Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Buy new frame or upgrade old Trek 800?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-19, 05:29 AM
cynergy

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2, Trek 520, Trek Allant+ 8S

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Folks,

I have an old Trek 800 that I bought in the early 90's. over the years I upgraded the wheels, cranks and front derailleur, but otherwise the bike is close to its original factory shape.

I've been using the bike as a commuter but the ride position is less comfortable for me for the longer part of my commute. I wanted to replace the stem to provide me with a more upright riding position.

This old bike has a threaded headset. Is it easy to get brand new components that I could use to replace the factory headset and change the handlebar geometry for my bike? do they even sell threaded headset parts?

Or do you think it's better to buy a new frame and start from scratch.

There's an additional requirement, the bike has been converted to an electric assist bike. several years ago i bought a bionx conversion kit and installed the rear wheel motor (which replaces the normal rear wheel). I'd like to keep the electric assist feature and would need a bike frame that fits a 26" MTB wheel.

Would it be easier to just buy a new frame and the components and work from scratch? I realize that this would be an expensive route, but I could reuse some of the components from the existing bike to save a little time and money.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Old 05-31-19, 06:22 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
For the threaded headset, they make quills that have the same profile as modern steer tubes. That way you can change out the stem as you see fit rather than getting a quill with a fixed stem length and angle.
Old 05-31-19, 06:41 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw
For the threaded headset, they make quills that have the same profile as modern steer tubes. That way you can change out the stem as you see fit rather than getting a quill with a fixed stem length and angle.
Something like this: https://velo-orange.com/products/vo-...s-stem-adaptor will allow you to use threadless stems on your quill headset. No point in starting over if your bike is in near-factory condition.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 05-31-19, 06:42 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Threaded headsets are still in production and readily available. Tange has several high quality, affordable models. Tall quill type stems to raise handlebars are also available (e.g. the Nitto "Technomic" series), as are threadless adapters that allow you to use modern, threadless style riser stems with a threaded headset.
Old 06-01-19, 01:02 PM
BobFishell

Bikes: 1990 Klein Quantum, 1995 Klein Quantum Pro, 1997 Klein Pulse Comp, Cannondale 3.0 (junk box build - year unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Something like this: https://velo-orange.com/products/vo-...s-stem-adaptor will allow you to use threadless stems on your quill headset. No point in starting over if your bike is in near-factory condition.
What he said. I would add that you can purchase threadless stems in a variety of lengths and rise angles.
Old 06-01-19, 02:19 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
+1 with above; those old Trek frames are fine, and parts are readily available. Look at Rivendell; you can even get "Bullmoose" stem/bar combos.
Old 06-01-19, 03:40 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Nitto makes a stem that will raise your bars. https://www.rivbike.com/cart
Old 06-01-19, 04:33 PM
davidad

Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Chris King still makes a 1" threaded headset, but it costs 150 dollars. This is a good one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-105...oAAOSwK9lbu-NF I have two 19 year old Herons and I use this type of shimano headset. Mine are Ultegras.
Old 06-02-19, 08:16 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
Nitto makes a stem that will raise your bars. https://www.rivbike.com/cart
My first thought too. Relatively cheap and good looking. Period correct too so your bike won't look goofy. How much additional handlebar height do you think that you need?
Old 06-02-19, 10:17 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 193 Posts
I bought a cheap 1" threaded suspension fork for my Trek 800, but needed about 4 cm more threads to fit the frame. I couldn't cut the plated steel, so I converted to a 1" threadless mount, as I had plenty of unthreaded tube on that fork. Goodbye to the quill and handlebars, but they were steel. Fork might be cheap, but works well for me on pavement.

I kept the rim brakes, although I had changed from center pull to cantilever. The new fork could accept a disk caliper, but I've found rim brakes to work as well as mechanical disks in dry weather.

I also had an inexpensive 500W motor kit in the back. Used on low pedal assist, it still has the elliptical crank and pedals pretty nice by my standards.