Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike pic mission game, if anyone wants to play.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike pic mission game, if anyone wants to play.

Old 02-23-20, 08:10 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 330 Posts
Critters Captured. Next: EMT

Originally Posted by Bryan C.
..Next mission: A picture of your bike with wildlife...
This mission has a high difficulty factor, so I will try to make up for the low quality with a relevant, but bike-less, local feature at the end.

Doggone point-and-shoot.. they're up there..

OK, managed to use the handlebars as a tripod and get the zoom on the P-A-S to focus. The blur on the far right is my headlight...

Why won't they stay still?

This is a classic "deer above (not in) the headlights" shot...

This was not easy. I was thinking I was going to have to park my bike overnight at the beaver dam to fulfill this mission:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2h-...ature=youtu.be

Next Mission: Your bike and an EMT (emergency medical technician) vehicle. Extra credit if the EMTs are posing with your bike. Double extra credit if the EMTs are eating donuts. (No mr_bill clause on this one.)

(A note: In my area at least, the EMTs are housed at the fire stations, and are happy to talk to a visitor. They may even talk your ear off. Since all of the followers of this thread know where their donut shop is, you might consider dropping off a box of donuts while you're at it....)

Last edited by flangehead; 02-23-20 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Fix punctuation.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 02-23-20, 08:19 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
This mission has a high difficulty factor, so I will try to make up for the low quality with a relevant, but bike-less, local feature at the end.

Doggone point-and-shoot.. they're up there..

OK, managed to use the handlebars as a tripod and get the zoom on the P-A-S to focus. The blur on the far right is my headlight...

This is a classic "deer above (not in) the headlights" shot...

This was not easy. I was thinking I was going to have to park my bike overnight at the beaver dam to fulfill this mission:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2h-...ature=youtu.be

Next Mission: Your bike and an EMT (emergency medical technician) vehicle. Extra credit if the EMTs are posing with your bike. Double extra credit if the EMTs are eating donuts. (No mr_bill clause on this one.)

(A note: In my area at least, the EMTs are housed at the fire stations, and are happy to talk to a visitor. They may even talk your ear off. Since all of the followers of this thread know where their donut shop is, you might consider dropping off a box of donuts while you're at it....}

Very nice. I had a feeling the pics may not be the greatest when trying to fulfill this mission. I'm not sure I could have done any better myself.
Likes For Bryan C.:
Old 02-23-20, 09:39 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts

Congratulations on your completion of a difficult mission. The best I could do this morning is use the frowned upon practice of using a bike parked in my backyard to snap a few pics. Sorry condition of the bike is explained away as it is a bike being saved for salvage parts before disposal. Pictures are posted for amusement purposes only.

Old 02-24-20, 01:58 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts

Next mission: LBS, Local Book Shop. Owned by a real person who lives close by. (Sorry, big box brick and mortar chain does not count.)

Bonus points if your bike is locked to a bike rack, double bonus points if you bought a book in the picture, triple bonus points if it is a book about or written by a person on a bike.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 02-24-20, 09:12 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Originally Posted by mr_bill

Next mission: LBS, Local Book Shop. Owned by a real person who lives close by. (Sorry, big box brick and mortar chain does not count.)

Bonus points if your bike is locked to a bike rack, double bonus points if you bought a book in the picture, triple bonus points if it is a book about or written by a person on a bike.

-mr. bill

Locally owned and operated. Sorry, no time to browse for a book, and no bike rack in front.

I feel bad completing another mission so quickly but I ran across this store by complete accident. This is the last locally owned bookstore in town.

Next mission: A picture with a real firefighter. If the picture is taken at an actual fire station there must be 2 or more real fire fighters in the picture.
Likes For Bryan C.:
Old 02-25-20, 07:22 AM
mr_bill

Locally owned and operated. Sorry, no time to browse for a book, and no bike rack in front.

I feel bad completing another mission so quickly but I ran across this store by complete accident. This is the last locally owned bookstore in town.

Next mission: A picture with a real firefighter. If the picture is taken at an actual fire station there must be 2 or more real fire fighters in the picture.
Mass quantities of bonus points for the truffula trees! (Oh The Places You'll Go, where a flat is just part of the adventure.)

Next mission from Bryan C.: A picture with a real firefighter. If the picture is taken at an actual fire station there must be 2 or more real fire fighters in the picture.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 02-25-20 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-25-20, 10:39 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
The deer pics were great!!!!! I thought that one would go longer than it did with the no birds clause. I only usually see dogs on my rides. LOL.
Old 02-25-20, 10:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by 3S1M
The deer pics were great!!!!! I thought that one would go longer than it did with the no birds clause. I only usually see dogs on my rides. LOL.

I almost hit an eastern coyote while driving in my car a few years ago, and at first thought it was a stray dog. Those things are huge and look very much like a big domesticated dog. Really a wolf/coyote hybrid. Looked something like this fellow:

Doubt he'd pose with a bike, however. Shot across the road so fast I reacted to him before I consciously knew what he was.
Old 02-25-20, 11:06 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by 3S1M
I only usually see dogs on my rides. LOL.
You need to get out more. I've seen four bears during bike trips between 2017 and 2019. Here are two. The first bugger was just off a trail I was riding. I coughed and frightened him. He jumped in the creek a swam across. (Notice the ripples in the water.) The second bugger I went looking for. Almost gave up when he strolled out of the woods. I let out a loud "YESSSS!" That caused him to stop, which gave me time to get out my camera.

The third was staring at me from 25' away. I thought it best not to attempt a photo since a flash would have been necessary. The fourth was a young cub that walked across my path as I was riding back to my campsite from the shower. Mom was nowhere to be seen. Had me spooked for a while. Hope the poor thing was not orphaned.

I have seen four others while riding and a another one while hanging out at Mesa Verde N.P. after riding there from Seattle.

Last edited by indyfabz; 02-25-20 at 11:10 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-25-20, 11:28 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I almost hit an eastern coyote while driving in my car a few years ago, and at first thought it was a stray dog. Those things are huge and look very much like a big domesticated dog. Really a wolf/coyote hybrid. Looked something like this fellow:

Doubt he'd pose with a bike, however. Shot across the road so fast I reacted to him before I consciously knew what he was.

Next mission from Bryan C.: A picture with a real firefighter. If the picture is taken at an actual fire station there must be 2 or more real fire fighters in the picture.

-mr. bill
Old 02-25-20, 11:32 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5fkkZFkb-s

-mr. bill
Where was that?
Old 02-25-20, 11:52 AM
mr_bill

Where was that?
They wake us up at night. That was about 3:30 am. The Eastern Coyotes follow the bunnies like the dawn follows the night.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 02-25-20 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-25-20, 12:26 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

I almost hit an eastern coyote ...
I see coyote in the same place I see deer. Two stories.

One time as I was headed along the top of the dam, I could see a coyote on one side near the top and deer grazing on the other side. He was paying attention to the deer and I got pretty close before he picked up on me and skedaddled. I don't think he would have been able to take down a healthy deer, but I could tell he was thinking about it...

I live right next to the reservoir. When I see coyotes in my neighborhood, it is inevitably early on trash collection days. Ours are big also; much bigger than the western coyotes I'm used to in WY and CO.

Last edited by flangehead; 02-25-20 at 12:28 PM. Reason: fugot to repeat mission
Likes For flangehead:
Old 02-27-20, 12:30 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Time for the Mr. Bill clause?

Starting Friday 2/28 any Fire truck will count. Bonus points for actual firefighters in the picture.
Old 02-27-20, 04:46 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Time for the Mr. Bill clause?
Maybe. Probably. I just rode 27 miles...altered my course to eventually pass fire stations in three different municipalities...and nary a firefighter was seen.

Dan
Old 02-27-20, 05:12 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Maybe. Probably. I just rode 27 miles...altered my course to eventually pass fire stations in three different municipalities...and nary a firefighter was seen.

Dan
I used to see them all the time shopping at the local grocery stores. I guess with the popularity of online shopping and delivery that doesn't happen quite as often.

I guess adding a bit of difficulty to the missions has the opposite effect and causes people to wait for the next one.

No worries really. Just have to stay creative on the missions.
Old 02-28-20, 03:55 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
I also don't feel comfortable neither with asking strangers if I can get a picture of them, nor with taking said pictures without their consent. Maybe if I could get away with doing it secretly, but having to place my bike in front of/beside them pretty much excludes that possibility.
Old 02-28-20, 04:43 AM
flangehead

Fire Truck Found. Next: All-You-Can-Eat

...Starting Friday 2/28 any Fire truck will count.

HFD

This has been a long fast and I’m ready for something cheap, quick and filling.

Next Mission: Your bike in front of an all-you-can-eat buffet or restaurant.

Last edited by flangehead; 02-28-20 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Clarify.
Old 02-28-20, 10:47 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

HFD

Nice pic! I'm surprised there wasn't anyone around the pose with your bike.
Old 02-28-20, 01:46 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
HFD

Forty years ago this was a Shaky’s Pizza

But just around the corner is a somewhat unique buffet

It’s a sushi buffet restaurant. You can order all the sushi you want but you have to eat it all. Any you don’t eat is charged by the piece.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 02-28-20 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-28-20, 01:48 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Forty years ago this was a Shaky’s Pizza

But just around the corner is a unique buffet

It’s a sushi buffet restaurant. You can order all the sushi you want but you have to eat it all. Any you don’t eat is charged by the piece.
And, just in case you need the “buffet” part, here’s another (maybe not as unique as I thought) sushi buffet

If accepted, next mission: A two parter. I want to see your bicycle in front of a neutral background and one of your bike in front of a complex background. The neutral background can be brick if the bricks are the same color but no garage doors of any kind. The complex background can be mural, graffti, garden, forest, etc. Color is important. Normal bike picture etiquette applies...i.e. drive side out.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 02-28-20 at 03:05 PM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-28-20, 07:31 PM
flangehead

Wow. All-You-Can-Eat Sushi

Originally Posted by cyccommute
And, just in case you need the “buffet” part, here’s another (maybe not as unique as I thought) sushi buffet....
Who’d a thunk it?

Very nice. Thanks for the old Shakey’s building btw; I remember them.

cyccommute’s mission: A two parter. I want to see your bicycle in front of a neutral background and one of your bike in front of a complex background. The neutral background can be brick if the bricks are the same color but no garage doors of any kind. The complex background can be mural, graffti, garden, forest, etc. Color is important. Normal bike picture etiquette applies...i.e. drive side out

(I had no idea of bike photo etiquette.,. I’m probably wearing the wrong color socks to boot....)
Old 02-29-20, 11:39 AM
Fredo_Adagio

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 53 Posts
Does anyone in this thread ever watch the GCN Tech Show on YouTube? During the Bike Vault segment, the presenters rate photos of viewers' bikes. Recommended photo guidelines include the following.

1. Always show the drivetrain side.
2. "Biggie Smalls". The chain should be on the largest chain ring and smallest cog.
3. The visible pedal should be at the 3:00 position.
4. The valve stems should be at either the 6:00 or 12:00 position.
5. The tire labels should align with the valve stems.
6. The view should not be angled.
7. Extraneous items such as water bottles and saddle bags should be removed.

Trying to conform to all that is tedious, but the guidelines are good to keep in mind.

cyccommute’s mission: A two parter. I want to see your bicycle in front of a neutral background and one of your bike in front of a complex background. The neutral background can be brick if the bricks are the same color but no garage doors of any kind. The complex background can be mural, graffti, garden, forest, etc. Color is important. Normal bike picture etiquette applies...i.e. drive side out
Old 02-29-20, 01:03 PM
Fredo_Adagio

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 53 Posts
Okay, here's a wall with a mural, a blank wall, and a wall with bricks. Do I win?

Likes For Fredo_Adagio:
Old 02-29-20, 01:14 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by TooOldandSlow
Okay, here's a wall with a mural, a blank wall, and a wall with bricks. Do I win?

You probably win, etiquette achieved, but the bricks aren’t the same color.

(Love the shadows on the blank wall.)

Still remember getting glasses when I was seven. Looked out the optometrist’s window, and saw bricks, not just brick color, for the first time. Thank you Sister Mary Ruth for moving me to the first row and talking to my parents.

To be clear, if I was standing next to a brick wall I could see mortar. But across the street? Same with leaves in trees. Who knew? Everyone but me.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 02-29-20 at 01:20 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.