Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Finally found a tire

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Finally found a tire

Old 02-14-19, 11:14 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
Finally found a tire

So, my fat bike is a no name chinese made frame with a decent component set. Anyway, It came with the CST BFT 26" X 4" tires. Basically, one of the cheapest tires on the market. They are not bad, but I get a thorn puncture half the times I go out. When I was ready to replace the tires, I wanted to go with the Schwalbe Jumbo Jims. Had to order online, when they came in, mounted, put on the bike and... the knobs were hitting the chain stay. It seems that my bike can fit at a max a tire width of 4" (104mm) and the Jims with the knobs were wider than that. So, I spent the last 6 months trying to find a tire that would fit, meanwhile patching tubes after rides.
Finally, found the Surly Knard 26" X 3.8". With fingers crossed, Ordered. They just came in, mounted and........they fit perfect!

Quite the relief, as I was seriously considering buying a new fatty if these tires did not work out
Old 03-24-19, 07:48 AM
MarcusT

To continue: I was able to take the Surly tires out for a ride, went with a friend who has a 29er MTB.
I can say the the Knards are 10 times better than my old tires. With the old tires, going uphill was like pushing a wheel barrow uphill, and I detested anything with an incline. The Surlys were so cooperative I was able to keep up with the MTB on the up and was passing him on the down hills without pedaling.

Great tire!
Old 03-29-19, 12:40 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
What tyre pressures were you using for the original tyres, and is it different to the pressures you’re using for the new tyres?

I’m just surprised that you were getting so many punctures. Did you check the inside of the old tyres to ensure that nothing sharp was felt?
Old 05-20-19, 06:48 AM
iCollector

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
try the big Knards.... awesome!
Old 05-20-19, 09:58 PM
MarcusT

Originally Posted by taz777
What tyre pressures were you using for the original tyres, and is it different to the pressures you’re using for the new tyres?

I’m just surprised that you were getting so many punctures. Did you check the inside of the old tyres to ensure that nothing sharp was felt?
The old tires are the cheapest you can find: CST BFT. It was a new puncture every time. I ride pressure from 8 to 15psi. Some tires were just not meant to resist thorns