Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Newlock bike alarm

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-18, 10:51 AM
drzdave58

Bikes: Ruff custom build..Electra mulholland 3i..vanmoof S3..1947rollfast...felt happy hour..focus planet..Dahon curve d3 41 Schwinn custom..Moulton tsr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Newlock bike alarm

I just picked up a newlock bike cable lock with alarm off amazon for $39.99....so far I’m likin it...bit of a learning curve but not that hard to use once u do it a few times...the alarm will wake the dead...if someone messes with your bike in the middle of the night you will know about it..good product for the price I think...
anyone else have one?
Old 10-26-18, 02:53 PM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
That Nuvending cable lock looks nice.

Good luck w/ that security.
Old 10-26-18, 08:15 PM
drzdave58

Bikes: Ruff custom build..Electra mulholland 3i..vanmoof S3..1947rollfast...felt happy hour..focus planet..Dahon curve d3 41 Schwinn custom..Moulton tsr

Lock

Originally Posted by wingless
That Nuvending cable lock looks nice.

Good luck w/ that security.
well...I’m not relying just on the alarm lock...I also put another cable lock on it as well...Plus...i don’t really leave the bike unattended anywhere for very long...I figure the alarm could mainly help if someone manages to break into my garage in the middle of the night....it would surely wake me...
Old 10-26-18, 09:16 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I tried all the bike alarms I could find, probably over ten years ago. I don't use one any more. You can put your hand or a rag over the alarm and make it quiet.
If that is a plastic case, a hammer or a rock can break it with one good hit. If that's a metal case I think it might be secure enough to make some noise before it gets smashed. I had one similar to that with a metal case, but no vibration sensor. I would love to hear how it works after you have owned it for a while.
When locking it make sure that the alarm box is held a long way from the ground. On the ground makes it easier to smash with something or to put a bolt cutter on the ground so you can put all your body weight on it. If the garage is connected to the house, get a dog. Any kind as long as they would bark at a odd sound in the garage, It worked for me.
Old 10-27-18, 06:38 AM
drzdave58

Lock

the casing is steel...but I suppose if the thief is prepared a good hit with a hammer to the alarm itself may silence it...not sure...this device probably will only deter less sophisticated thieves...like the grab and dash types...
Old 10-27-18, 01:29 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I lost a very nice bike to theft. Somebody broke my car window and pulled the bike out while I was in the bathroom on a road trip. My girlfriend at the time was a few hundred feet from the car, and it's happened too quickly for her to get there in time. He got on the bike and pedalled off.

Anything you can do to make it harder to steal a bike will help. When you "park," hit both shifters and don't pedal, so the bike will jam if somebody tried to jump on and dash. Take the front wheel off and out the lock through it too.
Old 10-29-18, 11:27 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
A cable cutter goes through cables like this in the way a pair of scissors goes through a sheet of paper.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 11-04-18, 05:47 PM
superpletch
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
A cable cutter goes through cables like this in the way a pair of scissors goes through a sheet of paper.
the alarm lock I have, which looks similar, will sound the alarm if cable is cut and continuity is disrupted. I know any lock can be defeated and bike stolen, but hopefully it will slow a thief down. I usually use my alarm lock in conjunction with a strong u-lock and don't leave bike unattended for very long. I also lock my bikes in my house hoping that the intense sounding alarm will alert me so I can grab a weapon and defend my family and home.
Old 04-06-19, 12:38 AM
Roman Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And I bought an ordinary Wordlock Inc CL-411-BK 10mm 5 'Black Bike Lock on Amazon. I do not see the meaning
Old 04-10-19, 07:41 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
First this which is lightning fast.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I lost a very nice bike to theft. Somebody broke my car window and pulled the bike out while I was in the bathroom on a road trip. My girlfriend at the time was a few hundred feet from the car, and it's happened too quickly for her to get there in time. He got on the bike and pedalled off.
Then it disappears this fast.

Originally Posted by superpletch
the alarm lock I have, which looks similar, will sound the alarm if cable is cut and continuity is disrupted. I know any lock can be defeated and bike stolen, but hopefully it will slow a thief down. I usually use my alarm lock in conjunction with a strong u-lock and don't leave bike unattended for very long. I also lock my bikes in my house hoping that the intense sounding alarm will alert me so I can grab a weapon and defend my family and home.
You alarm makes you feel good but is probably next to worthless while it's sitting on the ground making noise and your bike is long gone. Bike thieves are amazingly fast especially when it comes to cables.

J.
Old 04-22-19, 01:40 AM
DustyBF

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I already had a lock with an alarm but I't didn't help when the bike disappeared right from in front of my house...
Old 04-23-19, 06:53 AM
Kedish

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Unfortunately it wont matter how good any lock is, all you are buying is time. I could see the alarm as a deterrent, but if a bike thief wants the bike badly enough, nothing will stop him from getting it.
Old 04-24-19, 03:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Cheap locks are of no use. They tend to be the most expensive locks because they easily equal a new bike and a very happy thief. Thieves love the easy targets and with cables it is the easiest and a lot of u-locks and chain locks that are given top ratings by the company that makes them are also of poor quality or are just heavy and not really all that secure. We broke through a 12mm Schlage/Kryptonite chain with two sledgehammer blows quite recently and it was their most secure chain and quite expensive and ended up deciding not to purchase any of those. Sure money back is all well and good but honestly I prefer keeping my bike.

The only lock company I trust is ABUS. They own their own factories and build their own machines and use virgin steel that they specially temper and harden. They are not owned by anyone but themselves and they produce the finest quality locks out there. Plenty of people match them in price but if you cannot match the quality and security you are not doing anyone justice. They make high security locks for cyclists and home security but also for U.S. Nuclear Submarines (which generally would be a contract that would need to go to a U.S. company) which need some seriously special keys and security (not saying I support the program just mentioning it).

A lock has to be well tested and little graphics that say "sold secure" or ART "gold" or whatever don't mean much. To test a lock you have to throughly test it to beyond the limits and go through everything not just it can withstand a picking attack for 30 seconds or it can be hit with a hammer 5 times and survive which is what a lot of these sticker tests are. Anyone can make a lock that can survive a known test and make it to that test so it passes and gets a sticker but if it cannot go beyond that and survive other attacks is it any good?

If you are interested in an alarm lock there is the ABUS Bordo Alarm 6000. It is 100db and hard to disable without getting into the lock which is not easy. That part at the top not a speaker but at least you spent your time breaking it, it is their for looks which adds to the security. It is not their highest security but it can be keyed alike to other locks so you can get a cafe/frame lock (assuming you have the mounts) or you can get u-locks and other folding locks as well as padlocks and battery locks for e-bikes all with one key. They also make a ton of other great locks in varying security levels but all of quality.

Also part of locking is practicing good locking practices so making sure you have a stable sturdy post that you cannot lift the bike over and that you use as much of the lock as possible in order to prevent prying attacks and don't leave it near places where thieves know someone is gone from their bike for a long period, like around subway stations. Using multiple locks isn't bad but certainly using multiple low quality locks doesn't help much. However truthfully you are really buying time and any lock can be defeated given enough time and the right conditions. However of course making it more difficult and timely for them will help quite a bit.