Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

53 Churchill / Hercules 3 speed hub

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-18, 02:26 PM
John Ebert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am working on what I think is a 53 Churchill / Hercules roadster. The head badge says Churchill but many of the parts on it say Hercules. My big question is the 3 speed hub and how to service it. Is it a Sturmey / Archer clone? Is there any service information available for these? How about parts? The hub is marked Hercules B Type 3.
I want to service the hub and bearings and want to be fully informed before tearing into it.
Any help would be appreciated.

John in Texas
Old 06-17-18, 07:35 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
According to Tony Hadland, “the author is not certain whether Hercules made their own hubs. One unconfirmed story is that they originally copied the AW but later found it cheaper to have Sturmey Archer badge engineer hubs for them....the similarity between the Hercules and Brampton changers suggests that perhaps Brampton made the Hercules three-speed”

in any event they they are not likely too different so start with an AW diagram and carefully start taking things apart and comparing!
Old 06-18-18, 08:04 AM
John Ebert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markk900
According to Tony Hadland, “the author is not certain whether Hercules made their own hubs. One unconfirmed story is that they originally copied the AW but later found it cheaper to have Sturmey Archer badge engineer hubs for them....the similarity between the Hercules and Brampton changers suggests that perhaps Brampton made the Hercules three-speed”

in any event they they are not likely too different so start with an AW diagram and carefully start taking things apart and comparing!
OK, you through me a curve. Brampton ? I guess it's time to do more research!
John in Texas
Old 03-05-19, 02:39 AM
usarnie1

Bikes: 1936 Raleigh Sports Tourists, 1952 Raleigh, 1957 Raleigh, 1963 Raleigh Dawn Tourist, 1953 Hercules Tourist, 1953 Hercules Royal Prince, 1953 Hercules Windsor, 1958 Bianchi Sport & 1960 Bianchi Sport

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Hi John,

If you would be more comfortable with a 1953 Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub, I would trade you mine for your Hercules B type 3 three speed hub. Please advise!

Thanks,

Arnie
Old 03-05-19, 07:22 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,056 Times in 1,256 Posts
Much of what you'd like to know about the Hercules/Sturmey war can be found in this discussion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
brampton.jpg (658.2 KB, 103 views)
Old 03-05-19, 08:39 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 1,079 Times in 640 Posts
A short thread so far but already fascinating!

Old 03-11-19, 01:10 PM
John Ebert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by usarnie1
Hi John,

If you would be more comfortable with a 1953 Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub, I would trade you mine for your Hercules B type 3 three speed hub. Please advise!

Thanks,

Arnie
Arnie,
Right now this and my other projects are all on the back burner as I get a workshop built. I am going to take a pass on the trade but thank you for your kind offer.
I am more into vintage motorcycles and I am going to use the Churchill as a way to get around swap meets here in Texas and else where.
Thanks
John in Texas
Old 03-11-19, 04:59 PM
usarnie1

Bikes: 1936 Raleigh Sports Tourists, 1952 Raleigh, 1957 Raleigh, 1963 Raleigh Dawn Tourist, 1953 Hercules Tourist, 1953 Hercules Royal Prince, 1953 Hercules Windsor, 1958 Bianchi Sport & 1960 Bianchi Sport

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Hi John,

I have two 1953 Hercules bicycles. Both came with the B type 3 rear hub. One of my bikes has the Tourist head badge and the other has the Windsor head badge. Aside from the head badges and chain guards decal, the bikes are essentially the same! The Flamboyant Red is the major color with white spikes. Both bikes have all the same decals on the seat tubes down tube. I am presuming that your Churchill bike is simular! Below are some photos of the decals on the seat tube down tube and chainguard. I would like to see some photos of your bike.

Regards,

Arnie

Last edited by usarnie1; 03-11-19 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-11-19, 06:14 PM
BigChief

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Much of what you'd like to know about the Hercules/Sturmey war can be found in this discussion.
I read that all caps post and frankly, I'm not buying it. There may have been a design that was passed over in favor of a licensing agreement, some feathers might have been ruffled, but the notion that the world was deprived of some vastly superior Hercules designed 3 speed hub by some Dr. Evil villain at Sturmey Archer sounds far fetched to me. In fact, I don't think Hercules manufactured any 3 speed hubs at all. The shifter designs strongly suggest Brampton was the actual manufacturer. That post reminds me of the 100mpg carburetor the oil companies were keeping secret from us in the 70s.Dirty deeds done dirt cheap!
Old 03-11-19, 06:18 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,056 Times in 1,256 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
I read that all caps post and frankly, I'm not buying it. There may have been a design that was passed over in favor of a licensing agreement, some feathers might have been ruffled, but the notion that the world was deprived of some vastly superior Hercules designed 3 speed hub by some Dr. Evil villain at Sturmey Archer sounds far fetched to me. In fact, I don't think Hercules manufactured any 3 speed hubs at all. The shifter designs strongly suggest Brampton was the actual manufacturer. That post reminds me of the 100mpg carburetor the oil companies were keeping secret from us in the 70s.Dirty deeds done dirt cheap!
Well, I'm just the messenger here. I get what your saying but really what good is a conspiracy theory if you can't talk about it.

The all caps thing does suggest rabies shots may be in order.
Old 03-12-19, 06:14 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
The all caps thing does suggest rabies shots may be in order.
That made my day.....