Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek FX Thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek FX Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-19, 05:26 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by OhLylo
I'm thinking about adding bar end grips for more hand positions. But I'll lose my mirror as a result, which stinks when commuting on busy roads. I guess I could get a helmet mounted mirror, though. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna upgrade my tires, brakes, and saddle over the weekend, at any rate, and I think I'm about due to pull the fenders off for the season. I guess I just wanna go faster and be more comfortable! I'm thinking Brooks B-17 saddle, KoolStop cartridge brakes, and maybe Conti GP4000S II tires in 700x28 (down from current factory Bontrager stuff in 700x32). Thoughts?
You can use bar ends and still keep a mirror. I have Ergon GP3 grips with a Mirrycle mirror on one bike and I have a mirror just like this one on another bike. Both mirrors are 100% compatible with most bar end styles.
Old 03-31-19, 05:11 PM
grayslaker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Spring is here

Happy to ride around the town. As long as mercury stays above 35

Drain that swamp ☺️
Likes For grayslaker:
Old 04-01-19, 11:12 AM
OhLylo

Bikes: FX3 Frankenbike, Emonda SL5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
You can use bar ends and still keep a mirror. I have Ergon GP3 grips with a Mirrycle mirror on one bike and I have a mirror just like this one on another bike. Both mirrors are 100% compatible with most bar end styles.
Oh yeah? I have a Mirrycle as well, but I have the weird Bontrager isozone bars that required a special Mirrycle for it to fit. I wonder if that'll still work.
Old 04-07-19, 07:38 PM
MidSouthBiker

Bikes: Mr.White Mr.Green Mr.Orange

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I test rode an FX3 yesterday at the local bike shop. I decided to take advantage of the TrekFest Sale and get $50.00 off. They didn't have it in Viper Red, so I ordered one. It should be in Friday.
Old 04-12-19, 01:55 PM
csrpenfab

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
FYI for those of you with the Trek TLR wheels on your hybrids. After 2,200 miles on the stock Bontrager AW2 tires on my Trek FSX6, it was time to go full tubeless! Perfect timing with the Trek sale going on, so I dropped about $150 on new TLR tires, TLR rim strips, and valves. I completed the conversion today and it all went very well. No leaks, no issues. I'll report back after I get some miles on the new tubeless set up. I detailed it more in this post: https://www.bikeforums.net/20881928-post1238.html

If your Bontrager wheels say "TLR" you should be all set, but you will need to strip the old rim tape off and pop in the appropriate TLR rim strip, and the appropriate Presta valve. I highly recommend the Kool-Stop tire jack tool. Best $12 I've ever spent and I can't imagine how I'd have gotten these tight tubeless tires on the wheel without that tool and a fair amount of elbow grease.
Old 04-12-19, 02:23 PM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by csrpenfab
FYI for those of you with the Trek TLR wheels on your hybrids. After 2,200 miles on the stock Bontrager AW2 tires on my Trek FSX6, it was time to go full tubeless! Perfect timing with the Trek sale going on, so I dropped about $150 on new TLR tires, TLR rim strips, and valves. I completed the conversion today and it all went very well. No leaks, no issues. I'll report back after I get some miles on the new tubeless set up. I detailed it more in this post: https://www.bikeforums.net/20881928-post1238.html

If your Bontrager wheels say "TLR" you should be all set, but you will need to strip the old rim tape off and pop in the appropriate TLR rim strip, and the appropriate Presta valve. I highly recommend the Kool-Stop tire jack tool. Best $12 I've ever spent and I can't imagine how I'd have gotten these tight tubeless tires on the wheel without that tool and a fair amount of elbow grease.
Good reminder on the TrekFest sale, it ends on the 15th. I might pick up the new Bontrager R3 tires and put them on my flatbar Madone. I currently run 23c tires on them, so I will go up to 25c and see if they will fit.
Old 04-12-19, 02:40 PM
csrpenfab

Originally Posted by finch204
Good reminder on the TrekFest sale, it ends on the 15th. I might pick up the new Bontrager R3 tires and put them on my flatbar Madone. I currently run 23c tires on them, so I will go up to 25c and see if they will fit.
Yes, 20% off all Bontrager stuff through Sunday!
Old 04-13-19, 06:57 PM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 5001craig
Maybe pics will work now.

Here my bike is the day I picked her up. Also got my Thule rack the same time. It was like Christmas. Lol.

Here's my grips. Had to remove an interior collar and order the Trek accessory kit previously mentioned for them to work. Love the Dremel. These give me a some alternative hand positions so my hands don't go numb. Really just need to use my stomach muscles to take some weight off my hands. Got some Ortlieb accessory bags on her now. Need to take some pics of them.

And here's the wife's FX4.

We're LOVING these bikes. They are amazing and I feel privileged to be able to purchase them. Years ago when I was into bikes something like this was only a pipe dream. And now we can buy them.

Summit City in Ft Wayne, Small world
Old 04-14-19, 07:21 AM
Mtl01

Bikes: Domane AL5, FX 2

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 21 Posts
Nice bike. Just got a new FX2 myself and have been riding all weekend (weather finally cooperating a bit here in the great white north, lol).

The guy at the bike shop said that the FX3 had a carbon fork that absorbed bumps a bit better. Is that an accurate statement?
Old 04-14-19, 01:30 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtl01
The guy at the bike shop said that the FX3 had a carbon fork that absorbed bumps a bit better. Is that an accurate statement?
Yes, it is.
Old 04-14-19, 02:42 PM
Mtl01

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Yes, it is.
The price difference was around $300. (Cdn) to go with the FX3. I was tempted for sure. Hope I don't regret not going with that model. I guess I can always upgrade down the road, lol.
Old 04-15-19, 09:13 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
The price difference was around $300. (Cdn) to go with the FX3. I was tempted for sure. Hope I don't regret not going with that model. I guess I can always upgrade down the road, lol.
If you never had it, you will not know you want it or need it. Trust me. I got FX2 and put on a lot of km each and every week commuting and just riding. I dont care that it does not have carbon fork.
Old 04-15-19, 11:21 AM
Mtl01

Originally Posted by crazyravr
If you never had it, you will not know you want it or need it. Trust me. I got FX2 and put on a lot of km each and every week commuting and just riding. I dont care that it does not have carbon fork.
Ya, that's a good point.

There are so many choices, options, etc. to look at when buying a bike. It can be a bit overwhelming TBH. I had a general sense of what I was looking for and the price range. Very happy with the FX2. Nicest bike I ever owned by a longshot, lol.
Old 04-15-19, 11:22 AM
csrpenfab

Two rides down now and 60+ miles on the new tubeless set up on my FXS6. Why didn’t I convert sooner! The ride quality and grip is so much better with the tubeless set up. I did 30 miles of gravel today and ran 50psi. They still rolled great and had plenty of traction. If you’ve got Trek TLR wheels on your FX, I’d highly recommend this upgrade. Nice 30 mile gravel ride today around the Prado Basin wetland preserve ponds.

Old 04-15-19, 07:17 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Ya, that's a good point.

There are so many choices, options, etc. to look at when buying a bike. It can be a bit overwhelming TBH. I had a general sense of what I was looking for and the price range. Very happy with the FX2. Nicest bike I ever owned by a longshot, lol.
If you are worried about ride quality, you could increase your tyre width a bit.
Old 04-16-19, 07:04 AM
Mtl01

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
If you are worried about ride quality, you could increase your tyre width a bit.
The bike came with 700x35 tires which I thought was a good width.

I looked at the Verve 2 disk as well which had 700x45 tires and had suspension in the seat post. It was a bit heavier than the FX2 and was more expensive (I think some of the other components were different too).

The salesman explained that the FX3 came with a carbon fiber fork which absorbed the bumps better than the alloy fork on the FX2. The streets in the Montreal area are really crappy with tons of cracks and potholes. I really didn't want a bike with suspension but maybe I should have considered it, lol.

So far, I'm very happy with the ride quality of the FX2.
Old 04-22-19, 12:23 AM
LesG

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
Has Trek dropped the FX Sport 6 from the lineup? I've been going back and forth about getting one but wanted to see if maybe they'd come out with a 1X chainring model for 2020. Just left the Trek website and the FX6 is no where to be found.
Old 04-22-19, 07:41 AM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LesG
Has Trek dropped the FX Sport 6 from the lineup? I've been going back and forth about getting one but wanted to see if maybe they'd come out with a 1X chainring model for 2020. Just left the Trek website and the FX6 is no where to be found.
I think there's just something wrong with their site. It is only listing 3 models right now for their FX line, which doesn't make sense at all. I also just saw a Trek FX S6 at the Trek store two weekends ago, so they are still selling them.
Old 04-22-19, 09:38 AM
csrpenfab

Originally Posted by LesG
Looks like the website is working now: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black

Not sure if they'll go to a 1x set up for 2020 since the 2019 had a lot of new upgrades already. I will tell you that the 2x11 Shimano 105 set up on my 2019 FXS6 works very well!
Old 04-22-19, 11:02 AM
LesG

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
Great, glad to see it's back. Trek probably won't go 1X with it. That was just a wish list sort of thing for me. I'd be happy with the current 2X setup. Thing is I won't be getting one for few months. The government gave us a nasty surprise. We knew we were going to owe them money at tax filing time but it ended up being way more than we anticipated. Need to recuperate from that first.
Old 04-26-19, 09:47 AM
grayslaker

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice!! What saddle is that?

Originally Posted by csrpenfab
Two rides down now and 60+ miles on the new tubeless set up on my FXS6. Why didn’t I convert sooner! The ride quality and grip is so much better with the tubeless set up. I did 30 miles of gravel today and ran 50psi. They still rolled great and had plenty of traction. If you’ve got Trek TLR wheels on your FX, I’d highly recommend this upgrade. Nice 30 mile gravel ride today around the Prado Basin wetland preserve ponds.

Old 04-26-19, 01:23 PM
csrpenfab

Originally Posted by grayslaker
Nice!! What saddle is that?
The saddle is a Brooks Cambium C17 All weather “Carved” (with the taint cut out). Took a few rides to adjust, but far superior to the Bontrager Montrose saddle that came stock.
Old 04-27-19, 02:20 PM
MidSouthBiker

Bikes: Mr.White Mr.Green Mr.Orange

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by livedarklions
If you want to upgrade the pedals, I can tell you that the Raceface Chesters fit that bike perfectly, and all the colors go with black.

I rode 100 miles on my FX 3 yesterday and the previous Sunday. It's a great bike, enjoy!
Originally Posted by TrekFX3
Thanks again for the info on the Race Face Chesters.
I picked some up today, and they are far better than the stock pedals, and you are right about the color match..
These look amazing..

Cheers and happy trails
Thanks guys for suggesting those Race Face Chesters. I upgraded from the stock pedals on my brand new FX3, and they arrived yesterday. They have great grip, and now my shoes aren't slipping.
Old 04-28-19, 05:50 PM
ToppDogg

Bikes: 2023 Trek Checkpoint SL5, 2019 Jamis Renegade, 2018 Trek FX2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
I'm happy to say I've joined the ranks of the above today.

2019 Trek FX 2 Disc.

Old 04-29-19, 09:52 PM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Hi everyone. I hope everyone is enjoying the break in weather and welcoming back spring with a ride on their FX’s. I have mine ready to ride but I am going to wait for a nice weekend morning before I take it for a spin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.