Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How do you carry your phone while riding?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How do you carry your phone while riding?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-18, 01:27 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
@masch, I have a Quad Lock case which has the fitting built in. Nothing is glued onto my case. You can get a glue-on adapter if Quad Lock doesn't have a case for your phone. Some glues work more than adequately.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-10-18, 01:41 PM
masch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@masch, I have a Quad Lock case which has the fitting built in. Nothing is glued onto my case. You can get a glue-on adapter if Quad Lock doesn't have a case for your phone. Some glues work more than adequately.
Yeah, they don't have a case for me. I am using a Samsung Note. They require a glue-on adapter, and I've had too many bad experiences with chemical solutions on mechanical problems.
Old 12-10-18, 01:51 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Coastal I bought a waterproof bag with a couple of pockets that are also waterproof (Coastal Oregon) The one with the phone is held on with strong velcro. It works great. Its here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Itvelcros on very securely to the handlebars and the bottom stem too. It holds a pretty large phone.
Old 12-10-18, 01:52 PM
Freqman1

Bikes: Bunches

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
A phone while riding? That's a novel idea! Usually I'm trying to escape all that. Besides the person that finds my beat up carcass will probably have a phone anyway. V/r Shawn
Old 12-10-18, 01:59 PM
FF1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Used to mount iPhone on bars with holder. Even the ones with elastic holders managed to slip off and and I dropped phone on rides more times than I have fingers. Also lost it at night and had to use Find My Phone feature to find it face down on the black tarmac in its black case. The last time it fell off, it wasn't that lucky and shattered the screen. I was surprised it had survived that long. So, 120 bucks later, I just keep it a pocket and pull it out when I need it
Old 12-10-18, 02:04 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I was getting ready to buy into the Quadlock system, SO close, but then i got a Wahoo Bolt. My 7 Plus iPhone goes into my half frame bag, and i never pull it out during a ride any longer except to take photos. There's just no need on the routes I ride.

That $600+ phone is used for so much outside of cycling these days, I'm just glad i no longer have it exposed out front during rides.

eric/fresno, ca.
Old 12-10-18, 02:32 PM
wnl256
Fred

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp, Trek 4100, Specialized Allez Elite, Kickr Snap

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jersey pocket, usually inside a baggie (because I sweat a lot). I have a Wahoo Bolt for doing all the things that Strava would do on my phone, so I never have a desire to look at my phone while riding.

The iPhone has a nice feature that helps you locate it (provided you have turned it on). If I ever did become parted from my phone on a ride, I would probably find someone else's phone and call my wife, then ask her to use her phone to locate mine.
Old 12-10-18, 02:34 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't! I've needed a phone exactly 1 time on the bike over the last 23 years. The one time I needed it, I borrowed a friend's. I say why carry a phone year after year when you don't need it?
Old 12-10-18, 04:32 PM
Tourod

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used to use a Quad Lock on the handlebar, but my iPhone SE wasn't waterproof, so that didn't work in the rain. I also prefer a rugged Otterbox case, which can be cumbersome to use with a Quad Lock. So I now put mine in an Ortlieb handlebar bag and tie a pair of bluetooth earbuds to the rear of my helmet. I insert one in my right ear and tuck the left earbud into my jersey. This way, my left ear is completely open to hear traffic and the right earbud can be removed easily if I need to hear everything---without worries of losing the earbuds, ever. This seems a much better solution for me than the quad lock, both because it protects my phone best and allows me to easily answer calls while listening to tunes just by pressing a button on my right earbud. Love it! I highly recommend the wing-tipped sport buds. They never come out, even when zooming downhill at 40 mph+
Old 12-10-18, 05:59 PM
BikingTech

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Like others here, in my middle jersey pocket or in my saddle bag. I don't know why I carry it since I get few calls/msg, need more friends I guess. When it does ring I never hear it anyway, even vibration mode doesn't help. I guess I'm too busy trying to stay alive one the road instead of listening to the damn phone.
Old 12-10-18, 07:01 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I carry my phone in a small baggie with my wallet, in my left pocket. I can access it for photos but I don't text or talk while riding. Unless I'm on the tandem, where I can ride hands-free and I keep pedaling so as to keep my captain happy.
Old 12-10-18, 07:19 PM
Bill Abbey

Bikes: CoMotion Tandem (Rohloff), Surley LHT,, Bike Friday, Specialized Vado

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quad Lock. have one on each bike. I have never ever had a phone come off. It's visible and usable. They are pretty proud of their product but it is the best I've found.
Old 12-11-18, 10:25 AM
jimmyleg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thick, plastic, REI-ish, baggie thing in center jersey pocket with license and $. After the crash horror stories I may move it to the side.
Old 12-11-18, 11:13 AM
MarcoBianchi

Bikes: Peugeot Mont Blanc . Bianchi 28c 1980. Coppi Giro di Lombardia. Vitoria Vintage 1990. Orbea Luarca 1977. Trek 950.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Henny
Fanny pack with my Glock 43, 2 reloads and a Streamlight AAA flashlight.

It works for me.
Standard or extended magazine?
Old 12-11-18, 11:46 AM
Henny

Bikes: 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcoBianchi

Pierce + 1s.

I take being responsible for my own safety serious. Hey, some of the people I put away for 20 to life are starting to get out of jail!

I don’t have enough posts yet to post a photo ( I mostly read), but I tried to post a picture of my carry rig.

Stay safe!
Old 12-11-18, 11:54 AM
Henny

Originally Posted by MarcoBianchi

Maybe in another year I’ll get 5 4 more posts!

It was kind of funny, I was going to do a post about my journey with Lyme and how bicycling was one of the things that helped me through it. I had it all typed out with photos inserted and I didn’t have enough posts! So I “X”ed out.

I was at the point I could barely walk, talk or see with Lyme. I was ready to die. I wanted to die. Through years of antibiotics and just plain stubbornness, this year I turned over 10,000 miles on my one bike in a little over two years. Yes, I know, it’s not a lot of miles, but from where I started and the fact I’m not really a bicyclist, it was a nice accomplishment.

Last edited by Henny; 12-11-18 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-12-18, 04:53 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
I keep mine in my jersey pocket SILENCED! I keep it on me out of respect for my wife and for Strava, although sometimes I wonder now that I have Apple watch. I guess I like to take pictures of my adventures too. Joe
Old 12-12-18, 09:51 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I understand not wanting to talk to people while riding a bike. I understand turning the ringer off. But having it available to make outbound calls in case of an emergency is very valuable. Several years ago, before there was a phone on nearly every person's body, a cow-orker of mine equipped his (older) kids with them without activating service on them. Cell phones without service can be used to call 911 (the emergency number in the US). I thought that was clever of him.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-12-18, 02:21 PM
LesG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
Fanny pack with my Glock 43, 2 reloads and a Streamlight AAA flashlight.

It works for me.
So you carry Tupperware Kimber Micro or Sig 938, cocked and locked and no plastic anywhere!
Old 12-12-18, 03:41 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Last night I held it in left hand, against my hood with the flash mode lighting the trail. Headlight battery died, then the backup battery died.
Old 12-12-18, 04:12 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Maybe in another year I’ll get 5 4 more posts!

It was kind of funny, I was going to do a post about my journey with Lyme and how bicycling was one of the things that helped me through it. I had it all typed out with photos inserted and I didn’t have enough posts! So I “X”ed out.

I was at the point I could barely walk, talk or see with Lyme. I was ready to die. I wanted to die. Through years of antibiotics and just plain stubbornness, this year I turned over 10,000 miles on my one bike in a little over two years. Yes, I know, it’s not a lot of miles, but from where I started and the fact I’m not really a bicyclist, it was a nice accomplishment.
Great story that we need to hear more about it!
Old 12-12-18, 06:14 PM
Henny

Originally Posted by LesG
So you carry Tupperware Kimber Micro or Sig 938, cocked and locked and no plastic anywhere!

Hey, it’s all good. Whatever works for you, and you carry.

I started shying away from SIG when I shot a 229 to destruction somewhere between 5 & 6k rounds. A buddy did the same to his. The frames cracked. My one G17 has well over 20k rounds (stopped counting 5 years ago) and only took recoil springs. Still running strong.

Im not really a fan of any brand of firearm. For the most part, I like anything that goes “bang”.
Old 12-12-18, 09:42 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Zippered bento box on the mutt (my general purpose bike). On my road bike I put it either in a side jersey pocket or, if I'm wearing MTB/touring shorts, in a zippered thigh pocket.
Old 12-12-18, 10:14 PM
LesG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
Henry, just messin' with you. No harm intended. Glad you didn't take it wrong.
Old 12-13-18, 12:43 PM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon T
I keep mine in its case in the middle jersey pocket. Never have had any problems but the phone is a lot smaller than the pocket.
Jon
wallet and phone (in case) in center jersey pocket.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.