Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Windows is dropping passwords

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Windows is dropping passwords

Old 07-12-19, 12:01 AM
  #1  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 19,649
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8836 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 353 Posts
Windows is dropping passwords

In the next update, you'll be nudged to stop using a password (to log into your machine). Some of the options you can replace it with are facial or fingerprint recognition, a pin, or varies forms of two factor authentication, mostly using your phone.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/am...-option-update
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 07-12-19, 03:31 AM
  #2  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,376

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6802 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 117 Posts
I bet business IT departments will find some screen saver that does what Windows is dropping.
genec is online now  
Old 07-12-19, 05:39 AM
  #3  
ahsposo 
Juicy Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jawja
Posts: 7,089

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3322 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 141 Posts
Does this mean I won't have to type "password123" anymore?
ahsposo is offline  
Old 07-12-19, 05:43 AM
  #4  
Marcus_Ti 
Frozen Solid.
 
Marcus_Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 4,868

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2033 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
In the next update, you'll be nudged to stop using a password (to log into your machine). Some of the options you can replace it with are facial or fingerprint recognition, a pin, or varies forms of two factor authentication, mostly using your phone.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/am...-option-update
This is really funny...given that Microsoft broke compatibility of their own USB fingerprint reader a decade ago-it ceased working after Vista due to drivers.
Marcus_Ti is offline  
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 07-12-19, 06:10 AM
  #5  
prj71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,647
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I never use a password to log into my computer.
prj71 is offline  
Old 07-12-19, 09:58 AM
  #6  
no motor?
Senior Member
 
no motor?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 6,169

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Does this mean I won't have to type "password123" anymore?
Stop posting my password.
no motor? is online now  
Old 07-12-19, 10:16 AM
  #7  
farmerjg
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
Stop posting my password.
I'm up to password123#. Needed that special character.
farmerjg is offline  
Old 07-12-19, 10:31 AM
  #8  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 19,649
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8836 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
I bet business IT departments will find some screen saver that does what Windows is dropping.
Why would they want to? Passwords really aren't secure. People reuse the same ones everywhere, sometimes they're obtained through honey pots, sometimes they're hacked. When you implement policies that require strong passwords, people forget them and go to IT to have them reset.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 07-12-19, 10:38 AM
  #9  
Marcus_Ti 
Frozen Solid.
 
Marcus_Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 4,868

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2033 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Why would they want to? Passwords really aren't secure. People reuse the same ones everywhere, sometimes they're obtained through honey pots, sometimes they're hacked. When you implement policies that require strong passwords, people forget them and go to IT to have them reset.
In explaining why passwords are terrible....you also explained why they're superior.

A password, you can change--no harm no foul other than annoyance at needing to do it. When someone hacks/steals your biometric data and has a way of exploiting said data--you can't change your fingerprint or your bone structure.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/7/18...ed-fingerprint

https://www.sammobile.com/2019/04/05...d-fingerprint/
Marcus_Ti is offline  
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 07-12-19, 10:53 AM
  #10  
tyrion
Senior Member
 
tyrion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 2,390

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 87 Posts
Two factor authentication using your phone is pretty solid and not too inconvenient, as long as you don't lose your phone.
tyrion is offline  
Old 07-12-19, 11:00 AM
  #11  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 19,649
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8836 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti View Post
In explaining why passwords are terrible....you also explained why they're superior.

A password, you can change--no harm no foul other than annoyance at needing to do it. When someone hacks/steals your biometric data and has a way of exploiting said data--you can't change your fingerprint or your bone structure.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/7/18...ed-fingerprint

https://www.sammobile.com/2019/04/05...d-fingerprint/
I saw that about the fingerprint sensor. I've heard that Samsung's face recognition can be fooled by a photograph, while Huawei and Apple user depth sensors. Those sensors aren't standard on laptops. But this is all evolving.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 07-12-19, 11:24 AM
  #12  
base2 
Senior Member
 
base2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 983

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
Leave it to Microsoft to figure out a way to be even less secure with every iteration.

I haven't even turned on my Win10 laptop for about 6 months now. It's a slow 13 year old piece of garbage, even after killing all the key logger/geo location/search history "telemetry" functions & the unnecessary ages of background processes & terabytes of 2 way website traffic for advertisers to filter & aggregate on the msn homepage.

That laptop, even with it's super easy to set up full disc encryption, works fantastic with Debian/Ubuntu with LXDE (or gnome2, if I feel like)..both better & faster than it ever was with XP, in fact.

I've said it before, & I'll say it again: Windows peaked with Windows 95/98 & nothing since has been as good, as simple, or as powerful for actual productivity intended uses...Them's my words & you can quote me on that.
base2 is offline  
Old 07-12-19, 11:43 AM
  #13  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,376

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6802 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by base2 View Post
Leave it to Microsoft to figure out a way to be even less secure with every iteration.

I haven't even turned on my Win10 laptop for about 6 months now. It's a slow 13 year old piece of garbage, even after killing all the key logger/geo location/search history "telemetry" functions & the unnecessary ages of background processes & terabytes of 2 way website traffic for advertisers to filter & aggregate on the msn homepage.

That laptop, even with it's super easy to set up full disc encryption, works fantastic with Debian/Ubuntu with LXDE (or gnome2, if I feel like)..both better & faster than it ever was with XP, in fact.

I've said it before, & I'll say it again: Windows peaked with Windows 95/98 & nothing since has been as good, as simple, or as powerful for actual productivity intended uses...Them's my words & you can quote me on that.
Oh, I donno... 7 was pretty sweet.
genec is online now  
Likes For genec:
Old 07-12-19, 12:08 PM
  #14  
prairiepedaler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Jolly 'ol Winnipeg
Posts: 682

Bikes: BRC Explorer 43lb'er, Raleigh Elkhorn, Cannondale SM600, LeeWorld Mountain Sport Frame, Maruishi MT18 Frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Yes, you'll need some sort of biometric to exist in society before long. Physical cash will disappear. All privacy too. You'll be microchipped soon so the 5G network can track you even when there are no cameras around. Chinas' "social credit system" is the model for western countries. Americans will lap it up if it's sold to them as the patriotic thing to do.

If only that were science fiction.
prairiepedaler is offline  
Old 07-12-19, 12:20 PM
  #15  
markjenn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,119
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by base2 View Post
I haven't even turned on my Win10 laptop for about 6 months now. It's a slow 13 year old piece of garbage....
And you expect Win10 should be speedy on a 13-yo computer?

Back to the point of this thread, anything done to hasten the demise of passwords is a positive development. No system is perfect, but passwords need to die.

- Mark
markjenn is offline  
Old 07-12-19, 12:53 PM
  #16  
rseeker
Senior Member
 
rseeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 690
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
A PIN is what except a bad password?

Just say no to biometric identifiers, for the reason already stated.

There's no way I'm linking my phone and my desktop system.

I'm speaking from the perspective of a consumer-user. At work you use what your company provides. In a corporate setting, the risks, goals and expectations are different.
rseeker is offline  
Old 07-12-19, 01:09 PM
  #17  
Rollfast
What happened?
 
Rollfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Posts: 7,748

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1674 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion View Post
Two factor authentication using your phone is pretty solid and not too inconvenient, as long as you don't lose your phone.
My phones are hooked into a wall jack, good luck.
__________________

Our streets are paved with onions...the drivers aren't tarping
Rollfast is offline  
Old 07-12-19, 01:52 PM
  #18  
noisebeam
Al
 
noisebeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AZ
Posts: 14,631

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3509 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 59 Posts
My home PC doesn't have a password. It also has no outside connections.
noisebeam is offline  
Old 07-12-19, 01:58 PM
  #19  
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 578

Bikes: 1990s MTBs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion View Post
Two factor authentication using your phone is pretty solid and not too inconvenient, as long as you don't lose your phone.
I think it's the most annoying thing since "open office" layouts.
Squeeze is offline  
Old 07-12-19, 02:18 PM
  #20  
noisebeam
Al
 
noisebeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AZ
Posts: 14,631

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3509 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 59 Posts
My wife teaches on line classes and could not log in all last week which requires entering a number received in text message as the location she was at did not have cell service.
noisebeam is offline  
Old 07-12-19, 02:32 PM
  #21  
tyrion
Senior Member
 
tyrion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 2,390

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
My wife teaches on line classes and could not log in all last week which requires entering a number received in text message as the location she was at did not have cell service.
Yeah, that's a problem with 2 factor authentication.
tyrion is offline  
Old 07-12-19, 03:24 PM
  #22  
base2 
Senior Member
 
base2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 983

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
And you expect Win10 should be speedy on a 13-yo computer?

Back to the point of this thread, anything done to hasten the demise of passwords is a positive development. No system is perfect, but passwords need to die.

- Mark
No, I don't expect it to be a Mr. McSpeedy dream machine, but it does exceed all minimum system requirements & Win10 was marketed to be smaller, more light weight, operating system, super customizable with little to no bloatware so as to be suitable for older hardware & legacy systems.

It's chief idea was to stave-off encroaching market share growth from Debian Linux among consumers. In that arena, it failed completly. Chiefly Linux is a lighter weight UI & comes pre-packed with every tool a regular user could ever need readily available to the user & it's done so in a much smaller distribution & runs in a much less hardware taxing manner.

Microsoft basicaly figured they cound make the machine an extension of the hive mind (server farm/"cloud") and any deficiencies in processing speed of the local machine would be made up by network connectivity & called it good for older hardware. It's not. They just shifted load & added predictive analytics.

It's no wonder Microsoft used open source code, violated the GNU-GPL on several things & has been caught several times until they just bought git-hub to be done with the matter.

Like I said: I'm not surprised they have plans to be less useful & less secure. Security has never been a concern for Microsoft at any level, ever. Their software works just "good enough" the coder can go home that night & it shows in every aspect of their OS.

Hold up a photograph. Boom! Facial recognition defeated.

Toner and a piece of cellophane tape. Boom! Finger print scanner defeated.

Pair either method with a man-in-the-middle & even 2fa is useless.

Until there is a Random Number Generator chip on every CPU just like an L1 & L2 cache there will never be actual security. So lets stop pretending to believe their marketing hype.

There is a reason the government of South Korea is making the switch away from Windows. Security. Telemetry data. So says the South Korean government.
base2 is offline  
Likes For base2:
Old 07-12-19, 03:57 PM
  #23  
tyrion
Senior Member
 
tyrion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 2,390

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by base2 View Post
Until there is a Random Number Generator chip on every CPU just like an L1 & L2 cache there will never be actual security. So lets stop pretending to believe their marketing hype.
How would a random number generator on a chip help?
tyrion is offline  
Old 07-12-19, 05:43 PM
  #24  
base2 
Senior Member
 
base2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 983

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion View Post
How would a random number generator on a chip help?
Because hardware random number generators are random based on a temporary state of a transient external function.

To mitigate risk due to random number generation, you can use true hardware based random number generators. Hardware based random number generators do not require a seed, becausee instead of an algorithm they use a physical process to generate their data. Certain physical processes have random or near-random characteristics: decay of a radio active particle, therman noise, race conditions in transistors, etc. The output of the hardware based random number generators will be statistically more random then the numbers generated by your computer. Additionally, no value available on your computer is used to generate the output. However, many hardware random number generators are expensive, and slow.


Lenovo actually got in trouble for breaking encryption on the hardware level to intercept, & relay user activity to marketers for marketing purposes. My sons laptop was/is one of the ones affected. A hardware RNG on chip would've broke their capability.

Last edited by base2; 07-12-19 at 05:46 PM.
base2 is offline  
Likes For base2:
Old 07-12-19, 10:18 PM
  #25  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 19,649
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8836 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker View Post
A PIN is what except a bad password?
A PIN code is far more secure than a password. In this context anyway.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Likes For Seattle Forrest:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.