Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best way to get into racing

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-06, 08:47 PM
timmyquest
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don’t know much about anything when it comes to cycling and racing other then what i see on TV every once and a while.

The first thing that i need to look into, and that i already know, is that i'm in no condition to race however i could really see myself enjoying cycling more if i had a goal other then weight loss. I'm a competitive person at heart.

I hear people refer to "cat5 cat3" etc...i understand the concepts but i guess what i'm looking for is some information into how one gets rated for that sort of stuff. It's not like i'm looking to make money, obviously i wont ever see myself in France...but i just want to get into some local stuff, and win.

So i guess i'm just looking into information for that sort of thing...essentially i'm lost in the dark without a light, anyone got a spare flashlight to loan me?
Old 04-27-06, 09:10 PM
bigskymacadam
so whatcha' want?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
category 5 is for beginner racers. you'll need a license to race. some you can get day passes. i believe in other states you need a USCF license from https://www.usacycling.org to compete. in oregon, you it's an OBRA license. 10 cat 5 mass start races under your belt to advance to cat 4. i'm honestly not sure how to advance to cat 3; if there's a point structure, etc i'll have to read about it more ... i'm still cat 5.

try to find where races are held in your area and witness one. go to the library and read "Bicycling Racing 101". you should also ride with a club in your area. there are usually one or two folks there who have raced locally and can give some tips.

at any rate, ride with lots of different groups and people to test your fitness level. and learn group riding skills and etiqeutte (very important). get as good or better than them. try one race to see if you like it. you might get hooked like i have been.

Cycling Rocks! | Local Race Photos
Old 04-27-06, 09:15 PM
DrWJODonnell
Slow'n'Aero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike Racing 101 by Wenzel. It is more than a flashlight. It is all you need to get started.
Old 04-28-06, 12:31 AM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Join a local racing-club and go on their group training rides. There's so much information to learn and a lot of it is best done on the bike.
Old 04-28-06, 01:20 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
something like this:

find the closest high speed group ride in your area.

do it.

ask the racers there what club they're in.

join it.

ask the racers what races they're doing.

do them.

good luck!
Old 04-28-06, 05:24 AM
Bobby Lex

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I concur with all of the advice above and would only add one comment:

Be patient! It takes years to develop the skill and fitness to become a good bike racer. In the meanwhile you will suffer.

Greg LeMond is famous for saying: "It never gets any easier, you just go faster".

Bob
Old 04-28-06, 02:13 PM
megatronstein

Bikes: Cannondale 900, Scwhinn World Sport fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmm

Also, if you want to know more specific rules about advancing through the categories and stuff, go to usacycling.org and download the pdf of the rules.
Old 04-28-06, 02:22 PM
2Rodies
El Diablo

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8/Record 10s, Felt DA700 Chorus 10s,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
ask the racers what races they're doing.

do them.

good luck!
Hey what kind of racing club is this!

Actually aside from doing the racers this is great advice. Before jumping into your first race some fast group riding is a must. Getting a feel for being bumped and being in close proximity to other riders at speed can't be learned in a book or found on this forum.
Old 04-28-06, 03:19 PM
rufvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Join a local racing-club and go on their group training rides. There's so much information to learn and a lot of it is best done on the bike.
Good advice!

If the club is any good, they'll support a range of riders of different ability. Some group rides later, you will also figure out whether you really want to race or ride. Especially when you test your own fitness in group, and see the different kinds of road rash the guys bring home from races, decide if you have not only the desire to race, but also the stomach for it.