Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Single speed rear wheel spoke tensions?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-16, 04:54 PM
Randybb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm building a single speed rear mtb wheel with a symmetrical hub, equal spoke lengths on each side. I'm curious if I should tension both sides to where I'd normally tension the DS spokes on a freehub wheel, or if I should drop both sides down a bit so that the total tension on the rim is the same as a freehub wheel?

I.e. set the tension on each spoke to the average of DS and NDS spoke tensions on a freehub wheel.
Old 06-28-16, 11:08 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I do the average thing, and I think it's the most common.
Although I seem to remember one poster here shooting for DS tension both sides.
Not all rims can take both sides DS tension w/o taco-ing.
Be aware that a SS hub might not be perfectly symmetrical, even if it uses the same length spokes.
Last one I built needed a 10% spoke tension difference DS / NDS to center correctly.
That was a coaster brake hub though.
Old 06-28-16, 11:12 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5840 Post(s)
Liked 2,673 Times in 1,488 Posts
On most modern rear wheels, builders bring the drive side tension higher than they'd like. That's because it's the only way to get the left side tension high enough.

On a symmetrical hub, freed form concerns about inadequate left side tension, I drop down to tensions nearer to 80kgf (using 20./1.8 DB spokes). I might go higher with 2.0 straight spokes, but I build with those so rarely that I don't think about much.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-29-16, 10:07 AM
Randybb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
On most modern rear wheels, builders bring the drive side tension higher than they'd like. That's because it's the only way to get the left side tension high enough.

On a symmetrical hub, freed form concerns about inadequate left side tension, I drop down to tensions nearer to 80kgf (using 20./1.8 DB spokes). I might go higher with 2.0 straight spokes, but I build with those so rarely that I don't think about much.
What type of bike are those wheels for? This bike going to be used for moderately heavy hauling (up to 20kg on rear rack, I weight 80kg) and the roads around here are really rough as well with lots of hills, and I run a pretty high gear ratio... ergo I want my wheels as strong as possible.

I was thinking something more like 90-100 kg since I'd normally do 120-130 kg on the DS. I can't really find any specs for my rim regarding max tension, mavic xm317 (nondisc). I'm using 36x 2.0/1.8 DB spokes.