Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike pic mission game, if anyone wants to play.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike pic mission game, if anyone wants to play.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-20, 07:37 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji

So Stuart - You're up to set the next mission
Let’s go with architecture. And let’s make it a little harder. Two pictures. I want to see bikes in front of an Art Deco building and an Art Moderne building. If you don’t know the difference, look it up!
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 02-09-20 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-09-20, 07:55 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Ha, Ha. Looks like it could also be titled "Looking Far Out, Man."

It’s called “Communicating with the Maternal Cloud” (or something similar) but, to me, it looks like a Belousov-Zhabotinsky reaction which I’ve only done a couple of times about 40 years ago for a class demonstration. The article I used came from an old (at the time) Scientific American article.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-10-20, 07:04 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Let’s go with architecture. And let’s make it a little harder. Two pictures. I want to see bikes in front of an Art Deco building and an Art Moderne building. If you don’t know the difference, look it up!
Art Deco I have no problem with, as like 75% of buildings in Riga center fall under this style, but it gets trickier with Art Moderne... I'll see what I can do.

Edit: sorry, I confused Art Deco and Art Noveau - the latter is what we have in spades, but Art Deco isn't too hard to find either.

Last edited by subgrade; 02-10-20 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-10-20, 08:02 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by subgrade
Art Deco I have no problem with, as like 75% of buildings in Riga center fall under this style, but it gets trickier with Art Moderne... I'll see what I can do.

Edit: sorry, I confused Art Deco and Art Noveau - the latter is what we have in spades, but Art Deco isn't too hard to find either.
Art Deco is usually easy to find. Art Moderne may be easier than you think as it is often hiding in plain sight.

Old 02-10-20, 08:09 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Art Deco is usually easy to find. Art Moderne may be easier than you think as it is often hiding in plain sight.
I think one is hiding in plain sight in this very thread. But I may have counted wrong.

-mr. bill
Old 02-10-20, 08:38 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Unless you're counting one of those Airstream trailers, I'm not seeing any Art Moderne in here.

I'd have to slow-roll the streets to find something Deco or Streamline over in Redlands, I know I've seen some bungalows in each style... but where?

I've ridden those streets hundreds of times, and can't even narrow it down mentally. Like.. anywhere in a 5 mile radius.
Old 02-10-20, 11:19 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Unless you're counting one of those Airstream trailers, I'm not seeing any Art Moderne in here.

I'd have to slow-roll the streets to find something Deco or Streamline over in Redlands, I know I've seen some bungalows in each style... but where?

I've ridden those streets hundreds of times, and can't even narrow it down mentally. Like.. anywhere in a 5 mile radius.
I'd probably have to ride at lest 75 miles away to start the search, or maybe if I spend a day in the library or on the Internet I might be able to find a closer suitable location to complete this mission, think I'll have to wait this one out.
Old 02-10-20, 11:53 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
I respectfully disagree with this. Old pics should not count.
I will quote my first post. The intent of the game is to take pics when on a bike ride. The point of the game is to take a ride, take a pic. I don't want to be a stickler for rules and all that and I don't think we should go back and change anyones submission. But really pics in your garage, driveway, or old pics are outside of the intent of the game.

From my first post:

"If anyone wants to play a bike riding and picture game with me, it goes like this, You pick a noteworthy thing to be in the pic along with your bike. And whoever posts the first pic adhering to that, gets to pick the next mission. Like if someone said, take a pic of your bike and a wood pole, I would post this pic. And now that I posted that pic, I get to choose the next mission. So I say a pic of your bike with a red house. And anyone else out there riding can post a pic of your bike and a red house anywhere in the pic. Then you say what you want next...... It should be something attainable for someone on a bike. Like saying the Grand Canyon and your bike might be hard for some of us. LOL. Although there may be some people from Arizona around here. But anyways.... So if you want to play along, lets see a pic of your bike and a red house.

Oh, and it probably needs to be a picture you go and get. Not one from your archives or in the past. That would sort of be like cheating. Although it's an honor system thing. I'm sure you guys and gals get the point."

I think the game explained in it's simplest form is TAKE A RIDE, TAKE A PIC of new mission. Hopefully everyone can agree on the intent of the game and the fact that old pics, or pics not outside the lot lines of your house are probably....... not the best form of art in this medium.
Likes For 3S1M:
Old 02-10-20, 02:44 PM
subgrade

Art Deco 1:

Art Deco 2:

Not really sure this counts, but my take on Art Moderne:
Likes For subgrade:
Old 02-10-20, 03:12 PM
mr_bill

-mr. bill
Old 02-10-20, 04:23 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I was going to use Hueneme Lighthouse for deco, and the Munch Box near my house for modern (all lines and angles), but you guys beat me to it plus, the Munch Box photo is a few weeks old, so these are for sharing only. I love the Rosebud diner above - what a great find!

Last edited by Slightspeed; 02-10-20 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-11-20, 02:47 AM
subgrade

Another entry for Art Moderne/Streamline Moderne - it is not the right period, but has some of the main characteristics.
Buildings of the Art Moderne style were designed to emphasise simple geometry, incorporating curving forms, long horizontal lines and occasionally nautical elements. [...]
Art Moderne buildings were typically designed in low, horizontal shapes as opposed to Art Deco’s tendency towards tall and vertical buildings. They were also usually white, whereas Art Deco buildings embraced colour. The sharp angles of Art Deco were replaced with simple, aerodynamic curves. Exotic timbers and stone were replaced with stucco, cement and glass.
Likes For subgrade:
Old 02-11-20, 08:58 AM
cyccommute 

Art Deco 1:

Art Deco 2:

Not really sure this counts, but my take on Art Moderne:
Well done! I'll take those. Next mission is up to you. Make a good one!

Old 02-11-20, 09:08 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by mr_bill

-mr. bill
Subgrade has it but I'd say yes on the first picture but no on the second. That's not fancy enough to be Art Deco.

Old 02-11-20, 09:11 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I was going to use Hueneme Lighthouse for deco, and the Munch Box near my house for modern (all lines and angles), but you guys beat me to it plus, the Munch Box photo is a few weeks old, so these are for sharing only. I love the Rosebud diner above - what a great find!

Ah, I see the problem here. It's not "modern" but "Art Moderne". Art Moderne uses curves, horizontal lines and streamlining rather then angles. It's more curvy.

Old 02-11-20, 09:21 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Ah, I see the problem here. It's not "modern" but "Art Moderne". Art Moderne uses curves, horizontal lines and streamlining rather then angles. It's more curvy.
Got it. I'm no architecture expert. I was thinking Frank Lloyd Wrightish, with lots of straight lines and angles. Couple days ago, I passed by a really cool insurance company out in Ojai, and saw a streamlined, curvy building that I wanted to photograph just because I liked it. That was before the contest. Missed opportunity.

You mean like the Coca Cola Bldg. in downtown LA? I've been there on my bike, but not today, just a nice example.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 02-11-20 at 09:29 AM.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 02-11-20, 09:35 AM
subgrade

Well done! I'll take those. Next mission is up to you. Make a good one!
Then let's see a water tower. Bonus points if it is architecturally pleasing or unconventional. Extra respect if you can get more than one in one picture!

P.S. Slightspeed I did a google search to get a better grasp on what is Art Moderne, and the Coca Cola building is one of the most famous examples
Old 02-11-20, 09:42 AM
mr_bill

Subgrade has it but I'd say yes on the first picture but no on the second. That's not fancy enough to be Art Deco.
Yeah, understood, I was a bit late. But The Somerville Theater is Art Deco. There is over the top deco and understated deco.

(I was on a fresh ravioli mission. FWIW, our most famous Art Moderne is probably the Polaroid Building. But probably my favorite Art Dunkin', er, Deco, is at Congress & High.)

-mr. bill
Old 02-11-20, 01:48 PM
Slightspeed

No water towers around here, but we have a fake water tower cell phone antenna. Full disclosure: I used this tower several days ago for a "tank" challenge, but this is a fresh picture from today, different bike even. Not a real water tower, but it sure looks like one. Here's a few shots with my '61 Legnano.

Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 02-11-20, 04:53 PM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Well since it's not a real water tower and mine is, I will assume mine passes muster.

Next mission: Retail shop that carries some kind of items that ladies like. Maybe it'll be a reminder for you guys to stop and get your SO something for Valentine's Day. Like a jewelry store, purse store... I don't know. Doesn't necessarily have to be lady specific items but you get more street cred if it is.

Admittedly I did not have to go really far to get these but it's a water tower. I go past it on my nightly ride but I figured I better get some pics during the day so a I took a special trip on the small bike.

Old 02-11-20, 05:51 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
I am too late with my entry, so I will take consolation in that my water tower picture didn't require a special trip. It is located right outside of the hospital that I ride my bike to almost every day 11miles R/T to stretch and swim in the heated pool.

Old 02-12-20, 02:02 AM
subgrade

Originally Posted by 3S1M
Well since it's not a real water tower and mine is, I will assume mine passes muster.

Next mission: Retail shop that carries some kind of items that ladies like. Maybe it'll be a reminder for you guys to stop and get your SO something for Valentine's Day. Like a jewelry store, purse store... I don't know. Doesn't necessarily have to be lady specific items but you get more street cred if it is.

Admittedly I did not have to go really far to get these but it's a water tower. I go past it on my nightly ride but I figured I better get some pics during the day so a I took a special trip on the small bike.
Yes, that will do. Nice BMX too
I'll admit I was hoping for more impressive towers, but I guess fancy water towers aren't found that easily anywhere. Here's a couple from Riga (including two in one picture):

Likes For subgrade:
Old 02-12-20, 07:41 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 330 Posts
Missus Makeup. Next: ATM

Originally Posted by 3S1M
Claiming a small increment in street cred.

All lit up. Dunno if that is all the time.

Next mission: Your bike in front of an automatic teller machine.

(Obvious follow-on, or better yet, logical precursor, to the previous mission.)
Likes For flangehead:
Old 02-12-20, 07:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Yes, that will do. Nice BMX too
I'll admit I was hoping for more impressive towers, but I guess fancy water towers aren't found that easily anywhere. Here's a couple from Riga (including two in one picture):

I grew up in Minneapolis, but now live about 1500 miles away, but they have some pretty nice water towers there:

Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-12-20, 09:36 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
Claiming a small increment in street cred.

All lit up. Dunno if that is all the time.

Next mission: Your bike in front of an automatic teller machine.

(Obvious follow-on, or better yet, logical precursor, to the previous mission.)

I've been in there, man. The prices vs. the product sizes is bonkers. 15mL bottle of concealer? $40. Insane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.