Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Feeling guilty about a new bike

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Feeling guilty about a new bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-19, 06:02 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'd tell my wife that a new bike is cheaper than a Porsche or a mistress.
Old 04-09-19, 06:15 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by nesdog
...I do ride several thousand miles a year...
Several thousand miles a year? That takes some self-discipline and commitment. In my book that alone makes you deserving of a nice bike, irrespective of retirement.

For 27 years I've been bike commuting to work 3-4 days a week with one or two longer rides a weekend. Four years ago my wife told me to go buy a new commuter bike to my liking. I got exactly what I wanted, although I did get a deal. Bottom line...I love bike commuting even more now.

If you know what you want, and it feels right in all other ways except money, and you can do the money...buy it! You deserve it.
Old 04-09-19, 07:16 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Reward myself for 40 years in the work force.

But this nags at me. Is it really worthwhile to do this for an improved frame, probably a pound of savings, some brake advantages and fancy shifting? .
This would be a trophy for yourself. You don't justify it with performance or ambitious goals, you justify it by knowing it's something you will love and you've earned.

Enjoy, and post some photos.
Old 04-09-19, 07:31 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by phuntley
My brother unexpectedly passed away last October, at only 61. I'm 60. I did wait for Spring, but I knew I wasn't going to wait another riding season. Life IS precious, and how much you have time you have to get that bike is never guaranteed. And of course, you DO deserve it - so let us know how it works out for you!
This. Thank you for offering some perspective.

I am sorry for your loss, that's awful.
Old 04-09-19, 07:32 PM
nesdog

Originally Posted by caloso
I'd tell my wife that a new bike is cheaper than a Porsche or a mistress.
I didn't realize I actually had some choices. I thought it was just about the bike!
Old 04-09-19, 07:33 PM
phuntley
Cavemaster

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp-Ultegra Di2

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This. Thank you for offering some perspective.

I am sorry for your loss, that's awful.
Thanks for that, it was much tougher than I ever thought it would be, Of course, I thought it would be another 20-30 yrs.
Old 04-09-19, 07:39 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
do it. you can afford it and you only live once
Old 04-10-19, 04:40 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
But this nags at me. Is it really worthwhile to do this for an improved frame, probably a pound of savings, some brake advantages and fancy shifting? I do ride several thousand miles a year so it's not like it will just sit in the garage. Yeah, I know it won't really make me faster.
You should realize some tangible performance benefits with the new bike, especially if the fit is perfect, which is critical.

Electronic shifting really allows you to shift at any time with minimal finesse required. I have mechanical Ultegra 11-speed on existing bikes. Most shifts were fast enough, but using the shifters while standing was never perfectly smooth or reliable. When I switched to electronic shifting, it became possible to drop from the big chainring to the small chainring anytime, I don't have to reduce my effort or cadence. Going up and down the cassette is also much easier while standing, no finesse involved, just perfect shifts every time. I have found that shifting at-will while climbing is a huge benefit. I can select the perfect gear and stay in my target cadence range while making a 100% effort.

The carbon wheelset also improved performance. Mine are 45mm deep and 27mm wide which really improves aerodynamics over my previous wheelsets. They are also lighter than the alloy wheelset I had been using. Accelerating in the 18-30mph range is now easier than before and holding higher speeds for longer periods is possible. I'm fitting a wide 700x25 tire that measures 27mm wide. Ride comfort is improved with wide rim, which improves air volume compared to a more narrow rim.

Finally, the frameset. Most modern framesets have improved the stiffness where it matters without a ride comfort penalty. Aerodynamics of the frameset will also be improved, providing more speed from the same power.

Each one of these improvements is subtle, but when combined, they add up to a real and measurable improvement. I would venture that the new bike will feel remarkably faster. Just be sure that the fit is ideal for you.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 04-10-19 at 05:07 AM.
Old 04-10-19, 05:56 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Do it! You deserve it. When I retired, I went out and bought a new Saab convertible and kept and enjoyed it for 20 years!
in the meantime, I’ve bought several bikes and tandems. Go for it and enjoy retirement! You only live once.
Old 04-10-19, 05:58 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
forum policy mandates no guilt for cycling purchases. Violators will be banned.
+1
Old 04-10-19, 06:00 AM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Guilt is an unproductive emotion. Follow your heart.
Old 04-10-19, 06:30 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
We just might be "twin sons of different mothers"! I have the same problem-not so much with bikes, but with guitars. But, as you most likely ride better, and more often than I play guitar, I'd say GO FOR IT!! (If I was better at guitar, there's one absolutely beautiful one I've seen lately, but won't spend the $$$$ for).
Old 04-10-19, 08:01 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
Ask yourself what you will think on your deathbed:

If you are going to regret buying that bike, don't buy it.

If you are going to regret never buying the bike, definitely buy it.

If you aren't going to care one way or the other, buy it.

Oh, and do something nice for your wife too.

Old 04-10-19, 09:28 AM
frogbiscuit

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Cannondale Catalyst, Diamond Back Extreme TG, Schwinn Mesa Runner with an 88cc 2 stroke engine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
My wife puts it in terms of new Louis Vuitton purses, which go for about $2k. I say I want a new bike, she says "how many Louies will that cost?"

Which basically means that any bike purchase the cost is automatically doubled.
Old 04-11-19, 10:45 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I can afford the financial hit. It won't change anything about our retirement spreadsheets. My wife said "Just don't tell me what it cost." Fair enough.
There's your answer.

If you don't buy the bike, what are you going to do with that money? Leave it for the kids? If your kids wouldn't approve of a simple extravagance just to make you happy, they don't deserve the money when you go.
Old 04-11-19, 11:40 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
You should realize some tangible performance benefits with the new bike, especially if the fit is perfect, which is critical...............
The ONLY BENEFIT that I require is that a bike MAKES ME FEEL HAPPY when I ride it.
Old 04-11-19, 12:00 PM
nesdog

Aha....got my tax return back from the CPA. We have a nice refund coming. So, in theory, I can just say I'm putting some of that towards the bike!

Got some good feedback here. (well, what did I expect anyway?! Post a question like this on a bike forum and I'm shocked! shocked! to see that posters support my issue!)

Seriously, though, it's myself I have to convince and you are all playing a part in banishing my doubts. Hoping to get over to the LBS today for a test ride.
Old 04-11-19, 08:48 PM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Buy quality and keep it for years. Life is too short to ride a bike that's 'just OK'.
The way I justify cost: Look at the utility cost, not the purchase cost. so if you're going to ride a custom $5,000 bike for 10 years, then you're utility cost is $500/year. Not really that expensive that way, and considering how health gains, fun, adventure & quality time we get from riding, it's an excellent value.
Old 04-11-19, 09:06 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 3,027 Posts
Buy it
Old 04-12-19, 01:14 AM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
If you can afford it, buy it.
Old 04-12-19, 06:33 AM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
What are you waiting for? Go get a new bike!
Old 04-12-19, 06:50 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Guilt is the appropriate response to a moral failure.

Buying a nice bike (the scenario the OP described) doesn't contain a moral component, unless there's something he hasn't said about what else he might have done with the money instead.

If the OP believes that there is a higher purpose for that money, then he should do that.
Old 04-12-19, 07:22 AM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Take out "bike" and substitute "bass guitar" and you describe my identical dilemma as I retired. And for about the same cost. Fretted for months over it (ironically, because it's a fretless bass)
Regrets?
NONE!
best money I ever spent. Love that baby every time I pick it up, which is pretty much every day.
So I'm betting you'll amortize your cost with pleasure every time you hop on that bike.
Old 04-12-19, 09:31 AM
nesdog

Yesterday afternoon, I took the bike out for a test ride. I rode to the shop on my 4.3 so I'd have an easier comparison; both frames are identical in geometry.

Notes: smoother than mine, the SLR sports 28's vs my 25's. Bars are upgraded and IsoSpeed front and rear. A bit more muted for sure.
Front end felt lighter and more responsive.
Brakes were way better than my rim model. I couldn't believe how much worse mine felt when I rode home afterwards. Did think the discs need some tuning as the braking wasn't linear and felt spotty.
32 cog rear pretty handy as we live in an area with tons of climbs, definitely a notch up from my 30.
Electronics were okay, first time I've tried them. I suppose using the buttons over levers will matter when I've aged and my hands don't work anymore!
Reach to the shifters a tad longer than I like but I suspect that is adjustable. My 4.3 also has a 90mm stem, not sure what this model had.
Assuming I go this way, will have to decide between all white or the red Trek racing colors.

I do Saturday shop rides with a different LBS that features BMC, Pinarello and Spec....more expensive top line stuff. Will check out their models over the weekend as well as see if I have any interest in the C'Dale line.
Old 04-12-19, 09:53 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
You will get used to electronic shifting very quickly. Once you do, you will never go back to mechanical. I like to get in an aero position and rest my hands on the horns....shifting can be done with my pinky without moving my hands (and I do not have big hands).

When you say reach to the shifters are a tad long, do you mean your reach in general or the levers you press to make a shift?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.