Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello from Oregon!

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hello from Oregon!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-18, 06:28 PM
HillRaiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello from Oregon!

Hi all,

Long time intermittent cyclist here, just picked up a new road bike and excited to go back to commuting and doing some longer rides on the weekends alone and with the family. Just hit 40 this year and definitely feeling the metabolic changes that come with being less active and getting older, and looking to turn that trend around!

The community here looks fantastic and I can't wait to dig in!

Best,

HR
Old 12-16-18, 07:53 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
Welcome! What bike did you purchase?
Old 12-17-18, 01:21 AM
HillRaiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a 1980 american issue Peugeot--I'm about 99% sure it's a PFN-10 but a positive ID is a bit of a stretch. Once I get a chance to take some good photos I'll probably post an ID-help thread in the classic/vintage forum. I'd love to know for sure!

The year is easy enough to figure out but the only clear marker I have for exact model is the "peugeot"-marked Simplex derailleur which seems to have only been included on the PFN model in the 1980 line sold in the US. It has a shop sticker from a local shop so I assume it wasn't imported as a french-only production model (though that may be a poor assumption).

I only gave it one run so far before pulling it into the garage to tune it up a bit, but it honestly handles like a dream. My last bike was a '78 or '79 Nishiki Custom Sport so this is just light years better even with some adjustments and light maintenance needed.
Old 12-17-18, 03:59 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Welcome, from an older member in eastern Oregon (Ontario, and 52 but making up for that by being just building old bikes up and being generally crotchety)!

What part of the state do you call home?
Old 12-17-18, 06:37 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 898 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new bike! Maybe come this spring you'll find that you won't be intermittent because of the new ride! Have fun!
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 12-18-18, 09:12 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,735 Times in 2,758 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums, HillRaiser!
Old 12-18-18, 01:00 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,462 Posts
Welcome. Age does catch up with us and cycling is a great way to push back time. Enjoy the forums.
Old 12-18-18, 01:53 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
welcome young man! you made a good choice! sounds like you'll dig the Classic & Vintage .sub-forum! (among others)
Old 12-19-18, 10:15 AM
HillRaiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all for the warm welcome! Sorry for the hit and run there--I just started a new job on Monday so it's absorbed my life for the last couple of days.

I'm from Eugene, though not originally (I hail from Maine once-upon-a-time). It's a great place in terms of access to delightful longer rides, if you can survive the unconcerned and even sometimes hostile motorists that plague the region.

I'll definitely be riding on the regular as of tomorrow, starting with work commutes and doing some longer rides in the rain on the weekends

And, yes, I will definitely enjoy the C&V forum! I've always loved older bikes--I recognize that there are advantages to riding a bike kitted with new technology, but I just can't help being stuck on the aesthetics of the bike boom racing bikes.
Old 12-19-18, 10:48 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 110 Posts
"unconcerned and even sometimes hostile motorists that plague the region." - Yep. A lot of folks see Oregon as some kind of cycling nirvana, but we've got bad drivers just like everywhere else.

"longer rides in the rain on the weekends " - Three words for you: Fenders. Wool. Goretex. I've been riding in the "PNW sunshine" for decades and long ago gave up on trying to stay dry. Warm and (relatively) comfortable are my goals in the rain.

SP
OC (soon to be Newport), OR
Old 12-19-18, 11:44 AM
HillRaiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes!

Nice thing about buying used is you can get a bike that already has fenders that work for it as a package deal when it's from Oregon I need to get some wool undergear (being from New England, I'm used to wool being the two heavy layers you put on outside the rest of your clothing and not what you stick underneath...) but I've got some solid goretex outer gear that has worked well for me. The only challenge I ever really have is losing feeling in my face riding in late January or early February around here...
Old 12-20-18, 01:13 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRaiser
Thanks all for the warm welcome! Sorry for the hit and run there--I just started a new job on Monday so it's absorbed my life for the last couple of days.

I'm from Eugene, though not originally (I hail from Maine once-upon-a-time). It's a great place in terms of access to delightful longer rides, if you can survive the unconcerned and even sometimes hostile motorists that plague the region.

I'll definitely be riding on the regular as of tomorrow, starting with work commutes and doing some longer rides in the rain on the weekends

And, yes, I will definitely enjoy the C&V forum! I've always loved older bikes--I recognize that there are advantages to riding a bike kitted with new technology, but I just can't help being stuck on the aesthetics of the bike boom racing bikes.
We had Snowmaggedon in the winter of 2016-17 (mostly January) and with roofs caving in over much of the state and in southern Idaho not being able to ride on the ice rinks around here was not the biggest problem...but it WAS one of the few times I can recall having to rely completely on car rides.
Old 12-22-18, 05:27 PM
HillRaiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We get such infrequent snow that I'm glad to say it's not generally a problem here in the valley
Old 12-22-18, 06:02 PM
HillRaiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't post images yet but a little more digging and some more careful attention to the bike's details suggests it's actually a French-made after all (I overlooked the "Made in France" sticker assuming they all bore that title--turns out not to be so). In 1980 it appears identical to the PF10 except for:

Peugeot 103 "course" frame with stamped, not forged, rear drops
"Peugeot" branded rear simplex derailleur
Monochrome fork

That suggests to me that it's a French-issue imported PH10, which is pretty exciting.

It looks almost all original except the chain (obvs), the hub has been replaced with a shimano, it has a new seat and the pedals have been switched out for some japanese clipless (they're old and very battered and need replacement). The paintjob on the frame also needs some attention, which is sad because in general it's great but there are some spots where either someone was trying to drill through the tubes or had it smashing against something routinely for years.

Not a bad find for under $200 USD for everything I needed to get it back on the road. Might have been able to find it cheaper if I had specifically been looking, but this was local and an unexpected find.
Old 12-22-18, 06:36 PM
HillRaiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some images I managed to snap of relevant portions.

Needs some serious cleaning too, of course...

You can see the big divots in the finish on the upper bar here where the damage is most pronounced.
Old 12-22-18, 08:03 PM
DruVioleteer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to you as well! Cheers.
Old 12-23-18, 02:21 PM
nathanjame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)