Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Light cyclocross with rack eyelets for going car-free

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Light cyclocross with rack eyelets for going car-free

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-13, 12:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
SWEden No universal OPa/OMa bike that every one has ridden for 100 years like NL?

One of My friends (80+) has twice yearly visits by his Wife who still lives around Stockholm,

she flys over to MN first where there are Their children abd grandchildren to visit.

Then out here .. when she flies back He has more food prepared in a thaw and Eat larder. to cook for a few Months.
Old 09-01-13, 12:37 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
SWEden No universal OPa/OMa bike that every one has ridden for 100 years like NL?

One of My friends (80+) has twice yearly visits by his Wife who still lives around Stockholm,

she flys over to MN first where there are Their children abd grandchildren to visit.

Then out here .. when she flies back He has more food prepared in a thaw and Eat larder. to cook for a few Months.
almost no commuters in northeast England. everyone rides drops it's like being back in the states and it's all in ENGLISH so I understand every benign word of every conversation

Old 09-01-13, 12:44 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Well at least the Slang is a little different..
Old 09-01-13, 12:51 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Well at least the Slang is a little different..
Old 09-01-13, 01:07 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
A lot of cross bikes in your price range lack eyelets since they are race bikes. I like the gunnar crosshairs which you can build up and fit within your budget. It will make a light bike. My guess is that (depending on which parts you use) it will come in a bit heavier than the trek ion but the gunnar is a beautiful and versatile bike.

^this.

We did this a couple of years ago. My wife's crosshairs in a 54 frame comes in at 19lbs including pedals (most bike weights don't include pedals). That's with tubular tires (aluminum rims) using the Tufo system.

The biggest thing for getting that bike to accelerate is having light wheels. You can save a couple hundred to three hundred grams on wheels by going with aluminum tubulars over clinchers (aluminum). Our experience with the Tufos is 1/6th to 1/8th the flats - where we would get multiple flats before, we now seldom get one until the tire is down to the threads.

J.
Old 09-01-13, 01:15 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Okay, OP -- you rode an $11K roadie, now you're dead set on a $3K cross bike to use for utility/commuting/training for some unfocused purpose. Have I got that?

I'm HALF-tempted, from the way you approach the other posters here, to tell you to put slicks on your Trek and just man up. I ride a full-suspension Kona for everything, and any ride under 10 miles can be done at an average speed of about 14mph. WITH fat knobby tires.

But, I'll be nice.

Surly Long Haul Trucker.
Old 09-01-13, 01:18 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by DX-MAN
Okay, OP -- you rode an $11K roadie, now you're dead set on a $3K cross bike to use for utility/commuting/training for some unfocused purpose. Have I got that?

I'm HALF-tempted, from the way you approach the other posters here, to tell you to put slicks on your Trek and just man up. I ride a full-suspension Kona for everything, and any ride under 10 miles can be done at an average speed of about 14mph. WITH fat knobby tires.

But, I'll be nice.

Surly Long Haul Trucker.
Yeah, but knobbies make it difficult to perform on-road structured training. Every commute is a race *

Maybe if you're in NOLA with a video camera*
Old 09-01-13, 01:27 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
Yeah, but knobbies make it difficult to perform on-road structured training. Every commute is a race *

Maybe if you're in NOLA with a video camera*
LOL. Caught your "fine print", too -- just don't associate me with that rolling hemorrhoid, I have him on ignore.

The knobbies have less impact on structured training than the suspension does! Kona rides better with some squish dialed in.... Seated pedaling is glass-smooth, but standup is like waves on the shoreline. (But it HOPS SO nice....!)
Old 09-01-13, 02:00 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Thrasymachus
@I-Like-To-Bike:
To be faster, within limits, so I can get to places faster. The limit being that all or most my riding not actually being structured training like say an actual professional cyclist or the thousands of wannabes.
Ok, got it; but is it possible for you to make a single post on BF without ranting, sneering or casting aspersions on "wannabes"?
Old 09-01-13, 02:13 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
You too must have listened to a radio show to know so much about cycling.

BTW, my NSA decoder ring outed your Top Secret hidden message ; not only is every commute a gosh darn race, it is an opportunity to count coup on unworthy riff-raff who only think themselves Real Cyclists™.
Old 09-01-13, 05:23 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dude, you seem to push people around quite hard for someone who rides a MTB and had one ride on a nice bike.
I'm actually surprised he didn't get called out on this:

@bikemig:
I don't really enjoy things like building bikes, nor do I have the mechanical aptitude for it as I was raised by woman unfortunately
I know several good female bike mechanics,including a Trek store manager and an owner of an independent shop.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 09-01-13, 05:49 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kind of like all the too common single-speed cheerleaders who have a stable of bikes yet foolishly advise someone who has or will only have one, to go single-speed...
That's kind of offensive to those of us who ride fixed 85% of the time yet recommend that one rides their geared bike is one gear for awhile before they go with a single speed.

I had something constructive to say...............I think that I will keep it to myself and back out.

Last edited by gregjones; 09-01-13 at 05:54 PM. Reason: foniks
Old 09-01-13, 07:46 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
He was raised by a woman so he does not know how to hold a tool, he does not take seriously anyone who has ridden for years and has more than one bike, he rode an $11,000 dollars bike and know knows everything about absolutely nothing. Oh well.

Seriously, I do wish you luck, we all need to learn our lessons, sometimes hard, sometimes easy. I been there, still there, learning things the hard way. You may have been raised by a woman but you got that male behavior down pat.

Buy whatever you want, we are not talking about life changing amounts of money, do it, learn from it and someday you too will not be taken seriously by anyone under 30 .

LC
Old 09-01-13, 09:28 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
far easier than my mtb with knobbies, far less fatigue, and I could go much faster and sustaining speed was much easier.
That's 90% of your problem right there. Just spend $22 on a pair of these and spend a little more time researching.

my cat got sick and I had to burn like $1000 fixing her up

There's the other 10%. Cats suck to begin with, but a cat that prevents you from buying a bike, that's a cat that's gotta go!

More constructively, for your relatively large budget, take a look at the Volagi Viaje. It's not a cyclocross bike as much as a Rando/endurance bike, but it's steel, it's got rack&fender mounts, it's got disc brakes, it's got tire clearance (up to 700x42), and it's beautiful.

Last edited by RubeRad; 09-01-13 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-02-13, 12:41 AM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I took another look through this thread, and a few things stood out to me on the re-read.

@bikemig:
I don't really enjoy things like building bikes, nor do I have the mechanical aptitude for it as I was raised by woman unfortunately. Thus I need the favor of a local bike store and the one most local to me, about 4-5 miles stocks Trek and offers free cable adjustment on brakes and dérailleurs for life and 20% discounts on servicing for bikes purchased new from them. So I don't see why I would go through all the trouble just to have a heavier bike, that will cost more to maintain.
Okay, unskilled with his hands, not a crime. . .but misogynistic on top of it.

@I-Like-To-Bike:
To be faster, within limits, so I can get to places faster. The limit being that all or most my riding not actually being structured training like say an actual professional cyclist or the thousands of wannabes.

After listening to the Cycling 360 Podcast, specifically their episodes on cadence and structured training, I realized that I will not get faster or enjoy my riding as much until I start changing things up. Of course, I could do that on a lesser bike, but the Sram Road Ride demo made me realize that bike weight, componentry and tires really matter, especially compared to the stark example of the most sub-optimal ride possible, a low-end hardtail mountain bike with knobby tires on the road, which is what I am doing now.
So he is the sole exception to the 'trap' of wanting structured training without being a Lance wannabe -- well, I'll be........

Folks, Cycling 360 Podcast is the new bible! And a Trek 6000 is the WORST thing you can ride...even worse than a Huffy Cranbrook cruiser.

@Loose Chain:
The you who beat them on Cross-check could have been beaten by a clone of you on a lighter bike. That is what matters. I also notice you have six bikes listed in your profile, so you don't face my problem of paucity of space and funds. Kind of like all the too common single-speed cheerleaders who have a stable of bikes yet foolishly advise someone who has or will only have one, to go single-speed...
Doesn't want to be a racer, but knows all about what it takes to win a race. And anyone who has more bikes 'just doesn't get it', are just like the legions of SS'ers who also own a fleet, but want everyone else on their own SS..............

@acidfast7:
I don't know what the hell you are trying to say. I think you mean to say mukracker, and actually I will get more replies and more advice the more mukracking I do.

I have noticed on bike forums that most people who do the majority of posting have large stables of bikes, and been riding for years, even decades, so you cannot take their advice seriously, despite what you say about the alleged experience factor.
They do patently silly things like say advise newbies to get a single-speed because they love riding their when they are not riding ONE OF THEIR OTHER FIVE BIKES... Which is fine if you live in flat area or are very fit to begin with, which won't apply to most. I have called these alleged single speed cocaine sniffers out on this before already in my short time on this forum.

In 2012 I wanted to get Surly cross-check with my tax return but my cat got sick and I had to burn like $1000 fixing her up. If that were the case, I likely would not have had the same requirements-parameters for a new bike, or maybe I would not even have wanted one, but that is not the case.

About trying bikes, I could try lots of bikes, at bike store parking lots, and while telling if it not a totally sh1t ride is possible, you still cannot make much else of it. Unfortunately as a tactic bike manufacturers for their demos always seem to showcase ultra-high end bicycles costing several thousand, which most people will never buy to encourage upgrade-itis. So paradoxically I managed to get one hour of otherwise unrestricted saddle time on a bike I could never afford costing upwards of $11,000 but have no idea where to demo an affordable for me, Ion CX pro even in a parking lot
Believes he will catch more flies with vinegar than honey; and all these riders who have experience, have been riding for years, LOVE it to the point of building up a STABLE of bikes, are delusional about what it takes to find the right bike.

$1000 on the CAT? Didn't he say something about 'frugal'...?

A limited test ride is a trap, to make new riders buy parts they don't need.

All I can say is..........WOW.

I USED to talk smack about the customers I dealt with, who shrieked in horror at a $149 price tag for a complete bike; I now think I PREFER them.
Old 09-05-13, 06:45 AM
cynergy

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2, Trek 520, Trek Allant+ 8S

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thrasymachus,

I started riding a lot a few years ago with a heavy, old Trek 800 that I had bought in the early 90's. I eventually replaced the stock wheels with much nicer rims and hubs and thinner road tires (with a less aggressive tread pattern). That made a big difference and was a relatively in expensive upgrade.

An expensive cyclcocross bike would be nice, but you might also want to consider something middle of the road/less expensive. Trek, Giant and the other big manufacturers have nice "fitness" bikes which have light aluminum frames, decent components, and 700C wheels and these bikes would be faster than your mountain bike, good for commuting (they have eyelets for racks and stuff), and would be good general purpose bikes. You might be able to get a less expensive bike that would meet your requirements. I bought an inexpensive Hybrid after riding my mountain bike a lot and it was significantly faster than my mountain bike, yet affordable and comfortable to ride.

I would definitely test ride the bike before you bought it (or something very similar to it in the correct size). Also, try out some other bikes. I commute on a touring bike (trek 520). it has a steel frame but it is very ride-able and I go much faster on it than my mountain bike.
Old 09-05-13, 07:19 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Actually, on this theme - I was fooling around with a bike I built up almost 30 years ago: A classic Basso road racing frame complete with 6 speed Dura-Ace when the very first index shifting came out. My son rides it now and we were looking at putting larger tires on it. Funny but it would handle easy 28c (what we were looking at) but it would also likely go to 32c. It's a beautiful bike and fun to ride but it's not worth a whole lot today. Something like that could work well, be really inexpensive compared to what you actually get. In fact, I think that might have been the thinking behind cyclocross when it started.

Both of my kids inherited the old road bikes that my wife and I used to ride several decades ago. They are beautiful bikes, with campy components, classic french frames, hand built custom wheels of the day etc... They've become their university bikes and their transportation. Again, these bikes really are not worth much but they really punch above their weight in terms of performance and utility. Given the quality of the components and frames, they hold up extremely well and make great commuter bikes. At some point, both bikes will probably get made into single speeds to keep up with university bike fashion - nothing cooler than a classic racing frame now made into a single speed for use around the university.

That all said, I have a road carbon frame bike (circa 2007) and I have my Gunnar Crosshairs. The Gunnar is surprisingly versatile - it's my adventure bike. I have a pair of tubular alloy rims for road use and a pair of clincher rims that I use with some 38c tires (Kenda small block 8) for fire trail and "adventure" riding. It's a great bike and I'd pretty much recommend it to anyone as a "first" bike for it's versatility. Given that I don't do heavy mud riding though, if I were to do it again, I might go for the Gunnar Sport (toss up, really). It also supports racks, tires to the same size but has caliper brakes and is probably a bit lighter and more peppy. Either way, with the Crosshairs, it's got that sort of all day long ride quality. Very compliant ride, accelerates well and climbs well. Very comfortable and I like it very much. It's really made me re-think my coming upgrade to my carbon frame and electrics - I may be looking at a custom steel frame for that as well. That's how good the Crosshairs really is.

J.
Old 09-05-13, 01:21 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
https://salsacycles.com/bikes/warbird_ti - but no mounts for a rack. When you want lighter weight I think you eliminate the rack option in many cases. Maybe a backback?
Old 09-05-13, 01:25 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
@acidfast7:
I don't know what the hell you are trying to say. I think you mean to say mukracker, and actually I will get more replies and more advice the more mukracking I do.

I have noticed on bike forums that most people who do the majority of posting have large stables of bikes, and been riding for years, even decades, so you cannot take their advice seriously, despite what you say about the alleged experience factor. They do patently silly things like say advise newbies to get a single-speed because they love riding their when they are not riding ONE OF THEIR OTHER FIVE BIKES... Which is fine if you live in flat area or are very fit to begin with, which won't apply to most. I have called these alleged single speed cocaine sniffers out on this before already in my short time on this forum.

In 2012 I wanted to get Surly cross-check with my tax return but my cat got sick and I had to burn like $1000 fixing her up. If that were the case, I likely would not have had the same requirements-parameters for a new bike, or maybe I would not even have wanted one, but that is not the case.

About trying bikes, I could try lots of bikes, at bike store parking lots, and while telling if it not a totally sh1t ride is possible, you still cannot make much else of it. Unfortunately as a tactic bike manufacturers for their demos always seem to showcase ultra-high end bicycles costing several thousand, which most people will never buy to encourage upgrade-itis. So paradoxically I managed to get one hour of otherwise unrestricted saddle time on a bike I could never afford costing upwards of $11,000 but have no idea where to demo an affordable for me, Ion CX pro even in a parking lot...
For what its worth I think you have been very clear about your needs/desires and have expressed yourself well. No need for anyone to take offense at what you have typed. I'd go back to "our regular programming" and get you the information you need.
Old 09-05-13, 01:46 PM
PennyTheDog
Fork and spoon operator

Bikes: 2013 Surly Crosscheck, 1990 Schwinn Impact, 1973 Schwinn Continental

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ridefreemc
For what its worth I think you have been very clear about your needs/desires and have expressed yourself well. No need for anyone to take offense at what you have typed. I'd go back to "our regular programming" and get you the information you need.
The OP appears to have been banned.
Old 09-05-13, 02:04 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
Dude, you seem to push people around quite hard for someone who rides a MTB and had one ride on a nice bike. Given the people in this thread you access to such a wealth of information about brands/bike from all around the globe. If you weren't being such a meckerer you'd probably get more help. I'm still amazed that you're going to drop that much cash without riding it and I think that you could do much better at that price point (£1500) but all you've listed is that you want a low weight CX bike. Perhaps you should ride a little more to know what you like.

new word for the day is gotta to be meckerer. I like it. Danke.

And it describes this op to a T; perfect word.
Old 09-05-13, 02:13 PM
Ridefreemc

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PennyTheDog
The OP appears to have been banned.
Oh, I'm late to the game - thanks for the update. It was starting to derail midway through. Hard to get it back on track from there. Also, we don't get to see those posts that were sent in but intercepted by the moderators, so it might have gotten worse had they not pulled the plug.

Anyway, I hope the OP continues to inquire, and gets the bike he wants.
Old 09-05-13, 02:44 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
The mods seem to be wielding the ban hammer often lately.
Old 09-05-13, 03:04 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
This is brilliant; thanks for sharing.
Old 09-14-13, 08:36 PM
i RIDE

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix 2012, All-City Big Block 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out the Norco Threshold; alu, eyelets, but only come stock with shimano (easily swappable to SRAM). Im waiting on the 2014 stock because they be lookin fine. Range from 1500-900(new sora)

Ride quite nicely too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.