Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

At least five cyclists killed and another two injured as 'hit-and-run' truck plows ..

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

At least five cyclists killed and another two injured as 'hit-and-run' truck plows ..

Old 06-08-16, 10:05 PM
Randybb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
I also wear bright colors, use reflectors and even blinkys on occasion. But the dangers aren't just "out there". 10 times more people die each year from falls at home... than bicycle accidents. The fact is.... everyone dies. Some of us die from accidents. And in some of those accidents there is someone we can point a finger at. But in the grand scheme of things... nothing really changes.

I'd wish for everyone a very long and healthy life. But it never has been that way, and never will be such. No hate, fear, law, punishment, or treatment will ever change the basic human condition. I think my time would be better served in efforts to feed hungry children... than punishing drunks.
I like the way you think. There needs to be more people like you.
Old 06-08-16, 10:39 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I am as horrified as you about this, but it seems that there are maybe half a dozen different threads on various forums about this same incident. Could we try to search to find if there is a thread already posted before starting more? I do realize that the number of threads indicates what an uproar there is about it and I share your outrage.
Old 06-08-16, 10:56 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Buses take too long,
My experience in Dallas carried this to the extreme; even on Friday or Saturday night, when most live bands start at 9PM, if you miss the 10:15 bus, the next one won't be along until sometime around 7AM. That means you're either fighting for a cab or driving. And yet DART used to advertise itself as such a wonderful alternative to driving drunk.
Old 06-08-16, 11:08 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
My experience in Dallas carried this to the extreme; even on Friday or Saturday night, when most live bands start at 9PM, if you miss the 10:15 bus, the next one won't be along until sometime around 7AM. That means you're either fighting for a cab or driving. And yet DART used to advertise itself as such a wonderful alternative to driving drunk.
Uber! If they haven't been run out of town by the taxi lobby yet, of course.

There are only a handful of US cities where public transportation is a legitimate option.
Old 06-08-16, 11:11 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Uber! If they haven't been run out of town by the taxi lobby yet, of course.
Didn't exist at the time, and according to a friend who drives for them, Dallas is cracking down on the drivers for being an "unlicensed taxi service." She has her passengers sit up front if they're going anywhere inside the Dallas city limits.
Old 06-09-16, 04:37 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by john_steed_uk
In response to some negative comments on another site, I reminded the posters that "Share the Road" is law in many states and that in general, "They are our roads, too."

News sources in the Kalamazoo area are quoting a local bike shop owner who says that all the cyclists (in their 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's)
were careful, experienced riders.

They are also showing some pix of the mangled bikes. Not pretty. Can only imagine what the riders looked liked.
Indeed, 2 of the killed were over 70, and 2 others were in their mid-50s.
Old 06-09-16, 05:32 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Lot more energy involved in crashing at 70 mph than 20 mph. Also being rear ended form behind on a bike is about the least likely way you're going to get killed. People worry about what's coming from behind, but over 90% of what kills you is coming from the side( intersections) or in front.
Not sure about that Merlin. Any links to that dynamic?
Thanks.
Old 06-09-16, 05:33 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
I am as horrified as you about this, but it seems that there are maybe half a dozen different threads on various forums about this same incident. Could we try to search to find if there is a thread already posted before starting more? I do realize that the number of threads indicates what an uproar there is about it and I share your outrage.
No. I don't read other forums.
Old 06-09-16, 07:44 AM
exime

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a link to the pictures and names of the cyclists:

Pictured: The five 'Chain Gang' cyclists killed
Old 06-09-16, 09:42 AM
headstrongpkm

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 8, 2010 Marin Bolinas Ridge

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is absolutely horrible. Road biking has been a great passion of mine and I have perfectly understood and accepted the risks involved. But sometimes events like these make you stop again and think hard, especially for a young father with a wife and 3 year old daughter. I do my biking in a car-centric city with poor public transportation and this makes it even more worrying. Eventually I think all of us will continue on, albeit with caution. But then again I don't think there is anything more we can do.

RIP to the cyclists.
Old 06-09-16, 10:12 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
No. I don't read other forums.
They've already combined three other threads into on in A&S, and I would encourage you to check out the rest of the site anyway.

I think there ought to be one sitewide sticky for discussing this, as it's probsbly the biggest topic we've had in years.
Old 06-09-16, 10:44 AM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well said and I am in a similar boat.

But you can take all the caution you want but it won't help a drunk, texting or distracted rider plowing into you.

Originally Posted by headstrongpkm
This is absolutely horrible. Road biking has been a great passion of mine and I have perfectly understood and accepted the risks involved. But sometimes events like these make you stop again and think hard, especially for a young father with a wife and 3 year old daughter. I do my biking in a car-centric city with poor public transportation and this makes it even more worrying. Eventually I think all of us will continue on, albeit with caution. But then again I don't think there is anything more we can do.

RIP to the cyclists.
Old 06-09-16, 11:07 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Every time something like this happens it makes us pause and reflect upon what we're doing. Yes, as tragic as it is this kind of thing is actually quite rare. Vehicular traffic deaths are far more common, and yet we don't think twice about getting behind the wheel whenever we hear about a traffic fatality. If we were being rational we should be more afraid of getting in the car, or worse, getting into the passenger seat of that car, than saddling a bike. But of course we are emotional, and at times very irrational, beings and instead we think that could have been me, and it could be me the next time I go down that road that I normally ride on.

So we get too crazy here and sell our bikes let's put this tragedy into perspective.
Old 06-09-16, 11:17 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,466 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
They've already combined three other threads into on in A&S, and I would encourage you to check out the rest of the site anyway.

I think there ought to be one sitewide sticky for discussing this, as it's probsbly the biggest topic we've had in years.
This is the busiest of all the forums. It won't hurt anything to leave this one here.
Old 06-09-16, 12:26 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by headstrongpkm

RIP to the cyclists.
This dynamic will change with time due to needless carnage on American roads but change will not come fast enough. Technology WILL reduce deaths due to alcohol just like airbags in aggragate...excepting Takata's unfortunate involvement...have saved lives. AI, driverless cars....alcohol sensing ignition....many ways to reduce the risk and thousands of lives lost on American roads each year. AI can even detect drivers that are sleep deprived...erratic driving habits, thereby disabling cars and reducing speed. Human nature won't change much because we won't evolve much in the next couple hundred years.

As to quitting cycling due to risk, more than a few have. Few love motorcycles and fast cars...and fast bicycles more than me. I quit riding motorcycles because I had seen too much. Too many poor drivers. I really try to limit my time of riding my bike on busy roads. A numbers game. Better to be lucky than good.
Old 06-09-16, 03:26 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Not sure about that Merlin. Any links to that dynamic?
Thanks.

this link is a little old but it shows less than 7% of deaths from the bike being hit from behind (including cases where the bike swerved into the car)
Is Cycling Dangerous? -- The Risk of Bicycle Use -- Accidents, Fatalities, Injuries, and Benefits

I believe the data Ken cited is from the NHTSA Fatality Analysis Reporting System, and I'm pretty sure those percentages have stayed fairly consistent over time. But I didn't bother to go back and find links. I've posted this data in other threads here over the years, so they're somewhere on BF

People have a perception that it is much more common to get hit in the rear by a car than it its. That's likely because that accident is largely uncontrollable by the cyclist and makes people fearful.

In reality, about 700 cyclists in the US die in accidents each year. Almost a third of those people are intoxicated. A good percentage of them were riding the wrong way, and or riding without lights at night.

Take out the drunk ninja salmons, and that 700 number drops significantly. Of the remaining few hundred, the majority are intersection, or dart out collisions, leaving very few law abiding cyclists killed by being hit in the rear by a car.

Admittedly, one is too many, and these 5 deaths are horrendous, but we do need to keep this in some perspective.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-09-16, 04:40 PM
Vicegrip

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The driver has been charged with 5 counts of second degree murder. He killed 5 people and seriously hurt 4 others. I don't want to hear his version of "My life's sad story".

I am sick of hearing excuses for people do things that have predictable outcomes.

I don't know the guys story, background or legal history. I bet that he had previous issues with driving under the influence of something. I bet he is a known problem person to law enforcement. A small few cause the largest % of problems.

Edit. just found the guy's name. His FB page covers it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Char...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by Vicegrip; 06-09-16 at 04:52 PM. Reason: found the drivers name.
Old 06-09-16, 05:00 PM
mcours2006

@merlin I will venture say that cyclists who frequent this forum are probably least likely to be in the fatality group for the reasons you stated. I do agree that the idea of being hit from behind is one that people find most disturbing because they don't see it coming and have no control over it. It's a fallacy, of course, because being hit from the side or front, or any such oblique angle you have very little awareness of it either. And because of the the differential in speed with these collisions you have little or no time to react anyway, even if you saw it coming.
Old 06-09-16, 05:01 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by Vicegrip
The driver has been charged with 5 counts of second degree murder. He killed 5 people and seriously hurt 4 others. I don't want to hear his version of "My life's sad story".

I am sick of hearing excuses for people do things that have predictable outcomes.

I don't know the guys story, background or legal history. I bet that he had previous issues with driving under the influence of something. I bet he is a known problem person to law enforcement. A small few cause the largest % of problems.

That's surprising--2nd degree murder, and not vehicular manslaughter or something less.
Old 06-09-16, 05:39 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
this link is a little old but it shows less than 7% of deaths from the bike being hit from behind (including cases where the bike swerved into the car)
Is Cycling Dangerous? -- The Risk of Bicycle Use -- Accidents, Fatalities, Injuries, and Benefits

I believe the data Ken cited is from the NHTSA Fatality Analysis Reporting System, and I'm pretty sure those percentages have stayed fairly consistent over time. But I didn't bother to go back and find links. I've posted this data in other threads here over the years, so they're somewhere on BF

People have a perception that it is much more common to get hit in the rear by a car than it its. That's likely because that accident is largely uncontrollable by the cyclist and makes people fearful.

In reality, about 700 cyclists in the US die in accidents each year. Almost a third of those people are intoxicated. A good percentage of them were riding the wrong way, and or riding without lights at night.

Take out the drunk ninja salmons, and that 700 number drops significantly. Of the remaining few hundred, the majority are intersection, or dart out collisions, leaving very few law abiding cyclists killed by being hit in the rear by a car.

Admittedly, one is too many, and these 5 deaths are horrendous, but we do need to keep this in some perspective.
thanks
Old 06-09-16, 06:05 PM
Vicegrip

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Agree with all the above. Big new making events get the attention but the reality is we get picked off one at a time with little fanfare and people on bikes are human and have all the same flaws as the humans in the cars. About the same kind of mind think as as dying from complications of smoking or flying commercial aircraft. 500,000 Murkins a year die from smoking one heart breaking story at a time but we crap our pants when 70 die in a plane crash once a year or so.

What does stink is the fact that even now, with all we know about it, driving under the influence is still an issue that takes far too many lives.

Last edited by Vicegrip; 06-09-16 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-09-16, 06:34 PM
aubiecat

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
I also wear bright colors, use reflectors and even blinkys on occasion. But the dangers aren't just "out there". 10 times more people die each year from falls at home... than bicycle accidents. The fact is.... everyone dies. Some of us die from accidents. And in some of those accidents there is someone we can point a finger at. But in the grand scheme of things... nothing really changes.

I'd wish for everyone a very long and healthy life. But it never has been that way, and never will be such. No hate, fear, law, punishment, or treatment will ever change the basic human condition. I think my time would be better served in efforts to feed hungry children... than punishing drunks.
Punishing drunks? What am I missing here? We're talking about a mass murderer. What he did was no less horrible than if he had walked into a restaurant gunned down 9 people killing 5.
Old 06-09-16, 07:59 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by aubiecat
Punishing drunks? What am I missing here? We're talking about a mass murderer. What he did was no less horrible than if he had walked into a restaurant gunned down 9 people killing 5.
The consensus, globally, is that it's substantially different. The matter is known as "intent to kill."
Old 06-09-16, 08:08 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts

Absolutely. I rode the road with the kids tonight, and while it did take some effort to suppress the primal fear this case reminds us is real, once I did and started paying attention to how my 9 year old was riding, it was pretty clear that the untrained, inexperienced cyclist puts themself in a whole lotta harms way, probably more than drivers put the cyclist in.

That's just me speaking as a lifelong cyclist, approaching 33 years worth of serious cycling, and one whose only bike/car accident was due to his own recklessness and resulted in a compound tib/fib fracture, the impact of which is still felt today as chronic arthritis in that knee.
Old 06-09-16, 08:25 PM
Doug28450

Bikes: 2016 Giant Propel Advanced SL 1

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicegrip

How do you feel about Brock Turner?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.