Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Helmet Padding

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Helmet Padding

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-10, 05:06 PM
Denny004

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmet Padding

The padding that keeps the helmet off of the top of my head is worn out. The helmet is in good shape though and I don't want to buy another one. I called the manufacture and they don't have replacement pads.

Does anyone have a solution for replacing the pads
Old 04-24-10, 05:26 PM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As I recall Giro and Bell do offer replacement helmet pads. You ought to be able to fit those in other helmets with a bit of trimming. The Bell replacement pads are offered on Amazon.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
Old 04-24-10, 05:34 PM
BFW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I may get jumped on here and this is strictly conjecture, but there's reasoning behind why you can't get new replacement pads for your old (a few years) helmet.

Most bicycle helmets are made of styrofoam. In the course of a time, your helmet is exposed to UV from sunlight and other conditions that can degrade the integrity of the helmet. (Ozone, heat, other oxidizing agents). So, if the manufacturer stops making pads for it, you will probably buy a new helmet instead of trying to use the old one past it's useful life. Planned obsolescence is almost unavoidable in our world today. It boils down to two things, and money is the most important part of both. More income for the company if you buy a new helmet, and less money spent in litigation if you happen to get hurt wearing an old helmet where a new one might have helped you. The second part of that actually benefits you.

You can get around this sometimes with the generic pads offered with new helmets, but if it were me, I'd pony up for a new one if the pads are worn out. You might find a better fit, or better ventilation for around the same money as the old helmet. You also don't have to worry about trying to protect your noggin with a helmet that shares the same integrity as that old ice chest that's been bleaching in the sun out at the lake for a few years.
Old 04-24-10, 05:34 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
I have a roll of Frost King foam weatherstripping from Lowes. I've used it for padding a few helmet spots that were touching my head but weren't covered by the original pads. It's really compressible, so it works good in helmets.

Old 04-24-10, 05:47 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Bike shops may have a bunch of left-over pads from helmets they've sold and fitted to the customer on site. Ask around and you should find something suitable.

BTW, helmets don't wear out or deteriorate unless they are badly abused or involved in a crash. Tests of 10+year old helmets show they still meet their original impact specifications. That said, newer helmets do fit better, are better ventilated and may meet tougher safety standards so buying a new one isn't just a waste of money.

Keep in mind that the cheapest and the most expensive helmets by any of the good makers all meet exactly the same safety standards. More money buys you better ventilation, sometimes, lighter weight and, obviously, more style points with your riding buddies.
Old 04-24-10, 05:59 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
BTW, helmets don't wear out or deteriorate unless they are badly abused or involved in a crash.
Agreed. And so far I haven't found replacement pads to be hard to find. A couple years ago I asked Bell about replacement pads for my Bell Biker (purchased in 1976). They quickly sent out a new set free of charge.
Old 04-24-10, 08:40 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
The helmet manufacturers typically recommend replacment around 3 years. Is it necessary, probably not. But with new helmets available for $20, I just buy a new one when the pads are gone.
Old 04-25-10, 09:54 AM
BikeWise1
30 YR Wrench

Bikes: Waterford R-33, Madone 6.5, Trek 520

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Oh the Mr. Nickel and Dime types come in my shop regularly with ancient crumbling helmets and then act insulted because I don't have a magic "ancient helmet pad dispenser".

Get a new helmet fer cryin out loud!

Even my most expensive helmet will only cost you six cents a day if you keep it only 5 years....
Old 04-25-10, 10:31 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
As others already mentioned, you can try to fit pads from another brand.
Or you can also try to use pads from a different model, but the same
company as your current helmet.

New York City DOT has a program that gives away free helmets, try
to see if they have something similar in your area.