

Bikes: 2009 Surly Cross Check, ca.2013 Worksman INB, 2018 Breezer Doppler Pro

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL

BTW, funny how women don't seem to have this issue. Some can be 300 or more pounds and still go out and about wearing spandex seemingly with no thoughts given.
Oh, there are thoughts given.
Old 07-21-18, 10:34 AM
tclune

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
The one bit of cycling kit that really caught my attention when I first used it was compression leg sleeves. I got them for their SPF factor, but I was amazed at how much they helped keep my legs from getting tired. I'm sure they add to my Fred factor, but I wear them whenever I'm going to go on a 20 mile or more outing. I also like sun sleeves and a sun sheik when it's sunny, wicking shirts, padded undershorts, and padded fingerless gloves. When in full regalia, I can draw quite a crowd of snickering children.

Last edited by tclune; 07-21-18 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-21-18, 10:47 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4423 Post(s)
Liked 4,527 Times in 3,029 Posts
Just don’t be the guy that wears bicycle lycra shorts with a t-shirt and has a huge beer gut and has on flip flops and doesn’t own or ride a bike. Loitering around city parks and other public rec areas report this person! he can also be found at any given Walmart. And NO it’s not me
Old 07-21-18, 09:01 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
At 60 I wear chamois liners under my Endura Hummvee baggy shorts (they come with snap-in liners BTW). The Hummvee II's are almost as good and more readily available than the original shorts.They come in multiple colors as well. They aren't as hot to wear as one would think. I lived in Arizona and wore them on 115 degree rides and they were fine. Actually insulated me more from the road heat than traditional stretch bike shorts. I now live in the humid southeast and they are fine here also.

They are very high quality shorts and built like armor (read you can take a spill and not get road rash - I know this from experience) and I can wear them around town also because they don't "look" like bike shorts. They have a bunch of pockets to carry necessities and you can put a large U-lock in inside the belt and hanging into the back pocket when running errands. You won't even notice it's there. I highly recommend them.

They are a bit pricey but you'll get years of wear out of them. They run small! Buy at least one size bigger than you usually wear. I have a pair of Endura long Hummvee pants as well when I go mountain biking in cold weather. I also use those pants when backpacking in cold weather. Perfect for that as well.

Last edited by drlogik; 07-21-18 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-24-18, 07:11 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
I came across a pair of Russell 2 in 1 shorts at Walmart today, they were not expensive so I thought I would try them. Went for a 25 min ride and they were a huge improvement.
Now I will run back tomorrow and buy a second pair. Now on to the saddle.
Frank.
Old 07-25-18, 04:29 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by drlogik
At 60 I wear chamois liners under my Endura Hummvee baggy shorts (they come with snap-in liners BTW). The Hummvee II's are almost as good and more readily available than the original shorts.They come in multiple colors as well. They aren't as hot to wear as one would think. I lived in Arizona and wore them on 115 degree rides and they were fine. Actually insulated me more from the road heat than traditional stretch bike shorts. I now live in the humid southeast and they are fine here also.

They are very high quality shorts and built like armor (read you can take a spill and not get road rash - I know this from experience) and I can wear them around town also because they don't "look" like bike shorts. They have a bunch of pockets to carry necessities and you can put a large U-lock in inside the belt and hanging into the back pocket when running errands. You won't even notice it's there. I highly recommend them.

They are a bit pricey but you'll get years of wear out of them. They run small! Buy at least one size bigger than you usually wear. I have a pair of Endura long Hummvee pants as well when I go mountain biking in cold weather. I also use those pants when backpacking in cold weather. Perfect for that as well.

Just for the record its not as much about age as it is about physical conditioning. There are taut 60+ year olds, and flabby people in their twenties.
Old 08-21-18, 03:09 AM
BigWoolie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll probably catch a little flack, but I wear Wranglers, good hiking shoes and a weather-appropriate shirt. I've done many a day of 30 miles of hilly, rough, gravel back-roads dressed like this back when I used to ride a lot, and getting back into riding now has proven to be no different. I can do 40 miles in a day of 100 degree heat on horseback, too. Sometimes "comfort" can be an excuse for other things.

I'm perfectly fine with others wearing whatever they want, or need, to wear. But I'm not convinced it's all as necessary as it sometimes comes across.
Old 08-21-18, 09:41 AM
slorollin

Bikes: '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
No Spandex for me either. I found these and wear them under any kinds of shorts. They are wonderful. Though, wife says that from behind it looks like I'm carrying a load. She's supportive like that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00O0F3BIO?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title&th=1
Old 08-21-18, 10:41 AM
KraneXL

You may think stretchy fabric has its limits in cycling. But in some sports it doesn't seem to matter.