Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Consolidation

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Bicycle Consolidation

Old 01-08-19, 02:42 PM
IchbinJay

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 (2017)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Smile Bicycle Consolidation

Has anyone ever consolidated their fleet (quiver) down to one bike, especially a hybrid? Trying to get my stable down to one steed is my Holy Grail. Obviously, there are going to be some limitations in eliminating a mountain bike, but I'm mostly looking to replace my road bike since it gets the most use. I typically ride about 30-40 miles a week. I have already sold off my mountain bikes, but I really miss riding in the woods on occasion. Yet, I don't want to completely abandon a 30 mile road ride after work. Any ideas or suggestions are most welcome!
Old 01-08-19, 03:10 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
A neat idea I wish you well. I have been thinking about this as well. But, if I were to do it I wouldn't look for a hybrid but at some of the current "gravel bikes". The one I would buy is a Canyon Grail CF (talk about your Holy Grail). Take a look it could be the ultimate do every thing bike. https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road/grail
Old 01-08-19, 04:50 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by IchbinJay
Has anyone ever consolidated their fleet (quiver) down to one bike, especially a hybrid?
No, I have not.
I have already sold off my mountain bikes, but I really miss riding in the woods on occasion.
And this is exactly why.

There is nothing magical about having just one of anything, unless you're Connor MacLeod, the Highlander. It's simply a myth that permeates our culture.
Old 01-08-19, 06:25 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Unhappy

Wow, my problem is N+1 bug has been hitting me hard for several years. The real problem is no funds for the +1 and am stuck with the 1 hybrid.
Old 01-08-19, 07:25 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
A gravel bike would win over a hybrid, especially since you like riding road. Perhaps with two wheel sets, 28-32mm slicks and widest you can fit knobbies. However, if you ride trails that require suspension, then welcome N=2.

I've been trying to get down to 2-3 bikes, currently have 4 marked as keepers with 3 for sale. My Salsa Vaya would be my only bike if I had to pick one, but it's not a bike I would lock at bike racks.
Old 01-08-19, 07:29 PM
IchbinJay

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
No, I have not.
And this is exactly why.

There is nothing magical about having just one of anything, unless you're Connor MacLeod, the Highlander. It's simply a myth that permeates our culture.
I disagree entirely. Everything about our culture shouts "more" and "disposable". Nothing about our culture promotes modesty.

Overall, I'd really just like to bike so that I'm not thinking about the bike so often. Even if I'm a little slow, it'd be nice to not be switching between bikes. I'd like to just ride without worrying about the terrain or the equipment.
Old 01-08-19, 07:31 PM
IchbinJay

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
A gravel bike would win over a hybrid, especially since you like riding road. Perhaps with two wheel sets, 28-32mm slicks and widest you can fit knobbies. However, if you ride trails that require suspension, then welcome N=2.

I've been trying to get down to 2-3 bikes, currently have 4 marked as keepers with 3 for sale. My Salsa Vaya would be my only bike if I had to pick one, but it's not a bike I would lock at bike racks.
A gravel bike would be ideal, but the price of them is really high right now. Maybe in couple of years when the demand isn't as bad.
Old 01-08-19, 09:09 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I disagree entirely. Everything about our culture shouts "more" and "disposable". Nothing about our culture promotes modesty.
I didn't say it was the prevailing myth, just that it's a pervasive myth. There are many myths in which people live their lives and make their daily decisions. Think of the "one-ness" as a pop-culture myth if that helps.

Examples:
Highlander: There can only be one
The Matrix: The One
LOTR: One ring to rule them all
Old 01-09-19, 12:42 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
A gravel bike would be ideal, but the price of them is really high right now. Maybe in couple of years when the demand isn't as bad.
Only if you need the latest and greatest go fast bike and aren't a little handy.
At their core, gravel bikes are just road bikes that can accept wider tires. If you can find that you can alter other stuff like gearing, bars, shifters etc... to whatever you like if you want.
But if one needs the fastest CF 1x product then yes, they are a little expensive.

An example of a the type of base bike that would be an all rounder I think is the Surly Crosscheck: https://surlybikes.com/bikes/cross_check
Old 01-09-19, 06:00 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
I think Morbius' statement may have been speaking to the notion that we can have The Ultimate (something) that does everything well, and I've found that to not be the case, especially with bicycles, which are basic enough so that they're generally optimal at only a few things. A bike that excels on mountain trails won't be best on the road. And vice versa.

In your case, I think any bike with a light frame and clearance for large tires will work. Do you ride in the rain and want fenders? That may somewhat limit your choices. Do you tour and/or carry racks/bags? That may somewhat limit your choices. When you start to consider all the things you do on a bike, you may come back around to the desire to have more than one. But, if your use case is pretty narrow or focused, then you can probably manage with one bike. Note also that this is a forum for bike enthusiasts, so we're already pre-biased towards "nicer" and/or "more". Of course, most of the world gets by on bikes we would buy at Walmart, and they go places that we wouldn't, so our perspective is already different than most.

Consider a fat bike with street tires. My dad just got a Surly Pugsley and put Origin8 Supercell tires on it (street tires) and it's a real riot. Consider a steel framed flat bar bike like a Surly Troll. Consider an older used bike like a Trek MultiTrack -- they have steel frames and clearance for wide tires. My 1997 MultiTrack 750 works great as a light "mountain bike" with 40mm tires. I found that I wanted to do more than that bike would do (or I just didn't want to beat it up), so I bought a dedicated 27.5" mountain bike. You don't have to spend a lot of money. I paid $155 for mine and have a total of about $350 in it now including better drivetrain, hydraulic disc brakes, very nice Vittoria Mezcal tires, etc.

Of course, you can find a bike that "can work" on nearly all surfaces. A street-tired fat bike and/or something like a Troll is probably the most "all-rounded" bike type you can find. All types represent compromises, though, and you just have to determine which ones you are willing to accept.
Old 01-09-19, 07:10 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Overall, I'd really just like to bike so that I'm not thinking about the bike so often. Even if I'm a little slow, it'd be nice to not be switching between bikes. I'd like to just ride without worrying about the terrain or the equipment.
If it were me and it had to be just one bike, I'd look at either a gravel bike or a hybrid that ran on 650b x 47 mm tires. Because I have one of those, and the tires are adequate for my local singletrack. So if I really had to trim down to one bike, a rigid bike on something like the WTB Horizon tires would be my compromise of choice. If I lived in a more urban area, I might choose differently.

That said, I look at multiple bikes in the same way as a golfer looks at multiple clubs. None of my golfing friends are trying to get down to just one club.
Old 01-09-19, 07:19 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Have you looked at the Quick CX series? Just a thought as I have a 3 and it has good speed but the CX series has a suspension fork that would allow your off road and I believe the upper range has a lock out for the road if you want. Just a additional possibility.
Frank.
Old 01-09-19, 07:52 AM
IchbinJay

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
Have you looked at the Quick CX series? Just a thought as I have a 3 and it has good speed but the CX series has a suspension fork that would allow your off road and I believe the upper range has a lock out for the road if you want. Just a additional possibility.
Frank.
Funny you mention it. I've actually been looking at those and trying to find some reviews. It's hard to find good reviews, especially since many of the reviewers ride different terrain and roads. I've also been looking at the Cannondale Slate. It's a bit out of my price range, but they seem like the ideal bike for someone looking to consolidate their stable.
Old 01-09-19, 08:17 AM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
But if one needs the fastest CF 1x product then yes, they are a little expensive.

An example of a the type of base bike that would be an all rounder I think is the Surly Crosscheck: https://surlybikes.com/bikes/cross_check
Sold the road bike. Mt bike currently fs.
Did exactly that. Found one that had 300 commuter miles. Mechanic owned. Cheap. Done! Been on rides ranging from road, trails, and in between. So far, so good....

Last edited by gorillimo; 01-09-19 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-09-19, 08:34 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by gorillimo
Did exactly that. Found one that had 300 commuter miles. Mechanic owned. Cheap. Done! Been on rides ranging from road, trails, and in between. So far, so good....
Great-looking setup! I love the handlebar.
Old 01-09-19, 08:38 AM
hokiefyd 

Funny you mention it. I've actually been looking at those and trying to find some reviews. It's hard to find good reviews, especially since many of the reviewers ride different terrain and roads. I've also been looking at the Cannondale Slate. It's a bit out of my price range, but they seem like the ideal bike for someone looking to consolidate their stable.
The Quick CX is analogous to the Trek DS, the Giant Roam, the Specialized Crosstrail, etc. Components are, of course, more or less standard commodity items and the bikes will be equipped more or less the same, depending on price bracket. The most important distinction between them all will be individual fit, and each brand and size will fit you a little bit differently. If you think you like this genre (and it's a very popular one), then I would recommend trying different models to see what strikes you. You may fall in love with one and buy it on the spot -- that's the bike for you!
Old 01-09-19, 10:12 AM
gorillimo

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Great-looking setup! I love the handlebar.
Thanks. Am going the All Arounder direction with it. The po had some wide, low mt bike handlebars on it. Also had the stem flipped and spacers on top of stem. I reversed it.!I’ve got an old neck fracture and don’t handle low setups. Much better!
Old 01-09-19, 11:26 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
If I could only have ONE, then a full suspension mtb (with a spare wheelset that has skinny slick tires for road rides and commutes) would be what I would choose. MTB brings a smile to my face that not even the most epic road ride has ever come close to, and I'm not willing to give that up.

Last edited by Riveting; 01-09-19 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-09-19, 03:12 PM
IchbinJay

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks. Am going the All Arounder direction with it. The po had some wide, low mt bike handlebars on it. Also had the stem flipped and spacers on top of stem. I reversed it.!I’ve got an old neck fracture and don’t handle low setups. Much better!
Yes, I definitely like the look of the Crosscheck too! I've considered buying a steel cross frame and just swapping over my road stuff. I'm just not sure if I would actually like the product, and at that point I would have already sunk a lot of money into the build.
Old 01-09-19, 03:13 PM
IchbinJay

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
If I could only have ONE, then a full suspension mtb (with a spare wheelset that has skinny slick tires for road rides and commutes) would be what I would choose. MTB brings a smile to my face that not even the most epic road ride has ever come close to, and I'm not willing to give that up.
This is also a great point. I realized this past year that I don't want to completely give up Fall trail riding in New England.
Old 01-09-19, 03:16 PM
IchbinJay

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
The Quick CX is analogous to the Trek DS, the Giant Roam, the Specialized Crosstrail, etc. Components are, of course, more or less standard commodity items and the bikes will be equipped more or less the same, depending on price bracket. The most important distinction between them all will be individual fit, and each brand and size will fit you a little bit differently. If you think you like this genre (and it's a very popular one), then I would recommend trying different models to see what strikes you. You may fall in love with one and buy it on the spot -- that's the bike for you!
I think one of the things holding me back is showing up at a road ride on a hybrid and not really getting a warm reception. I don't really join a lot of group rides, but I do enjoy riding in fundraisers where most cyclists are on road bikes.
Old 01-09-19, 03:42 PM
hokiefyd 

What brand/type bar is that? I'm really digging it!
Old 01-09-19, 05:14 PM
gorillimo

Satori Noirette. $29 on Amazon.

Old 01-09-19, 06:31 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
I think one of the things holding me back is showing up at a road ride on a hybrid and not really getting a warm reception. I don't really join a lot of group rides, but I do enjoy riding in fundraisers where most cyclists are on road bikes.
If this is a big concern than I would suggest you have two bikes. For me I really don't care what others think but then again I am old and can be considered a grumpy old man so I get away with a lot. Seriously though if you want to ride a road bike with the road guys then you will need to keep one of them in your stable and consider a allaround for the rest of your time. For me, the top end flat bar/Hybrid bikes are so sophisticated these days that anyone that looks down there nose at them is uninformed. Get what you want and just go have fun and ride.
Frank.
Old 01-09-19, 06:53 PM
IchbinJay

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
If this is a big concern than I would suggest you have two bikes. For me I really don't care what others think but then again I am old and can be considered a grumpy old man so I get away with a lot. Seriously though if you want to ride a road bike with the road guys then you will need to keep one of them in your stable and consider a allaround for the rest of your time. For me, the top end flat bar/Hybrid bikes are so sophisticated these days that anyone that looks down there nose at them is uninformed. Get what you want and just go have fun and ride.
Frank.
That's probably the best advice I've heard yet. I agree about the flat bars too. For some reason, I find putting my hands on the metal close to the stem very comfortable and efficient. I used to do this a lot when my only ride was a single speed mountain bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.