Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

2018 - Your Touring Plans = Where Are You Going?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

2018 - Your Touring Plans = Where Are You Going?

Old 02-13-18, 02:02 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater

Kinda toying with the idea of a N-S Outer Banks tour, from Virginia border to SC border. Logistics...
This idea is approaching becoming reality. Logistically though, I've decided to drive to an inland town, then do a one week loop pedaling onto the northern OBX, then leaving via Ocracoke ferry to Swanquarter, then closing the loop & driving home. Barring something unforseen I'm looking at early April and maybe 250-275 miles depending on side trips.
IMG_1768.jpg

Last edited by WNCGoater; 02-13-18 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-13-18, 07:12 PM
fitlerbend

Bikes: TREK Stache 5, 2013 Cannonade Carbon 1, DaVinci In2Ition tandem, RANS Screamer, Giant Expressway 1, 1975 Crescent Mark XX, Tern Link 7, Montague Paratrooper, Raleigh Talus 29, Trek LIFT, Novara Randonee, Specialized Fatboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
We are doing the Great Allegheny Passage and C&O Canal. We did the GAP in 2016 - just too good not to do again, continuing on to the C&O this time. 330 miles, 35 to 45 miles per day.

May do the KATY, if we can work it into schedule this Spring.
Old 02-13-18, 10:37 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by biketocamp
I try doing a trip a year. If it's a big one out of the U.S.A. that is. This year it's riding the Salt Flats in August.
Bonneville Salt Flats? That would be pretty interesting with all the history of the speed records & I suppose near a lot of other good routes.
Old 02-15-18, 07:43 AM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Planning on two 2 day tours with the boys just to get their feet wet, they're looking forward to it already. It'll most likely be on the Rock Island trail. In August I'm hitting the Katy trail again and slowing down a bit to smell the roses. Did 65 miles a day last year which really overdid it since it was my first trip. Planning on riding out to St. Louis on the Amtrak and riding back. Going to ride the spurs the check out more of the towns stretching it out to 6-7 days or more. Already have the next three years planned also but don't know if you'd consider those tours...
Old 02-16-18, 01:38 AM
eeuuugh

Bikes: Aerotek 4000, Trek 950, Huffy Nel Lusso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 49 Posts
A buddy and I are planning a week and a half out to Pensacola from New Orleans and back in early March. We'll be doing some overnight trips in the weeks ahead to get in shape and work out our gear--to Kiln MS, and to Baton Rouge. It's not a big trip but I'm looking forward to it, I haven't done more than a few overnights before!
Old 02-18-18, 02:23 AM
geoffs

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha Co-pilot, Habanero custom commuter, Seven Axiom SL, Seven Axiom SLX, Blom Track

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by alias5000
Currently working hard to have enough time for a tandem tour up from Montreal to Gaspe some time around June.
We did a tandem tour from Sackville to PEI and then down through Nova Scotia in 2016. then caught the train back to Quebec and rode from there to Montreal along the Route Verte.
We started in the beginning of June and had lots of cold weather and rain. We didn't really see anything much on PEI due to lousy weather. The Confederation trail is a waste of time as all you see is a wall of trees each side of the track. PEI drivers must be the most polite drivers in the world.
Nova Scotia was great and we might go there again this year as we missed out on the Cabot Trail which looks fantastic.
The route Verte was really worthwhile doing and would thoroughly recommend
Old 02-18-18, 02:28 AM
geoffs

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha Co-pilot, Habanero custom commuter, Seven Axiom SL, Seven Axiom SLX, Blom Track

Don't really know yet. My wife is desperate for a decent holiday but can't make up her mind so we are looking at the following:
Eurovelo route 13 through eastern Europe.
Portugal
France
Cabot trail
We will be able to take 6 weeks time off somewhere between August and october. There are conferences we could attend in Glasgow and Berlin in September where we could go for 2 weeks and have work pay for 1 airfare and 1/2 the accomodation. Just need to make a decision
Old 02-18-18, 11:32 AM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by geoffs
We did a tandem tour from Sackville to PEI and then down through Nova Scotia in 2016. then caught the train back to Quebec and rode from there to Montreal along the Route Verte.
We started in the beginning of June and had lots of cold weather and rain. We didn't really see anything much on PEI due to lousy weather. The Confederation trail is a waste of time as all you see is a wall of trees each side of the track. PEI drivers must be the most polite drivers in the world.
Nova Scotia was great and we might go there again this year as we missed out on the Cabot Trail which looks fantastic.
The route Verte was really worthwhile doing and would thoroughly recommend
Thanks! We'll keep that in mind. I have heard of the Cabot Trail, too. It looks awesome. How was your experience taking the train with a tandem?
Old 02-18-18, 11:41 PM
geoffs

Rail staff were really helpful however on the first train trip from Montreal to Sackville whoever strapped our tandem in place tightened on front saddle and slightly bent one of the rails. That was the only damage our Mocha co-pilot has ever suffered from baggage handlers.
We had great weather for the train trip and spent a fair bit of time in the upper deck of the viewing carriage watching the scenery.
I'm really keen to do the Cabot Trail. I'd like to do it as part of a ride around the whole of Nova Scotia.
If you go I'd love to hear of your experience
Old 02-19-18, 10:46 AM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Originally Posted by geoffs
I'm really keen to do the Cabot Trail. I'd like to do it as part of a ride around the whole of Nova Scotia.
If you go I'd love to hear of your experience
I think that trail will have to wait for bit, but I will certainly report, when I get to it.
Old 02-19-18, 07:43 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I'm planning my first tour of any kind - a three day gravel circumnavigation of the Cohutta Wilderness Area in North Georgia and adjoining Big Frog Wilderness Area in South Central Tennessee.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26896817

The plan is to park at one of the trailheads and ride the first day to Ducktown TN for an overnight at a B&B. Day 2 I'll pedal to the Mulberry Gap Mountain Bike Getaway for the second night and then complete the loop back to the car on day 3.

Lots of elevation change and very remote.

-Tim-
Old 02-24-18, 11:45 AM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
For the third time in the last four years, I am going to do an individualized version of the Sierra Cascade route, with some variations throughout Southern California and the Sierra. I"ll be out for six months starting on April 1st, working from south to north. The Sierra Passes can be tricky at that time of year, but this winter apparently has been a dry one (after an initial burst of snow)...so hopefully I can zig zag across the mountains instead of staying on the central valley side.
Old 02-25-18, 06:46 PM
BBassett

Bikes: Tout Terrain, Panamericana

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
want to do a great lake circle tour this year. last year i rode my longest day ever with full touring load. it was 94 miles in the middle of a 6 day tour. if i can do a 2 week tour perhaps i can do a century one day.
Doing a century during a bike tour just means you skipped a dozen great places to stop and camp, or... that you know a killer Mexican place that has the best Mole you have ever had. Hours of mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Moleeeeee, mmmmmmmmm Moleeeeeeeeeeeeee. Next thing you know you have a Margarita in your had and Mole on the way. Holey!.
Old 02-25-18, 06:51 PM
BBassett

Bikes: Tout Terrain, Panamericana

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
A special Shoot Out to any and all that start a tour by riding away from their house! Kudos! You don't need a car and especially don't need to put your bike on a plane to start a tour.
Old 02-25-18, 06:59 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
No idea. I've been mentioning a bike trip for years, and my wife has been lukewarm to the idea. Until a few days ago. She brought the idea up. Now I'm elated. She needs to build some stamina, because she doesn't last long on a bike. To me, the ability to be on the bike for a few hours matters more than how many miles we cover. Of course where to go is a question. Another big question is single bikes or a tandem. We own good singles and a good tandem. And how many days. I'll see if I can arrange an overnight weekend trip as practice, and we'll go from there.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-25-18, 09:03 PM
alias5000

Originally Posted by noglider
No idea. I've been mentioning a bike trip for years, and my wife has been lukewarm to the idea. Until a few days ago. She brought the idea up. Now I'm elated. She needs to build some stamina, because she doesn't last long on a bike. To me, the ability to be on the bike for a few hours matters more than how many miles we cover. Of course where to go is a question. Another big question is single bikes or a tandem. We own good singles and a good tandem. And how many days. I'll see if I can arrange an overnight weekend trip as practice, and we'll go from there.
And the difficult thing is to wait out the development patiently and not bear-hug the newly sprouted idea, isn't it?

For us, the answer clearly would be (is) tandem. Even if my GF would cycle on her single all day, it's too much need to coordinate the speeds & pacing between us. If your wife doesn't last long on a bike, a tandem can be a nice, covered-up way of sharing the load during the day with her just sitting in the back without pushing much when she needs a rest, as well as being more flexible with pacing herself. The internal tandem team goal could be to arrive at the same time at the same location (<- that's the easy part on a tandem ) with similar exhaustion levels and good travel time.
Old 02-25-18, 11:59 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
Right, @alias5000. I'm experienced at cycling and have a lot of stamina, yet I'm still learning the tandem. It's really not easy for me. I'm getting there, though.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-26-18, 01:48 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Another trip on the Cape York Peninsula Development Road is planned in N Queensland. Last year the Land Cruiser Troopcarrier (support vehicle) gearbox stuffed up and the trip was abandoned after we got stranded with 2 bicycles and all our gear.... This time I do the trip alone, and unsupported, with no exploratory side trips off the main drag...

This year I plan to leave Mareeba, Queensland, bicycle via Mt. Molloy to Lakeland, then N to Laura and begin the dirt road from there. N thru Coen and Musgrave Station. Take the Old Telegraph Road BYPASS. Nothing to prove by doing the original OTT. I'll take the ferry at Wenlock River (salt-water crocs in the water) and get to Seisia after a total of about 3 weeks.

Ferry from Seisia wharf to Thurs Island, switch to another ferry to Horn Island and fly out on a Qantas DHC-8 with all my gear to Cairns and Sydney.

Map at:

https://www.tourismcapeyork.com/wp-co....-22-13.07.jpg

God willing there will be no dramas this time, but you never know. The bicycle is (mechanically) more reliable than most 4X4s - and definitely easier to repair....
Old 02-26-18, 04:12 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,656 Times in 1,677 Posts
Right, @alias5000. I'm experienced at cycling and have a lot of stamina, yet I'm still learning the tandem. It's really not easy for me. I'm getting there, though.
my gf is pretty strong on her bike and it still can be difficult finding destinations to camp at the end of the day. by myself any level spot of ground is a possibility but her standards are a bit higher. her company is awful nice though. for sure 2 up touring is a balancing act, but then so is bicycling.
Old 02-26-18, 04:03 PM
hhk25

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
End of May 6 of us are going to bike the GAP/C&O trail from Pittsburgh to Washington DC 6 days
Curious about this trail. What's the earliest you could do this? Not worried about cold temps but don't like riding on ice and snow or getting caught in snowstorms.

Is it camping friendly or more of a credit card tour?
Old 02-26-18, 06:03 PM
LuckySailor

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
In July/August, riding from Vancouver to Tuktoyuktuk, slightly north of the Arctic Circle and on the shores of the Arctic Ocean. The Dempster Highway was recently finished and it's a gravel ride the last 500 miles.
Old 02-26-18, 08:31 PM
alias5000

I am wishing you a lot of fun and joy for the trip planning and the trip itself!
Old 02-26-18, 08:40 PM
alias5000

Originally Posted by LuckySailor
In July/August, riding from Vancouver to Tuktoyuktuk, slightly north of the Arctic Circle and on the shores of the Arctic Ocean. The Dempster Highway was recently finished and it's a gravel ride the last 500 miles.
Sounds extremely cool! Just out of curiosity: which route are you going to take in BC?
Old 02-26-18, 10:02 PM
LuckySailor

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Vancouver, sailing to Nanimo, riding up to Port Hardy on 19, ferry to Prince Rupert, follow 16 to 37.
Old 02-27-18, 04:24 AM
dancier

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two trips to Indonesia, getting out of Oz cost lots so once in Bali, I'm paying local flight prices to elsewhere in Asia. Probably leave the bike and go to Singapore or KL for a few days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.